How To: Remove / Delete SAI , N249 and N112

Bowders1

I have done this on mine, removed the SAI, N249 and N112 and I always get the secondary air injection ecu error.  I fitted one of the arcol resistors to my secondary pump connector and still got the CEL light come back.  I haven`t fitted resistors to anything else.  Is it all in our heads?  Fitting resistors to the N249 and N112??  Because my car went through an emissions test and passed its MOT without any resistors fitted.  So how can it be affecting fuelling? 

Don`t get me wrong I would love to get the CEL light to go away on mine because it makes me paranoid. 

A question for Bowders..

Is there a specific way round the arcol resistor has to be connected to the SAI connector for it to work and the other connectors??  My car did just recently fail emissions test but i'm certain its nothing to do with the removal of these components as my car passed its emissions last time with everything removed..  The new MOT'er I used recently insists it failed emissions though because the CEL light is on lol.  I scanned it today using Torque and the only error is the secondary air injection valve failure as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done this on mine, removed the SAI, N249 and N112 and I always get the secondary air injection ecu error.  I fitted one of the arcol resistors to my secondary pump connector and still got the CEL light come back.  I haven`t fitted resistors to anything else.  Is it all in our heads?  Fitting resistors to the N249 and N112??  Because my car went through an emissions test and passed its MOT without any resistors fitted.  So how can it be affecting fuelling? 

Don`t get me wrong I would love to get the CEL light to go away on mine because it makes me paranoid. 

A question for Bowders..

Is there a specific way round the arcol resistor has to be connected to the SAI connector for it to work and the other connectors??  My car did just recently fail emissions test but i'm certain its nothing to do with the removal of these components as my car passed its emissions last time with everything removed..  The new MOT'er I used recently insists it failed emissions though because the CEL light is on lol.  I scanned it today using Torque and the only error is the secondary air injection valve failure as usual.

Hi Buddy.

Typically the car should not fail emissions through removal of those parts even without resistors fitted. I would be more inclined to check your hoses are all tight and not split etc

Are you running a sports cat as these can be very tight on emissions and mine recently failed too. Also sometimes over fueling on a performance maps can cause high emissions. My old postal map failed emissions

I have since fitted a high power fuel pump which also cold effect my emissions 

I know a lot of folks not running with resisters at all and pass emissions, Resistors  is really to stop cell lights and fool the ECU in thinking the removed components are still attached which don't always work as you found. 

A number of things can effect the emissions hope you get it sorted..

• 1 month later...

Stil have yet to do this, but..... FYI for anyone looking, the p/n for the bracket that holds the temp sensor (in the way of the SAI hose removal/blanking) is 06A 121 132 AP. It includes an o-ring for the block but not one for the temp sensor. I will add the number for the temp sender o-ring when I get it.. not sure if it will be required but better safe than sorry!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

sorry to bring this back up after so long "yes nearly 3 years"

Bowders,

Sorry to bother you but I just want to bring up a question about the SAI removal, and the N249 removal.

you quotes this in your Blog "The original DV hose can be removed and replaced with a longer hose that goes from DV to inlet manifold nipple that used to have a hose from the T piece from the N249 valve."

Can you please let me know which and where this goes as I'm getting a bit stuck,

your help would be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Hi mate if you removed all the items including hard lines and hoses you should have a spare nipple under right side of inlet manifold to take new DV hose to inlet nipple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I can't really express how much restoring all the pictures in this thread would be helpful, in fact if you have them all and want to build up a new thread or something (one which should be stickied) i can permanently host the images someplace where they'll never ever be deleted

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the write up Bowders, can't wait to do this to mine.

Could a leak in this SAI or related areas be cause to my loss of power? I don't seem to get the same amount of power, used to touch the peddle and can feel the torque building up quite quickly, now it's just mostly flat and almost have to wind it up to change gear. Occasionally some of the power comes back, but not like before. My fuel economy is rubbish too, I guess the engine is running real rich as the fuel isn't getting the necessary amount of air to burn it. Grrrrrr

Edited by mynameismud76

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Almost read to do the deletes and have found this Youtube clip making this little project even clearer:

Hope others might find it useful.

Does anyone know what's are the two lines he pulled from behind the coolant reservoir? 

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/08/2017 at 20:53, mynameismud76 said:

Hi all, 

Almost read to do the deletes and have found this Youtube clip making this little project even clearer:

Does anyone know what's are the two lines he pulled from behind the coolant reservoir? 

Cheers.

The two lines are the breather system for the fuel tank such that as the tank empties and you refuel, the vapour vents through the carbon canister and not direct to the atmosphere.  Part of the emissions control system.   For my mk1 Octavia vrs,  I have deleted the SAI and simplified the vacuum system together with a catch can but left the carbon canister in place. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring thos back up.

Just to confirm, am I correct there is only 3 resistors needed. one for SAI and two for the N249 and 112.

so 3 on total???

Edited by drew_smith