Indicator Relay Replacement

Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock as I drive along.

...and this is before I indicate left or right or press the emergency flashers!

Yes you have guessed it - the indicator relay is failing and I need to replace it.

But where is it and how do I get to it?

It sounds as if, it is behind the emergency flasher button / air vents area, but I am unsure.

Could someone please tell me how to find it and repalce it please?

Thanking you kindly in advance.

Happy Driver

oh, and if you need to know:

Skoda Superb 1.9tdi pd 130bhp 03/03 (Mystery Blue - but I guess the colour will not make a difference)

Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock-Tick-tock-tick-tock as I drive along.

...and this is before I indicate left or right or press the emergency flashers!

Yes you have guessed it - the indicator relay is failing and I need to replace it.

But where is it and how do I get to it?

It sounds as if, it is behind the emergency flasher button / air vents area, but I am unsure.

Could someone please tell me how to find it and repalce it please?

Thanking you kindly in advance.

Happy Driver

oh, and if you need to know:

Skoda Superb 1.9tdi pd 130bhp 03/03 (Mystery Blue - but I guess the colour will not make a difference)

Don't take this as 100%, but I belive if you remove the side panel off the dash on the drivers side, (i.e the part that gets concealled when you shut the door) it's in there somewhere, should just be a case of pull it out and replace it, to locate it exactly, listen for it to get the correct relay.

• 8 months later...

Don't take this as 100%, but I belive if you remove the side panel off the dash on the drivers side, (i.e the part that gets concealled when you shut the door) it's in there somewhere, should just be a case of pull it out and replace it, to locate it exactly, listen for it to get the correct relay.

It actualy is the hazzard waring lite switch, it comes as a complete unit, ( i was told this from skoda parts parts department ) it is around £32 but have no idea how it comes out, mine is working 1 min then nothing the next, so im looking for the best way of changing mine 2

To replace the hazard warning switch...

Find a piece of string

Carefully prise off the bezel that surrounds the triangular switch.

Now prise out the switch. DO NOT PULL IT TOO FAR OUT or you may pull off the connectors and they fall back inside the hole.

Tie the string around the wires so if they slip back in the hole you can get them back.

Replace the unit

• 2 months later...

Sounds a bit fiddely, I just popped the switch out, inserted a flat headed screwdriver at the top of the switch and the bottom ( with the switch on to get a bit more room to insert the screwdrivers in behind it) pulled the wiring loom out of the back of the switch and inserted the new 1, had enough wiring to work with, push the new switch back into the housing and worked a treat, about 5 mins work, this includes opening and closing the door of the car!!!!!

Edited by Mikeytaxi

• 1 year later...

Sounds a bit fiddely, I just popped the switch out, inserted a flat headed screwdriver at the top of the switch and the bottom ( with the switch on to get a bit more room to insert the screwdrivers in behind it) pulled the wiring loom out of the back of the switch and inserted the new 1, had enough wiring to work with, push the new switch back into the housing and worked a treat, about 5 mins work, this includes opening and closing the door of the car!!!!!

I can see the logic with the string - on mine the cables are so tight you can barely get the switch clear of the bezel, and I can totally see the wiring disappearing back into the dash when the clips are undone...

I only have a faulty illumination in the switch - ie it is dark when the lights are on, but it flashes on / off when the hazzards are on. Does anyone know if the illumination can be fixed without replacing the whole unit?

I can see the logic with the string - on mine the cables are so tight you can barely get the switch clear of the bezel, and I can totally see the wiring disappearing back into the dash when the clips are undone...

I only have a faulty illumination in the switch - ie it is dark when the lights are on, but it flashes on / off when the hazzards are on. Does anyone know if the illumination can be fixed without replacing the whole unit?

There are two separate bulbs/LEDs in the unit. The background illumination is fed from a grey/blue wire connected to pin 4. Check the wire is still connected and you get power when the lights are on. If you are REALLY handy with a soldering ironand a meter, you could replace the bulb/LED/resistor.

There are two separate bulbs/LEDs in the unit. The background illumination is fed from a grey/blue wire connected to pin 4. Check the wire is still connected and you get power when the lights are on. If you are REALLY handy with a soldering ironand a meter, you could replace the bulb/LED/resistor.

Thanks, I'll give it a go (I do SMT hand rework so should be able to handle it) - was more concerned with whether you have to destroy it to open the housing.

Well that was easy. Prised the cap off the front of the switch after removing it from the car. What greets me is a wire which was once soldered to the LED and is no longer...

IMG_20120203_125452.jpg

2 seconds with a soldering iron and better than new...

Anyone doing this should note that you don't need to go anywhere near the purple clips which look like they hold the wiring in to remove the switch from the car; the hazzard assembly pulls off the wiring connector without manipulating any tabs or similar (it is just held in by friction on the gray, spikey shaped things you can see at the side of the switch).

Many thanks, £35 saved.

• 3 years later...

Wish I'd read this first. Just removed the hazard warning switch, and as I "gently" pull the unit out, the plug comes out of the back and stays within the confines of the dash. Looks like it's gonna be a pain to pull it out so as to fit the new switch - any ideas? Thanks.

Eventually managed to get the front centre air vents out. A fair bit of effort and a lot of patience. I used 2 screwdrives and as a result the vent surround now has scuffs and scratches on it, with hindsight it would have been better to use something with a larger, flat blade, a wallpaper scraaper perhaps? Six clips just need easing in order to release the unit from it's position. Now I'm left with the problem of the socket for the hazard relay having a ridiculously short cable on it............................................

There are some proper plastic tools you can get for about £20 - but even with them the centre vent is a B&^%$ to get out.

Mine was really quite short - would only just clear the edge of the vents - but just long enough that if I held onto the connector (string in hand) I could get the switch onto it and back into the dash. 

Just checking, why are you taking it out?  One common failure which leads people to have a go with the hazard switch is actually a short in the indicator stalks from tiny bits of copper scarf contaminating the contacts - which causes the hazard switch to tick erratically.  Hopefully you haven't removed the hazard relay in vain.  There are some other posts about the indicator stalks - mine was starting to fail about 6 months ago and a squirt of contact cleaner seemed to wash it out.

The ticking is coming from the relay itself, and having previously owned an Octavia with same problem, which was resolved by replacing the relay, I thought it safe to assume that this one would be sorted by similarly replacing the relay? Just waiting for the relay through the post, so I'll soon discover if it was in vain.

The ticking always comes from the relay. In my case it was an erratic tick, and fiddling with the indicators a little would change it / make it start / stop. Hope you get sorted anyhow. :)

• 8 months later...

My skoda yeti instrument cluster turning LED( Green colored LED) right side is not flashing, but the flasher bulbs are working. The hazard lights working normally. only the right side LED does not flash. Any idea whats gone wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine started doing it about 30K miles ago.  I used some WD40 contact cleaner then some Servisol contact lube and it has been fine ever since (touch wood).