Jack & Wheel Wrench

desertstorm

The same place the jack goes, except you will need a pad to go round the welded seam. Ice hockey pucks with a groove cut in them are popular. I have one and it does work. It's a bit of a bind cutting the groove, but the plastic is good and tough.

I'm sure the issue has been covered on here sometime

I totally agree with you, but where on the Yeti do you support with axle stands?  I have not yet found anywhere that looks strong enough and do all my wheel changing, underbody cleaning and protection using a heavy trolley jack. 

I totally agree with you, but where on the Yeti do you support with axle stands?  I have not yet found anywhere that looks strong enough and do all my wheel changing, underbody cleaning and protection using a heavy trolley jack. 

I agree, there's nothing in the handbook that gives advice on jacking other than with the supplied jack, and nothing about positioning stands. I think this is a serious error.

For years, Ford owners handbooks have/had an illustration of the underside of the car showing exactly where alternative jacking points are and where to place "axle" stands (though not on the axle, obviously).

The only approved place to jack the Yeti is at the base of the A pillar and just in front of the C pillar - and Skoda make a point of saying that you must do this with all the doors shut.

I use my trolley jack (with an ice hockey puck on top) at the standard jacking points and then for safety, place my axle stands under the large insulated mounts under the front bulkhead. However I don't remove the trolley jack, I merely lower it so that the car is just touching the stands rather than them taking the full weight so they are just an emergency support should the worst happen. At the rear, I place them under the rear suspension arm mounting with a piece of wood packing cut to the right shape, again as am emergency prop only.

I work on the principle should the jack fail and my car is damaged as a result of my stands being in the wrong place, then so be it - they have just saved my life.

Most of the time I run the car up onto ramps that are made from old railway sleepers cut lengthways and very solid!

A quick point is that the supplied wheel nut wrench is rarely up to the job and it is likely you will find it very difficult to undo the wheel nuts with it  - specially after the wheels have been removed/replaced by a garage using a powered system. I found out the hard way and now carry a 3 foot breaker bar and socket in the boot, doesn't take up much space and haven't found a wheel nut yet it won't loosen!

I agree, there's nothing in the handbook that gives advice on jacking other than with the supplied jack, and nothing about positioning stands. I think this is a serious error.

The only approved place to jack the Yeti is at the base of the A pillar and just in front of the C pillar - and Skoda make a point of saying that you must do this with all the doors shut.

Provided your Yeti does not have the Rough Road Package, then it is perfectly possible to fit proper jack pads to a Yeti. This link gives further information, albeit in regard to an Octavia, the principles and fitting are exactly the same: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221240-fitting-s3-jack-pads-to-octavia/

:rock:

The same place the jack goes, except you will need a pad to go round the welded seam. Ice hockey pucks with a groove cut in them are popular. I have one and it does work. It's a bit of a bind cutting the groove, but the plastic is good and tough.

I'm sure the issue has been covered on here sometime

That is not an answer - I've already got the trolley jack there!!  I of course use a specially made pad to fit the sill so that the load is taken at the back of the seam flange.  As others point out no information is available for supporting the Yeti on stands.

Norry

I have discovered that my car only has `goo`and a compressor.....and no Jack or tools  :sweat:

Not surprising really is it? Why would they give you a jack & tools if you have no spare wheel???

• Like 2

Not surprising really is it? Why would they give you a jack & tools if you have no spare wheel???

Maybe habit but I like the idea of having the capability to take a wheel off if I need to....be it on the road on a long trip (to gain access or check brakes or suspension noise for example) or simply because I want to rotate wheels fore and aft or just take winter/summer wheels on and off. Sure, I carry my own kit and spare wheel on long trips - if I get a flat and the compressor fails to work for whatever reason I'd like the back up of using a spare. As I said. Habit.

• Like 2

Buy a trolley jack. Lidl/Aldi do them from time to time, and Costco usually stock one.

I have had one for about 15 years and I would not be without it.

I don't carry one in the car - after all, are you *really* likely to remove a wheel while out & about just for inspection? In nearly 30 years of driving I have never found a situation where I needed to do that, or it couldn't wait until I get home.