Roof Bars

haggettd

The biggest problem is the feet. The Yeti has a stupidly thick rail bar meaning that more regular fittings do not work. Oh for standardisation across a brand.

I have the Thule Aero bars and the Thule foot pack. I had swapped my 127 cm bars with my neighbour as the Thule website stated you need 120cm for the Yeti, WRONG, YOU NEED 127CM , so swapped back and bought feet. Fitting takes about 10 minutes and is really secure and not much wind noise, hardly noticeable. I also have the Thule atlantis 200 roof box which is styled so the bars are hidden / covered by the box to cut down wind noise. I have used this a number of times and they are an excellent combination.

You can search e bay or use Skidrive or roofracks.co.uk, both are competitive on prices and delivery

I have the Thule Aero bars and the Thule foot pack. I had swapped my 127 cm bars with my neighbour as the Thule website stated you need 120cm for the Yeti, WRONG, YOU NEED 127CM , so swapped back and bought feet. Fitting takes about 10 minutes and is really secure and not much wind noise, hardly noticeable. I also have the Thule atlantis 200 roof box which is styled so the bars are hidden / covered by the box to cut down wind noise. I have used this a number of times and they are an excellent combination.

You can search e bay or use Skidrive or roofracks.co.uk, both are competitive on prices and delivery

Is that the 775 footpack & 869 Areo bars? (127cm)?

Is that the 775 footpack & 869 Areo bars? (127cm)?

Yes that's exactly what I'm using. Bought the footpack off e bay brand new for a lot less than retail. The footpack has a heavy duty rubber strap which locks and tensions into the footpack and it also takes on part of the roof rail shape. Really secure fitting.

The biggest problem is the feet. The Yeti has a stupidly thick rail bar meaning that more regular fittings do not work. Oh for standardisation across a brand.

This was a bad description really as clearly you can get the Thule feet for the Yeti. What I meant was that the Yeti bars seem to be very thick and so many metal feet which people would have for other cars will not work. You need the metal housing/rubber straps.

A little like mobile phones and chargers, you seem to need different bars for every car.

Yes that's exactly what I'm using. Bought the footpack off e bay brand new for a lot less than retail. The footpack has a heavy duty rubber strap which locks and tensions into the footpack and it also takes on part of the roof rail shape. Really secure fitting.

Thank dude, looks like I will purchase those feet, then try them with my old Thule square bars (I assume they will have the same internal profile as the Aero bar?) If that is a problem, Aero bars (127cm) and bike racks (4x) next. Trying old rails (from Octavia LE Estate) tonight will advise all.

Tried my old Thule "Claw" style foot pack last night, definitely a non starter on the Yeti rails (sore back to prove it!), so I need to purchase the 775 footpack. Pretty sure this will work with my current 762 square rapid bars.

I tried my Passat roof bars. No good, the Passat rails are substantially thinner. I wondered if the Lidl feet would fit into the slot on the Passat rails. Guess i'll have to try and find some and check.

tom

Just bought the 775 foot pack and 769 (127cm) steel rails second hand from fleebay. Foot pack appears not to have actually been used, still sealed in original packaging; total cost £85. Bought a Thule Ranger bag box from skidrive; first one had a small hole in one of the seams and it's replacement appears generally less well made than the first and shows signs of trial fitting :S but I haven't found a hole in it as yet :wonder: :D

TP

• 3 months later...

I got my new Yeti with the original Skoda roof bars (LAS 630 001). But since it was already installed in place I don't have the manual/information pages of the product. Can anyone who bought the product scan those pages (pdf) and post it here?

Thank you.

Ari

I know that you got the manual.

But, if someone else want the manual, here is a scan in english.

LAS 630 001

-----

Do you want your own Dropbox?

http://db.tt/dNqpoQQ

Hi i have the skoda roof bars and leave my screws in when they are off (less chance of loosing them lol) and no wind noise.

Firstly i bought some bargain roofbars from lidl and had to mod them slightly they worked but where tricky to fit and always made me worry as the width was on its limits of existance with my roofbox attached.

This year i decided to take the plunge and purchased the skode original bars and have to say i am glad i did , under 5 mins to install and secure and smart when fitted on a family holiday last week no security worries and on motorways in reasonble winds coming out of wales at 85-90mph all was well.

Really great value.

Peter

You can't beat the proper Skoda bars in my view.

John

It depends what you are willing to do in my oppinion. Thule system allows you to have 127 cm bars. Those 7 additional cms can be significant difference.

Edit: spellcheck

Edited by EZ_lo

I have the Skoda bars, lockable and only take a few moments to fit or remove, which is great if you only want to use them occasionally, a lot of third party ones seem to end up as permanent fixtures as they are more trouble to fit and remove.

One thing to note: ALWAYS order your Škoda roof bars WITH your chassis number OR specify if you have silver or black rails. The roof bars have colour coded bolts that gets permanently fitted to the car's roof rails. As you can see in the Rosso Bronello example above that car has black bolts on silver rails. Not ideal.

See more pictures here showing black bolts on black bars and silver bolts on silver bars:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/208363-my-near-yeti-twin/page__view__findpost__p__2462891

Had mine since the summer. Skoda parts. Dealer did the original fit (free) with the fitting of the screws. Carried bike racks/bikes for a while. I've taken them off since - dead easy - and they'll go back on in March when I want to mount the ski box for the journey to the Alps.

From the LAS 630 001 manual:

For safety reasons the screws in the longitudinal carrier of the car can be mounted (dismantled) repeatedly, three times at the maximum.

LAS 630 001

Yes, that's fine. The screws, once fitted, stay where they are in the roof rails - no need to remove them at all, let alone three times. The bars can then be lifted on and off the screws as often as you like.

Yes, that's fine. The screws, once fitted, stay where they are in the roof rails - no need to remove them at all, let alone three times. The bars can then be lifted on and off the screws as often as you like.

THAT is why it is important to get the bolts in the right colour. All ten of them will stay permanently on the car. So with the bars taken off they stand out like sore thumbs if they are the wrong colour.

THAT is why it is important to get the bolts in the right colour. All ten of them will stay permanently on the car. So with the bars taken off they stand out like sore thumbs if they are the wrong colour.

Johann; eight fingers, two thumbs :thumbup: (unless you're born in Norfolk, in which case all bets are off). :giggle:

• 2 years later...

I have the old Aerobar Thule 861 at 120cm and they look like theyll fit ok, they are 127cm in length including the end caps.

Thule list 127cm bars now as they no longer sell a 120cm bar.

I'll let you know when the feet arrive.

• 1 year later...