BRISKODA National Meet, it's free, find out more.  |  Blyton Park Track day, from £30.
Photo
- - - - -

uprating front door speakers in a FABIA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robbied

robbied

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Car:Fabia MK1 TDI PD

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:57

Hi, i want up uprate my speakers in my fabia which is a sdi classic x reg.
Has anyone done this and could give me some tips, also could they recommend any speakers for the car?
cheers ROB

#2 Rob.

Rob.

It's GONE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts
  • Car:94' 520i Touring

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:19

The oem speakers are a strange size so it's not really a bolt off bolt on job i'm afraid.

You can get adapter collars from people like autoleads though, which allow after market speakers to be installed, but be aware that your new speakers will need to be quite shallow as there isn't much space in the door.

Most speaker manufacturers seem to do special ranges of slim line speakers.

To remove the oem speakers mounting you'll need to drill out some rivets and then rivet in the replacement collar or use some short self tappers.

Some people use mdf rings instead of plastic collars for better sound but be aware that if you do this they'll need to be treated against water as the fabia lets a notable amount of water through the door when it rains and this can cause non treated wood to swell and split as well as just go quite manky.

When you do it be sure to buy some door trim clips from skoda first as these are weak and your guaranteed to break some. They cost pennies.

Rob.

#3 BOBAD

BOBAD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 00:56

Hi, i want up uprate my speakers in my fabia.
Has anyone done this and could give me some tips, also could they recommend any speakers for the car?
cheers ROB

Hi, try CDT speakers which are shallow. (Phone K&M in Wigan for info on 07809-22 12 86

K&M fitted a set of Rockford Fosgate components to my Fabia (which I had in my previous car.)

Was expensive, but more than worth it as the sound quality is excellent.

Don't forget to fit some sound-deadening strips (e.g. Dynamat) to the door panels while you are at it.

Bob.

Edited by BOBAD, 11 February 2010 - 01:00.

#4 anewman

anewman

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 18:57

Pioneer do OEM direct replacement speakers. I am sure when I looked at ones for the Fabia though I got the impression they listed the wrong size.

#5 KR MAN

KR MAN

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Car:FL Octy VRS Petrol

Posted 13 February 2010 - 23:59

I'd change your headunit first, you'll notice a much better sound from the OE speakers when a decent HU is powering them.

#6 petesimcock

petesimcock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 19:27

I recently fitted some alpine front speakers that i picked up at halfords for 35 quid or something. had to shell out 15 on plastic adaptors too though. used the ones for a golf and the worked great, had to drill out the rivets on the original ones other than that pretty simple stuff. they sound great, much better than stock, obviously paired with a sub though.

#7 robbied

robbied

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Car:Fabia MK1 TDI PD

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:56

Thanks for the info guys...problem is how do i take the door cards off? is it a quick job?

#8 Xavier

Xavier

aka tfboy

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 17:02

I did a tutorial on this ages ago - received a PM today by someone asking for the pics which have been lost or something. Will try and dig it out (pics may be somethign else!

edit: here it is, minus the pics: http://briskoda.net/...75

Edited by tfboy, 14 March 2010 - 17:05.

0 User(s) reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users