Yeti Tyre and Rim Guide

The Plumber

Sorry guys can't tune in to the detail in this thread, so I am going to do my blonde impression...

Getting a new TDi170 Elegance. It will probably default to summer tyres. What recommendations are there for winter tyres and wheels?

Ta

You really do need to read post #1 on page one of this thread - there isn't a straightforward wheel X + tyre Y option, unfortunately!

I'll try to do a brief summary, based on my understanding of the posts here in the Yeti forum, and in the Tyres forum (see the winter tyre thread - http://www.briskoda....r-tyres-thread/ ). Bear in mind that I've no experience of winter tyre use as yet, but too much sliding around 18 months ago (on new summer tyres) and SWMBO writing off her car last January on a tight snow packed bend (five more near misses and a second prang just while I was waiting for the recovery vehicle) have persuaded me they are a good investment.

Yeti wheels need to be 16" or 17" and most here have opted for OEM spec 16" steel wheels (around £50 each or thereabouts) with 215/60 tyres (matches those on the E and S spec Yetis) or 205/55 tyres (as on the Greenline) which also allow room to fit standard snow chains (though the Easy Grips Mike shows above will fit over the standard 17" too).

Tyres are a much more debatable issue. There are recommendations from other Yeti drivers on what they've found to work well in post #1. Places like http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ have good write-ups and results from tyre tests (usually done on in Europe). The 170 will need 94H rated tyres as a minimum if you're opting for 215/60 or 205/55 16"s - again it's all in post #1.

I have gone down a slightly different route after researching here and elsewhere and opted for 16" alloys (MSW 22s, not Skoda originals) with 205/55 Nokian WR A3s. The tyres only arrived today so have taken out the back seats for the first time to load up the alloys & tyres to get them matched up in the morning.

Edited by dbg400

With a 6.5J ET50 rim I would opt for the 205/55 tyre rather than the taller 215/60, which I feel better suits the slighty wider 7J rim.

TP

Just to complicate things

In America, Dunlop have a "tyre doctor" I asked him if my 16" 6.5J winter wheels (Audi alloys £60 Ebay) would be a good fit for a 215/60/16 and this was his reply.

Thank you for your email,

According to ETRTO ( European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation ) a 215/60R16C will fit between a 6J and 7J , ideally a 6.5J rim.

Regards

David Mullin

Product Support & Service

0121 306 6890

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. As Yeti is now due in Dec, I had better get on and choose my winter boots. From the advice on this forum, I have chosen 7J/1642/ET45 steel wheels with 215/60/16 winter tyres. They will fit the bigger 170 brakes right?

Only last advice I need is a decent suppier. My dealer in Cardiff says 4 steels will cost £220. I can get 4 for £194, but there is £25 delivery. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? I am being cautious as I am expecting my insurance company to turn their nose up at third party wheels.

Try Rainworth Skoda.

Have their own online shop; see post 1 links, plus an ebay account.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5892046f7f

Might get them even cheaper if you speak directly to them. Tyres again see post 1 for some of the leading online suppliers.

Oh 16" rims fit fine over 170 brakes

Regards,

TP

My Dealer has quoted £495 for 4 Skoda steel wheels with either Goodyear or Continental 205/55/16 winter tyres +Skoda wheel trims. I think they''ll store my summers as well.

I'll be ordering in about 4/6Weeks..Will report back.

Thanks guys. As Yeti is now due in Dec, I had better get on and choose my winter boots. From the advice on this forum, I have chosen 7J/1642/ET45 steel wheels with 215/60/16 winter tyres. They will fit the bigger 170 brakes right?

Only last advice I need is a decent suppier. My dealer in Cardiff says 4 steels will cost £220. I can get 4 for £194, but there is £25 delivery. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? I am being cautious as I am expecting my insurance company to turn their nose up at third party wheels.

Black Pigeon, by any chance?

Try giving Sinclairs in Swansea a ring, then seem to be more customer focussed!

And if your insurance company is a member of the Assoc of British Insurers then they have an agreement NOT to charge extra, as long as the wheels and tyres are approved by the manufacturer.

I have a quote for £227 from Bickertons for 4x 7J R16 ET45 but this includes 4x centre caps (VW badged) at £8.33 each, which the parts guy says is probably useful in stopping salt getting to the hub. I know not but seems plausible. I'm avoiding the trims @ £31 each approx according to Lookers. When the Yeti is acquired (20/9 in theory) I'll pursue the negotiations.

• 3 weeks later...

Just lined up the following

4 x 7J 16" ET45 steel wheels from a Skoda dealer = £200, (he gave me 10% discount when I pushed)

4 x Hankook W310 215/60/R16 at £85 each fitted = £340

Total = £540 ........ including VAT and fitting

Has anyone got the part number for the Caddy centre caps which I believe fit? - am I correct do they fit

Is the general consensus that show chains will just fit the above

Just had a quote that seems too cheap, from a skoda dealer...

7J/16H2 ET45 Steel Rims Rally Black - Part 3C0 601 027 M 03C.

4 for 110.92 + VAT!!

Are these the steel wheels everyone on here is talking about?

Just had a quote that seems too cheap, from a skoda dealer...

7J/16H2 ET45 Steel Rims Rally Black - Part 3C0 601 027 M 03C.

4 for 110.92 + VAT!!

Are these the steel wheels everyone on here is talking about?

If they are the Yeti 16" steel wheels as fitted to the S and E models then I think that the list price is £55.32p, each, including VAT - so you are getting them at just over half price

Look the part number earlier in this thread

Edited by BillN_33

Rainworth are selling a set of 4 7Jx16 rims for £166.99 inc delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-VW-SEAT-SET-FOUR-7J-X-16-STEEL-WINTER-WHEELS-3C0601027M03C-/380406886271?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item5892046f7f

Have to watch for the less scrupulous dealers trying to sell or charge you for the 6Jx16 rims mind, which being an Audi part are a lot more expensive; Rainworth again at £199.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-VW-AUDI-SET-FOUR-6J-X-16-STEEL-WINTER-WHEELS-8D0601027A03C-/320839075502?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item4ab37fc6ae

Both rim types are compatible for use with winter boots but the 6J is listed as only suitable for the 205/55 tyre, so best avoided anyway.

TP

Rainworth are selling a set of 4 7Jx16 rims for £166.99 inc delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5892046f7f

Have to watch for the less scrupulous dealers trying to sell or charge you for the 6Jx16 rims mind, which being an Audi part are a lot more expensive; Rainworth again at £199.99

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab37fc6ae

Both rim types are compatible for use with winter boots but the 6J is listed as only suitable for the 205/55 tyre, so best avoided anyway.

TP

I email Rainworth last week from their web site - said I would like a quote for wheels and wheels and tyres - and never got a reply

Went to the local dealer in Winchester and got 4 x 7J 16''wheels for £200 and the tyres at Setyre at £85 a corner fitted

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine from Rainworth Skoda - x4 7J steel rims at £140 and x4 Hankook W310 205/55/16 94V for £70 each fitted (£8 less than Mytyres).

Rims - you did well on the rims - I mentioned the Rainworth EBay price to the Skoda Dealer and he said that is was not possible, (unless they had sold a few basic steel wheel Yeti's and the buyer had specified Alloys)

Tyres - the 215/60's will "fill the wheel arch" better and are probably a little more useful than the 205/55's - so I reckon that it is worth paying extra for the 215/60's - keeps the speedo accurate and the ride height the same

Edited by BillN_33

Rims - you did well on the rims - I mentioned the Rainworth EBay price to the Skoda Dealer and he said that is was not possible, (unless they had sold a few basic steel wheel Yeti's and the buyer had specified Alloys)

Tyres - the 215/60's will "fill the wheel arch" better and are probably a little more useful than the 205/55's - so I reckon that it is worth paying extra for the 215/60's - keeps the speedo accurate and the ride height the same

Tyres bought on a purely practical level, aesthetics not a major concern!

I did check with Skoda UK and received the following reply, regarding recommended tyre sizes: "Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your email dated 3 October 2012, regarding the winter tyres for your Yeti registration number ******

Please find below the tyre and wheel combination that is permissible for your vehicle:

7J X 16 and the tyre size is 205/55/R16 94H

I can confirm that you would need to fit four identical wheels/tyres to make this vehicle legal for the road.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call me on 0845 7745 745.

Thank you again for contacting ŠKODA Customer Services.

Kind regards"

As you can see Skoda UK made no mention of 215/60/16.

My insurance company would only contemplate allowing the manufacturers recommended tyre size, hence my contact with Skoda UK.

I was trying to find the 'official' recommendations in the manual, but it just states the the recommended sizes are in the paperwork provided with the vehicle. I've been through everything supplied with mine, and there's no mention of winter wheels/tyres other than the manual (which just gives the sizes if you want to use snow chains with them). The German wheel/tyre guide is what I based my choice on - the same as the Skoda UK recommendation above.

Why 205 55R16? To shake us a little more stronger? No thanks...

I have 215 60R16 Kleber Krisalp HP2 and it's look very good... :happy: even if i paid little more..

Edited by laur

Why 205 55R16? To shake us a little more stronger? No thanks...

I have 215 60R16 Kleber Krisalp HP2 and it's look very good... :happy: even if i paid little more..

Because that is one of the tyres that Skoda and it's engineers consider to be correct, suitable and safe, and have therefore Type Approved the Yeti with that size.

Personally I would accept that they know best and would be very wary of going outside Type Approval.

Because that is one of the tyres that Skoda and it's engineers consider to be correct, suitable and safe, and have therefore Type Approved the Yeti with that size.

Personally I would accept that they know best and would be very wary of going outside Type Approval.

Llanigraham - Are you saying that the 215/60/R16 are not recommended ......... it seems that from your posting

I thought that this size is suitable particularly after reading this thread

First three lines of this thread

Factory fitted Rims & Tyres UK

Yeti E - steel rim 7J x16 ET45 with Rif wheel covers

Yeti S - Spectrum alloy 7J x16 ET45 (MY 2010 & 2011), Nevis alloy 7J x16 ET45 (MY 2012 on)

Tyre specification required = 215/60 R16 95H (77 & 81kW engines T rating permissable)

Edited by BillN_33

Mine was built with 215/60 R16 95H tyres, even the option codes on the data stickers on the boot floor and handbook confirm this; no problem then running them. Also check the filler flap for suitable tyres, although in my case the 205/55 is not mentioned other than in the handbook regard snow chain use on the front.

TP

Llanigraham - Are you saying that the 215/60/R16 are not recommended ......... it seems that from your posting

I thought that this size is suitable particularly after reading this thread

First three lines of this thread

Factory fitted Rims & Tyres UK

Yeti E - steel rim 7J x16 ET45 with Rif wheel covers

Yeti S - Spectrum alloy 7J x16 ET45 (MY 2010 & 2011), Nevis alloy 7J x16 ET45 (MY 2012 on)

Tyre specification required = 215/60 R16 95H (77 & 81kW engines T rating permissable)

Precisely the reason for my contact with Skoda customer services.

I'd already spoken to my local dealer (Rainworth's) who told me they supplied 7Jx16 steel rims and 205/55/16 94V tyres for Yeti's. I'd already looked through the documentation supplied with my car (and inside the fuel flap) and could find no reference to the recommended tyre size for winters.

My insurance company had already told me there would be no additional charge for fitting winters, assuming the manufacturers recomendations were followed.

In order to get "something in writing" I contacted Skoda UK and there response was as above.