Electric windows not working

DRJ

Apologies but the search routine isn't working at present (I've even tried searching for just "window" and that showed no results) hence apologies if this has been discussed before.

I found today that none of the three window switches on my Fabia vRS was working.

I first checked the fuses to find there were two fuses, one for each window (46+58), and both were OK.

I then realised that when mending the washers a week or so ago I used the "Convenience operation of windows" feature - i.e. "Turn the key in the lock of the driver door into the closed position and hold it there until all of the windows are closed".

I tried opening the windows using the reverse of that procedure - but no luck.

Then I put the key in the ignition and found the following:

a] drivers door window dropping and rising using switch on drivers door - but not in auto mode

b] passenger door window inoperative on drivers door switch

c] passenger door window dropping and rising using switch on passenger door - but not in auto mode (not sure if it ever did - but switch seems to have two positions)

I then found the section on "Operational problems - Automatic closing or opening does not operate" which states:

"If the battery of the car has been disconnected and then reconnected [it hasn't], the automatic closing and opening function does not operate. The system must be reactivated. Proceed as follows in order to re-establish the function

~ Turn the key in the lock of the driver door into the closing position and hold it there until all of the windows are closed.

~ Release the key.

~ Insert the key again and turn it to the closing position for about 3 seconds."

However that didn't do anything, whether I tried it with the windows initially open or closed.

Any ideas please as to how to get the window switches all working again properly - without a trip to the dealer (it's well out of warranty).

Googling also discovered this thread on this forum - but I've tried that to no effect presently...

http://briskoda.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53395&view=findpost&p=636023

I''ll go out and try again - though I can't see why taking the fuses out and putting them in again should be connected since the windows are already now working manually...

Thanks - but I'd prefer not to have to do that... Other things might go wrong if I have to resort to that...

Edited by DRJ

lower the window, then raise the window keeping the switch pulled up, then release a couple of seconds after the window is fully up

i'm not sure whether the N/S window does have auto from its own switch, as mine doesn't do ths either

lower the window, then raise the window keeping the switch pulled up, then release a couple of seconds after the window is fully up

Thanks - just tried - but that didn't change anything...

i'm not sure whether the N/S window does have auto from its own switch, as mine doesn't do ths either

Correct - I've found it's only the two switches on the driver's door that has the double action each way

Since no one's come up with a solution yet, if I disconnect the battery as was suggested earlier, what else might go wrong and/or need resetting?

• 3 weeks later...

My car broke down 100 miles from home so I limped to the nearest Skoda dealer (Furrows Oswestry) and abandoned it there for the power steering to be mended (which it was for £594.95). While it was there I thought I might as well get them to look at the windows so the matter was reported to them in writing thus:

I didn’t mention this earlier today but I suggest while you have the car you look at something not so serious, which I had been leaving since it initially happened about two weeks ago. There is a problem with the electric windows - on 25 January 2010 I found that none of the three window switches was working. I first checked the fuses to find there were two fuses, one for each window (46+58), and both were OK.

I then realised that when mending the washers a week or so previous (a joint had popped apart owing to icing up) I used the "Convenience operation of windows" feature - i.e. "Turn the key in the lock of the driver door into the closed position and hold it there until all of the windows are closed" to operate the washer stalk from the bonnet area (though I cannot say whether the new problem was connected to my using the “convenience function†thus).

I thus tried opening the windows using the reverse of that procedure - but no luck. Then I put the key in the ignition and found the following changes:

a] the drivers door window was now dropping and rising using the switch on drivers door - but not operating in auto mode

b] the passenger door window was entirely inoperative using the drivers door switch

c] the passenger door window was now dropping and rising using the switch on the passenger door

I then found the section on "Operational problems - Automatic closing or opening does not operate" which states:

"If the battery of the car has been disconnected and then reconnected [it hadn't], the automatic closing and opening function does not operate. The system must be reactivated. Proceed as follows in order to re-establish the function

~ Turn the key in the lock of the driver door into the closing position and hold it there until all of the windows are closed.

~ Release the key.

~ Insert the key again and turn it to the closing position for about 3 seconds."

However that didn't do anything, whether I tried it with the windows initially open or closed. And now I’ve found the passenger door window has again stopped working on its own switch, but the drivers windows is still going up and down manually. I’ve also tried what others have suggested – holding the switches in the “up†position after they’ve closed for a few seconds.

Any ideas please as to how to get the window switches all working again properly – is this a tweak to the car’s software settings? Or something more serious? An earthing problem perhaps?

They diagnosed the windows as a failed passenger door motor - and when they phoned me to advise that I mentioned I was surprised that was the case since both windows clearly had a problem. Anyway they replaced it - but when I picked the car up neither window was working! I left it with them but sent a letter stating:

I was dismayed, after having driven out of your compound on Saturday and decided I was happy with the steering, to try the electric windows only to find them totally dead! Whilst I can believe they were working when tested earlier, clearly the base cause of the problem hasn't yet been determined. The car is now in a WORSE condition in this respect than when I brought it in - since the drivers door window was at that time working. Please note from the detailed description of the problem related in my previous letter, that clearly there is an intermittent problem with the windows since sometimes they're working and sometimes they're not. I do hope that your diagnosis of the problem didn't merely consist of trying the switches and pronouncing the passenger door motor faulty since the window wasn't then operating - note it certainly had a day or two previously. I indeed suggested that it might be an "earthing problem" owing to the intermittent operation.

I would like your categorical assurance that the removed passenger door motor was in fact faulty, and that should include retriving the part and demonstrating its failings to me; if you are unable to effect that, I request the removed part is handed over to me so I can personally test it.

Please note that since the car is now drivable - and since I have to have it back on Monday afternoon in order to drive back down to Gloucester for work on Tuesday - if you cannot affect a full repair on Monday and assure me that the problem is fully cured I will have to take the car back as it is and arrange for my local garage to investigate the windows further.

Please note no further chargeable works are to be carried out to the windows without consulting me first, since it appears costs may already have been amassed unnecessarily in incorrect diagnosis and/or needless replacement. A detailed separate invoice will be necessary for this element of the works to cover legitimate works.

Needless to say they investigated and found the motor they'd replaced was working perfectly, so refitted it and gave up... At least they didn't charge a penny for this element of the works! And the windows were fully working when it was returned to me. So I'm now going to search the forum as to where the likely faulty earth might be found...

I've tried the "fuses reseating" solution postulated on http://briskoda.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75642&view=findpost&p=916936 - the fuses seem pretty loose in their seatings, so I might try changing them for new ones which may be fractionally thicker in blade dimension.

However although the windows are now back working in manual mode, but only from their respective door switches, the one-set resetting function using the key doesn't ( a ) close the windows and doesn't ( b ) reset the full functionality. I've also noticed that the windows are working manually WITHOUT turning the ignition on - which I hadn't realised before and which shouldn't happen...

Any further clues?

Edited by DRJ

Right !!!

Having taken the decision to replace the fuses I found that new ones were somewhat harder to push in than the originals (though not as firm as I'd like) and moreover, when I got back indoors and examined the originals, I found both had rather dirty terminals, one particularly so.

The new fuses were of course working in manual mode, but for the first time the resetting function using the key actually closed the windows too, and when completed full functionality had returned. Wonderful!

So all along it appears to have be caused by a dirty fuse(s) which even a main Skoda dealer failed to diagnose. They will be getting a stern letter of rebuke after I've tested the car over the next few days and confirmed the fault has now been correctly diagnosed and cured - at virtually no cost !!! And the "Are you a happy Skoda driver? Your opinion counts" leaflet I picked up there will be sent off with a full explanation of the debacle...

Thanks to everyone who's tried to help!

a result in the end

my windows are intermittant at the moment, but if i waggle the the switches they start to work

and yes the windows will work with the key in the ignition but turned off

• 1 year later...

Mine is doin this :( the other day before drivin off a few lights were thrown up on the dash but everything seemed fine, a restart sorted this and no issues driving the car etc. however I did notice that the onboard computer had reset itself and the clock needed to be set again,it pears that the battery had

Been disconnected but I didn't go anywhere near it.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Jordan

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I appear to be having a similar problem. A couple of months back my windows stopped working, and after a week they started working again until today!

I've tried everything in this thread and cannot get them to work, has there anything else it could be?

I've tried the search too :p

Thanks

P.s - On top of that, the manual function and the automatic function have both stopped (and did so last time as well.)

I hate using the electric windows on mine as they so frequently don't work. I open the door at car park ticket machines - even if they go down I can't rely on them going back up without a lot of cursing. They seem worse in the wet. Not good for pulling out of side turnings when you want to drop the window to clear the rain from the glass.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, however, had various issues with electric windows ending up in eventual total failure. Problem traced to dirty pins on the multi-plug entering the drivers side switch. Cleaned pins with contact cleaner restored total operation.

Prior to cleaning the pins, pulling the multi-plug in and out a few times partly restored operation in various states (sometimes 1 window would go down, sometimes both would go down, sometimes only one would go up etc) proving the fault location. This also affected the "automatic" function.

Thought I would share this in case someone else has the same problem! Worth a try for a simple fix! 

Jonny

Edited by Jonnymcc
  • Like 1