Jack & Wheel Wrench

desertstorm

I guess this has been covered elsewhere but I have been told by a new Yeti owner that the car comes with both a Jack & Wheel Nut Wrench ,whether or not it comes also with a spare wheel. I have neither of these nor a spare wheel - what is the position? Can anyone advise please?

• Like 1

I remember it being said in an earlier thread that Yetis without the spare tyre do not come with a jack. I have the spare and so cannot vouch for this myself.

Mine is without a spare so no jack or wheel wrench.

I had kept the jack and wrench from my 1998 Passat and they fitted in the polystyrene in the boot floor perfectly (the Passat screwdriver also fitted). Not bad considering they were built nearly 12 years apart.

tom

If you haven't got a spare, why would you need a jack?

Because you still need to be able to remove wheels to check/change brake pads? To rotate wheels front to back to even out tyre wear? To clean all the crud off the inside of your smart alloy wheels?

Chris

Well to do those jobs, I wouldn't trust a provided jack, and would use either a trolley or bottle jack and a set of axle stands, all kept nice and safe in the shed. And most tyre companies don't recommend rotating tyres nowadays, especially on 4x4 vehicles.

Well to do those jobs, I wouldn't trust a provided jack, and would use either a trolley or bottle jack and a set of axle stands, all kept nice and safe in the shed. And most tyre companies don't recommend rotating tyres nowadays, especially on 4x4 vehicles.

I use the jack to lift one side of the car so I can lower it on to axle stands. I also prefer to swap tyres front to back (on the same side) to equalise wear. Then when they have to be replaced I can buy 4 new identical tyres rather than be forced to keep the same make/type regardless of whether they have now been superceded by better tyres (or even worse have unmatched tyres on front & rear).

Chris

I have just taken delivery of my Yeti, ordered with spare wheel, but some clot at the Dealership had swapped it into another car sold the previous day, so mine has the low floor & bottle of goo. The spare wheel is now on order.

However, the boot box does contain a jack and handle , a compressor, & the bottle of goo. I am told that the jack is standard whether or not you have a spare wheel.

The Yeti handbook does recommend swapping tyres front to back as they wear, to ensure that the ESP etc works correctly. Presumably if you dont, you will end up with slightly differing tyre circumferences which may upset the electronics.

My Ford RS2000 4x4 handbook also recommends swapping front to back (but keeping tyres on the same side) as the centre diff keeps cooler on "sustained hgh speed motorway journeys" because it isn't having to allow for different tyres circumferences front/back. I guess it does make sense. (Ford don't recommend swapping tyres on their 2WD models, but then there are no fancy electronics on the Ford system!)

The Yeti handbook does recommend swapping tyres front to back as they wear, to ensure that the ESP etc works correctly. Presumably if you dont, you will end up with slightly differing tyre circumferences which may upset the electronics.

Hi,

sorry to hear about the dealer nabbing your spare for someone else, hope they can get you a replacement soon.

In regard to the Monsters 4x4 Haldex Gen IV system, this is designed to cater for differing tyre wear and the use of spacesaver spare wheels; the following is an extract from the Haldex site My link

"The function of the coupling is automatically adjusted to prevailing conditions. When starting in sand for example, the shafts are coupled together as firmly as possible to obtain the best traction. When close cornering, i.e. parking, the shafts are uncoupled to allow easy manoeuvring. The controllability of the Haldex Gen IV also makes it possible to use differently worn tyres, to tow the vehicle with one axle raised, and to maintain function when using Run-flat-tyres or Mini-Spare."

So unlike the previous systems it is possible to just replace one tyre if it gets wrecked rather than both on a given axial or possible all 4. Having said that I would still be inclined to replace both on the same axial unless there was minimal tread depth difference (obliviously sticking with same brand and pattern).

Regards,

TP

I have just taken delivery of my Yeti, ordered with spare wheel, but some clot at the Dealership had swapped it into another car sold the previous day, so mine has the low floor & bottle of goo. The spare wheel is now on order.

However, the boot box does contain a jack and handle , a compressor, & the bottle of goo. I am told that the jack is standard whether or not you have a spare wheel.

My Ford RS2000 4x4 handbook also recommends swapping front to back (but keeping tyres on the same side) as the centre diff keeps cooler on "sustained hgh speed motorway journeys" because it isn't having to allow for different tyres circumferences front/back. I guess it does make sense. (Ford don't recommend swapping tyres on their 2WD models, but then there are no fancy electronics on the Ford system!)

Low floor and a bottle of goo, but has it got the compressor?

Sounds like they didn't order the spare wheel. Have you got the right car, check the VIN?

tom

Low floor and a bottle of goo, but has it got the compressor?

Sounds like they didn't order the spare wheel. Have you got the right car, check the VIN?

tom

Thanks Tom

Yes, the compressor is there, and the various "tools" normally supplied for a no-spare wheel car.

Whilst in the showroom, the car did have the spare wheel & associated boxes/raised floor in it but, apparently, everything was swapped with another car whilst the PDI was being done.

I think that some of the luggage area accessories are missing too, though I'm not sure what is normally supplied. Other cars on the forecourt had a semi circular plastic thing attached to the off side wheel arch, some luggage restraint nets on the sides & floor, and a plastic bar across both left & right hand panels behind the wheel arches to create stowage for bits & pieces. I've not got any of these. There also seem to be some retainers missing beneath the door catch on the slam panel that the handbook suggests are for securing a warning triangle. However, I dont know if all these are supposed to be present as standard on an Elegance, or are additional accessories.

It's fair to say that I'm not terribly impressed with the dealer so far, though the car itself is excellent if a bit thirsty at the moment.

John

Hi John,

not sure if you have come across this guide My link but it might help answer some of your questions. The warning triangle location is move from the rear panel to the removable storage box with the spare fitted for access reasons. I understand the supplied nets also differ with or without spare.

Regards,

TP

Remember the warning triangle is a retailer supplied accessory (£10.00), it's not a standard fitment.

The nets are different in that with no spare the hooks on the nets are at the corners of the net, with a spare the hooks at the bottom of the nets are on 4" extensions so the net itself doesn't go below the level of the raised floor.

tom

I have a 1.8 SE, ex-demonstrator. If I'd ordered this car I would probably have had the spare etc, I have no spare or jack, and can see no way of retro fitting them as the tyre well is not the right shape without the higher floor. So - I cannot see a way of fitting a wheel in the boot well without the new boot floor which is factory fitted (?). It does have the goo and the pump, also does have a wheel brace - why brace when you have no jack or spare?

As mentioned before in these threads, these take up a fair amount of space, it's unlikely but obviously not impossible, that you will need to use the spare. In the event of this happening to me recently I got the rescue people to sort it. This was the first time in about 25 years that I needed to use the spare. Most of the time you need a new tyre you are warned of this - by odd handling, flat tyre / slow puncture, or MOT saying you have a damaged wall (easy way to print money) and you go to the tyre fitter. All of us without the spare have no option in case of an emergency - get on the blower quick or use the goo.

Touch wood, I'll never need to use the rescue, if I do it will probably be during office hours and I'll be near an open tyre fitting shop - because that's when I drive most often. Other wise I'll be hobbling on the temporary goo filed tyre. The worse scenario is when you're on a long holiday journey through darkest Spain, full boot and screaming child, then a blow at 3am. At least I'll never have to get all the luggage out of the boot to get to the spare - I'll keep that bottle handy.

If it does happen, then I'll curse the idiot who ordered this car and the person who designed it.

Maybe get the aero roof tray and keep the spare on that? Paranoid?

Hi,

When you are to access your jack and spare wheel I think its difficult to keep the cover open while trying get it out.

Then the shoppingbag hooks came to rescue emoticon-0148-yes.gif :

CIMG0480.jpg

CIMG0481.jpg

Do you think the raised floor can be fitted by a garage, or me? Or does it have to be factory fitted?

ANSWER ;-

On all the vehicles I've owned , the jack has been the most used tool. If you check your jack it has the maxm.load stamped on it . This load will be at least 75% the total weight of the vehicle . To suggest it's not safe to lift the vehicle is ridiculous.

It is not necessary to get under most cars to change brake pads or even discs. If you wanted some extra security then a block of hardwood can be placed under the sill/jacking point adjacent to the jack but first you have to lift the vehicle above the block.. I have never had a jack failure but I am aware of two hydraulic bottle jack failures.. With a jack at least you can apply copperslip to the alloy wheel mounting & locating surfaces in order to prevent alloy wheel seizure on the drive hub/flange and examine any slow puncture causes.

Fine, you take your view and I'll take what I've always been trained; that car jacks are only designed for changing wheels, and as soon as any other dismantalling is required then something more secure is needed, which if you note I said AXLE STANDS

Hi John,

not sure if you have come across this guide My link but it might help answer some of your questions. The warning triangle location is move from the rear panel to the removable storage box with the spare fitted for access reasons. I understand the supplied nets also differ with or without spare.

Regards,

TP

Thanks TP, must admit that I had forgotten your guide which has been a great help, many thanks. I've just found a bag under the middle seat containing the 2 nets that you show. Presumably slipped there whilst tow bar was being fitted. The plastic trim below the tailgate lock definitely has its retainer studs missing - it's only held in place by the tailgate rubber seal - so that's another thing for the dealer to fix! I note that you have looped the top elastic of each net over your hooks.... if you check the hook mounting rail, there are a couple of slits toward each end for the elastic loops, which then enables you to place the big hooks anywhere along the rail. (See, I did read the handbook eventually!!)

Cheers, John

Remember the warning triangle is a retailer supplied accessory (£10.00), it's not a standard fitment.

The nets are different in that with no spare the hooks on the nets are at the corners of the net, with a spare the hooks at the bottom of the nets are on 4" extensions so the net itself doesn't go below the level of the raised floor.

tom

More useful info there Tom, thanks. The nets do appear to be the "longer" correct ones for a car with spare wheel, so presumably the other customer will now be having difficulty with his!

Thanks, John

Fine, you take your view and I'll take what I've always been trained; that car jacks are only designed for changing wheels, and as soon as any other dismantalling is required then something more secure is needed, which if you note I said AXLE STANDS

I totally agree with you re the use of the proper kit when working on a vehicle that is raised on a jack. The "half scissor" jack supplied with the car is intended purely for changing of a wheel in an emergency. Absolutely anything else requires the use of a proper jack and axle stands, and then only on firm ground (Tarmac, Concrete etc) where there is no risk of any of the support kit digging into the ground. I've seen too many near misses (mostly in motorsport service areas) where jacks have failed because people are using equipment in a way that the manufacturer never intended. Buy a trolly jack & stands - £30-£35 is a small price to pay to preserve your life!

I would even go further and say that you should never use the supplied jack to change a wheel if you are at the side of a busy road or motorway hard shoulder. The draught from a passing truck is highly likely to overload the OEM jack & cause it to fail. Get the RAC, AA or similar out & let them risk their life, not yours!

Edited by speedsport

I agree with you if working under a vehicle or any operation that requires high lateral torques . I would never get under any vehicle without axle stands ( I have 3 different types - heaviest pair is rated at 6 tons each !). There has been a big improvement in the design safety of modern jacks . Some of the older car jacks were very dodgy and I agree were only suitable for wheel changing. The most important thing about using jacks is they should only be used on good solid ground.

I always carry a 6"x 4" x 10" hardwood piece of timber to put under the jack.

• 4 years later...

I have discovered that my car only has `goo`and a compressor.....and no Jack or tools  :sweat:  

I purchased one of these online http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/trolley-jacks/tj2c-2-trolley-jack-with-case which has a neat case to keep things in. Its compact and relatively lightweight. Price-wise not far off a standard VAG scissor jack price and I think it might fit in the underfloor foam tool holder thing (minus the case). We will see...

Dave

I totally agree with you, but where on the Yeti do you support with axle stands?  I have not yet found anywhere that looks strong enough and do all my wheel changing, underbody cleaning and protection using a heavy trolley jack.