Fabia vRS seat cover removal

weeble

Today I decided to remove the drivers seat cover and give it a wash as this was the last one I had left to do. So I thought I would take some photos along the way and try and write a guide for folks who might want to try it themselves. If i've missed anything let me know.

First remove the seat from the car and find a suitable area to work on it bearing in mind you will need to keep turning the seat over a few times.

Remove the height adjustment lever by popping out the two stoppers and removing the two torx. Then remove the reclining handle which is just held on by clips at the back

of it, (dont try and pry out the centre of it as its all one piece)

Remove all the torx holding on the plastic trim round the bottom of the seat and remove the trim.

P1010879.jpg

I'll start with the seat base as its the easiest.

Turn the seat upside down and unhook the seat cover from the back of the seat base. It can be quite awkward as there are small clips which grip the seat cover but these can be bent back into shape.

P1010881.jpg

Next work round the sides and front. These are just folded out underneath and come out easily once started.

P1010883.jpg

Hopefully you should now be left with this.

P1010885.jpg

Now its time to remove the hog rings.

P1010886.jpg

Cut the rings using a pair of sidecutters. Don't cut the wire thats moulded into the foam. Or as someone in another thread suggested you can try and use long nose pliers to try and open the rings.

P1010888.jpg

Here's the seat base with the cover removed so you can see where all the hog rings were.

P1010890.jpg

Now is onto the upright of the seat which is a bit more tricky.

First seperate the seam at the bottom of the seat cover.

P1010891.jpg

P1010892.jpg

Now pull back the seat foam to reveal two white grommets.

P1010893.jpg

Remove the two grommets. I dont think its possible to remove them without breaking them but I dont think there to important.

P1010895.jpg

Now you need to pry out the wire from the hole without bending it as it makes it awkward getting it out.

P1010897.jpg

Fold the back of the seat cover up and you can see a rod going through the seat cover onto the seat frame. Unhook the rod from the seat frame.

P1010898.jpg

Then further up the back there is an elastic strap on each side which hook on. Remove these.

P1010901.jpg

Now start to roll the seat cover up the seat. Dont worry about the wire in the seat cover as it will bend enough to get the cover up. keep going up till you reach the first set of hog rings on the front of the cover.

P1010902.jpg

Cut them and roll up some more till you find another row of rings to cut.

P1010904.jpg

In the back of the seat there is another rod through the cover hooked onto the frame. Unhook this.

P1010905.jpg

The wires which run up the front of the seat cover now come through the seat and hook onto the rod which you just removed. unhook these just by twisting them round he loop.

P1010907.jpg

P1010908.jpg

Pull the wires through the front of the seat. Note how they go over the hook hen refitting.

P1010909.jpg

P1010911.jpg

Then cut the last of the hog rings at the top of the seat.

P1010912.jpg

P1010913.jpg

Finally the seat covers just stretch round the holes for the headreastand there you have it, one dirty set of seat covers.

P1010915.jpg

Remove the wires and rods from the covers, pop them in the washing machine and they'll

come out like brand new.

The rear seats are basically just the same as doing the base for the front seat.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

When I fitted heater pads in my old Ford, I found that cable ties make a good substitute for hog rings. You have to make sure that you get the join in the correct place so it doesn't protrude into the rear of the cover.

thanks for the reply, i tackled cover on sat, i opened the hog rings slightly using 2 pairs for pointy nose pliers and reused them. cover turned out good and i'm very happy with it

• 4 weeks later...

perfect, i was after this info. replaced my rear seat bases with new covers but didnt have a clue how to remove the front seat.

i also wanted to know how to remove the covers from the upright rear seats but seems the covers i have are missing bits of plastic that were stitched on for fitment.

front seat covers are badly needing replaced but the rears arent bad and will clean up,

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

When I fitted heater pads in my old Ford, I found that cable ties make a good substitute for hog rings. You have to make sure that you get the join in the correct place so it doesn't protrude into the rear of the cover.

The only thing with using cable ties is they can stretch or slip given time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am considering removing my seat covers to wash them as I am never happy with the results from vaxing and using upholstry cleaner.

I have the standard skoda fabia vRS seats too (light grey and black), but mine are heated seats, does anyone know if this makes the job much more tricky?

As with 'faboka's comment I would also be interested to know how difficult it is to replace the seat covers?

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

Its very good you put this pictures on. I suppose to do it as well last weekend. Bear in mind dont start if you dont have patience due to those litle rings are the tricky ones. I washed 40 C with doubled washing tablets [4].

Now looks like new! :):thumbup::thumbup:

Btw. backseats are far more easy to remove those covers.

Anyone know if this foams [ only foams] can be ordered from loc. dealer as mine just old-old and fragile.

This looks very good guide and pictures help :) I've saved it all for when I get some spare time to do it in the next few weeks/ months! :)

Would be interested to see some pictures of the seat covers after the wash and a write up with pictures of the covers going back on as I imagine thats even more tricky than getting them off in the first place?

• 1 month later...

so happy to have read your guide,looked to change cover some while back but was put off by the rings,sadly a recent spilliage of nasty substance prompted me to remove back seat covers,wash/mach-tumble dry like brand new,thanks to your guide i gave it a go :thumbup:

What temp did you use on the washing machine? i did mine on a 40 and they still aint that clean,

i washed my rear covers this week after a spill of heating oil in the boot forced my hand,

as it soaked into the foam of the seat cushion ,nasty smell, stuck it in the wash machine 60 degree pretty good result,also had to replace seat cushion lucky had a spare one piece from a wreck bought for parts,a little bit nervous cutting it to fit my split rear ,but needs must, lucky it was the small seat as the larger one needs to be modified slightly to accomadate the framework where the bracket sits. hope this is helpful to you :rofl:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Replaced the seat base foam and cover on my FIL's fabia today after they both ripped. Had to swap the heated seat element over.

Buy hog ring pliers and rings from ebay - 20quid all in. Did the job fantastically well.

Saved £200 quid labour charges - a little fiddly - took 2 hrs from start to finish.

You'd never know it wasn't a garage that had done it - looks perfect.

Thanks for this guide - it was invaluable.

Here's the finished product. Don't worry, he's going to clean the top part of the seat!

photo1.jpg

Edited by evan15281

• 2 weeks later...