Hand Brake adjustment...cannot find the thread with the info

Hi Stemcell

I have not had chance to mine yet, but I assume its the same as the Octavia, if it is lift the center console at the back, and there should be a adjusting nut (10mm)

I think and have the wheels just off the ground, tighten the nut till the wheels just lock, then turn the nut back 1/2 to 3/4 turn and should be ok.

I assume the disk pads and disks are ok ?

Radiotwo

I hope that you have fully checked over the rear brakes before trying to compensate for a "long" hand brake travel by shortening the cable. My wife's Polo is 7.5 years old nearly and has done 67,000 miles and its hand brake cable has never needed shortening, neither have any of my previous "modern" cars. Modern cables are well manufactured and should not stretch until abused - I'd reckon.

As the title says, i need to adjust my handbrake as its getting a little high and I know I have seen a how to thread before but for the life in me I cannot find it.....help.

I prefer to adjust the handbrake as follows:-

adjust the 10mm nut until you have a max of 4 clicks when you pull up the lever.

This is more accurate than adjusting it tight ,then turning back a few turns.

As the title says, i need to adjust my handbrake as its getting a little high and I know I have seen a how to thread before but for the life in me I cannot find it.....help.

Hello,

At the rear of the central console on your Fabia, remove/lift-out little cup-type tray, which will expose rear brake cable.

The use of a 10m/m open ended spanner is needed to turn the adjuster nut, which has flat spots on it.

As adjustment is being made by turning adjuster nut, cable will become tight then as peak of flat spot is passed, cable then becomes slack again.

Ensure your pads and discs are sound, and brake cable movement can be seen by applying then releasing handbrake, (ensure's a cable has not snapped)

Too much tension on cable will not let it return to correct rest position at rear of caliper.

MOT testers generally look for 4 clicks to fully lock up rear brake, not to be confused with maximum hand-brake travel.

Good luck.