Installation of Speaker Cable Through Fabia Doors

I thought I would post a copy of a thread I posted on another forum as it has proved of use to others doing a Fabia/Polo/Ibiza installs

Stage 1:

Strip out the lower parts of the dash for both the drivers and passengers sides of the car, this generally involves the glovebox for the passenger side

Stage 2:

Open the door, inside the door jam you will see a rubber boot connecting between the door and the car.

06032010470.jpg

Stage 3:

Remove the rubber boot on the car side (easiest to push the boot away to release the two clips closest and then pull towards to release the other two). This should expose a number of cloloured blocks and connectors.

Stage 4:

Remove all the connection blocks, this is done by pressing a clip on the edge of each of the individual blocks. Once complete the rubber boot with cables can be moved away.

Stage 5:

You are now left with a block in the door holding a number of coloured connectors, on the top and bottom of this block there are a couple of location clips, release these to bring the block into the door jam (you may need to adjust the door jam to get the block out)

06032010467.jpg

Stage 6:

Now the block is out you can remove the smaller coloured blocks from the larger holding block, this is done through releasing the clips either side of the coloured blocks (note you will need a thin piece of metal or a small screw driver to remove the middle blocks.

06032010468.jpg

Stage 7:

Once all the blocks have been removed, you can then feed the cable with ease into the door from inside the car.

06032010469.jpg

Stage 8:

Once complete remake all connections and poke all the blocks back into the into the car (keep the large retaining block don't re-install). Then clip the boot back into place. Note: the boot has a lip that protects the cables against the metal edge and hence damage.

Stage 9:

Admire your work:

06032010470.jpg

• 9 months later...

I know it's probably an ancient post, but thanks for this. I'm doing my install "properly" in my vRS after a year of having it bodged on to the ISO connector behind the head unit and this was very helpful.

I've managed to keep the black plug block ;) I can nicely get two pairs of speaker wire (errr... 16awg? 12awg? I forget) down one side of that block if you cut the block down one of the sides. Top right hand side of the block I think it was. Seemed to be a larger gap than the other sides where the white clip part clips in. You do have to lose one of the clips on the white clip part though, but it is still in securely.

The window runner metal bar right behind the speaker is a royal pain!!!! I've got a massive spacer to compensate - 2 x 19mm marine ply rings wasn't quite enough! Probably want to be looking at more like 2x21mm. Then more spacers are required between the speaker and door card to stop the speaker from hitting that and rattling. Probably a good cm extra there. The door card is a pig to clip back on after that, but you can just about manage it.

I didn't really want to cut the door card if I can help it, as I am sure they are more expensive to replace if I want to return to stock...!

Doesn't seem like a nice design really, though I am sure there's worse....

Rivets on the OEM woofer? Drill them out :)

For my aftermarket woofer I am using a 2 x 19mm marine ply spacer rings on each door so they can't really be riveted back (and I hate rivets anyway). They are screwed in using ... I'm not sure what they're called! It's sort of like a bolt, only for a screw. I then just screw the speaker to the attached-to-door spacer.

If you are replacing an OEM speaker, just drill the rivets out and use a rivet gun to rivet the new one back in.