Horn not working

Hendo

Hi

I have a Fabia 1.2 blueline 112k miles which has developed a couple of electrical faults over the winter.

Both the horn and passenger electric window have packed up. I've checked the fuses which are fine.

The car seems to let in a lot of water and after checking the forums I sealed up the back doors but is there anywhere else the water could be coming in and damaging the wiring?

The horn sits quite exposed behind the front bumper - could it just be the cold thats killed it?

Id rather find a simple (cheap) solution before it goes to the garage for its MOT at the end of the month.

Cheers in advance

It's possible your front doors have a leak as well, mine did, but that's not as wide a problem.

Also, somewhere on here a member from another country claimed there had been some kind of service announcement for the wiring the runs behind the dash and through the bulk head regarding water causing problems but I'm not sure what the details were now.

I also have a friend with a Fabia combi that had all kinds of electrical issues. They took the loom out and he claims drilled holes in it (must be in a hard tubing?) to let the water drain out, then left it a few days to dry out completely and it's been since?

TBH though, no horn and a failing passenger window could easily be just two normal failures.

Water still coming in could also be from the particulate filter which is under the dash on the right of the glove box.

Also check both your little vents/grates on either side of the bottom of the windscreen, just under the bonnet, are clear as if blocked the water finds other ways down.

If it's the rear passenger footwell that's still wet it could be the rear washer pipe leaking?

Edited by Rob.

The horn stopped working on my old Fabia. Our friendly local dealer cleaned up the contacts on the steering wheel for me FOC and all was well again :thumbup:

Mine only works when you press the left side of the steering wheel pad. Presumably it needs battery and airbag removal first to get at the contacts?

• Like 1

Mine only works when you press the left side of the steering wheel pad. Presumably it needs battery and airbag removal first to get at the contacts?

Yes - that's what they did on mine. I didn't fancy playing with the airbag so I left it to the dealer

Hi,

Have a check at the carpet after a down pour. The reason is that water can escape through a drain hole and fills up and then escapes through the pollen filter in my case, I have a forum going at present to show where this point on my car and different models have different places.

Heres the link to the page http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/153416-leaking-water-ingress-funny-smell-inside-car/

Have a look and read and it may help.

• 7 years later...

Old age  often causes horn dysfunction- theis post is well past pension age:blink:

My older cars still working without that much  fault a the Skoda Fabia! 

Some thing new trouble all the time!

To day I checker set thermostat on the air cleaner, and the "wax-unit" stood i wrong position. I took i out and warmer a little with an lighter, but it did not work. No movement! Så I locket the mechanism in "sommer-position"! 

Have to by a new one if i exist?

May be the combustion become better now wit more oxygen -molecules to the intake?

I don't think I will do more experiment with the O2-sensor. Some thing else can may be go wrong? 

All of the electronic i so sensitive... 

I will check the voltage in, and may be out, and resistant in the element...

And be patience an wait for the new part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torbo said:

To day I checker set thermostat on the air cleaner, and the "wax-unit" stood i wrong position. I took i out and warmer a little with an lighter, but it did not work. No movement! Så I locket the mechanism in "sommer-position"! 

Have to by a new one if i exist?

What code is your engine? I could look up the part for you.

• Like 1

It is an 1.2 AWY engine. One camshaft. 2003 model. If that part is possible to get new, it would be the best.

Looks like it might be all part of the engine cover?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by TMB

mystery? May be not sold in UK?

Skjermbilde 2017-05-06 kl. 21.06.08.png

Edited by Torbo
insert picture

Best solution in your location may be to find another engine cover (assuming that your AWY has the air filter in the engine cover, not a separate airbox?), fix one of them to be warmed air only, the other to be cool air only and swap them over according to time of year/temperature?

For my BBY engine, I found a Volvo airbox thermostat part that physically fitted  (after cutting a couple of millimetres off the pin) and works, but I don't know if the same one would fit your airbox, do you have any photos of the thermostat itself?

Edited by Wino
  • Like 2

Smart! This little thermostat is may be used of other factories ? 

Find a another good used  may be the best?

The little thing in the ring...  may be make an mechanical adjust. Tre position? Winter, spring/autumn and sommer?

Skjermbilde 2017-05-07 kl. 12.47.03.png

Edited by Torbo