Double DIN HU -> Fabia (done to death - but)

Today I fitted a double-din head unit to the VRS. Firstly I need to thank the many people who posted in previous threads on the subject. I thought it may still be worth posting a redux of my experience today.

The first job is to remove the Symphony using the Kenwood keys (got mine off Ebay). This was totally straightforward, a 10 second job. Insert keys, HU pops right out. Pull out the trinket tray underneath leaving a nice double-din size slot. The Symphony is a strange old beast, as it has a totally standard single-din format with a lip on the upper face of the front panel.

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

The replacement won't have this lip, that's why the small piece of Skoda trim (6Y0 857 231 B41) is essential to keep the dash looking tidy.

IMG_2731.jpg

Now put the outer cage from the new HU into the slot we've just created. This was a bit fiddly, as the fit was tight! You'll probably end up bending the cage and swearing once or twice. Once this is done it's time to get all of the peripherals installed. Since this particular unit has bluetooth with an external microphone, we need to find it a home. I stuck it in the 'A' pillar trim and hid the wire underneath (the seal comes away easily).

2010-04-24%2012.50.47.jpg

Now we need to route the wire through the dash. Time to remove the fuse board cover and lower driver's-side dash panel (see the cruise-control guide at fabia-vrs.com). Do remember to unclip the OBD connector though (I nearly forgot).

20100424060.jpg

2010-04-24%2012.55.54.jpg

Find a sensible route for the mic cable. There's a rats nest of wires back there, and you want to avoid any moving parts (steering column and pedals). The cable can run above the fuse box...

2010-04-24%2012.51.10.jpg

then into the dash and above the steering wheel & pedals. The mic wire will need to be pulled into the centre console using some handy wire pushed through from the console into the dash.

We now need to do the wiring to connect the head unit. The mic cable plugs into the appropriate socket, and the standard connectors on the new HU will fit the Skoda ones without any adapters. (Must remember to swap the red and yellow bullet connectors over in the new HU's wiring bundle though).

The aerial connection requires an amplified adapter DIN -> ISO, a few quid from a local car audio place (or Ebay). The power lead from this needs to connect to the ignition switched power lead (I soldered it to the bullet connector on the new HU's wiring loom).

Best test the installation before trying the next step.

Now simply slide the HU into the slot....

.... and swear because it almost certainly won't go in far enough. Never fear, there's actually enough room back there. The wires just need help to get into the correct position. Remove the centre air vents (helps if you have some plastic trim removal tools, but the assembly does just unclip).

2010-04-24%2012.47.36.jpg

Now remove the hazard warning triangle (another clip-on item) and put the vents to one side. You can now see down behind the HU, and can encourage the cables to stow themselves correctly.

2010-04-24%2012.47.23.jpg

Hopefully, after the adding appropriate bits of trim, you're left with something like this....

2010-04-24%2012.48.10.jpg

Time to reassemble the dash, and bask in the glory of your own smugness.

Cheers

David

Edited by unsolicited
  • Like 1

They seemed a bit stubborn at first, but seemed to pop out from underneath then pivot upward then out. I used some cheap plastic trim removal tools that I originally got on Ebay.

(something like item 350267831775 if you're interested)

It looks good

was is hard to take the vents out, and what tools did you use

I have taken the vents out to install a parrot kit to Mrs Grrs SDI.

It's a doddle mate, best tool to use is a butter knife from the kitchen drawer.

If you're really worried about damaging surrounding trim, wrap the tip of the blade

with a bit of cloth or since you're raiding the kitchen.... A tea towel :thumbup:

Slip the blade in the gap between the bottom of the vent and persuade it out.

Don't be too forceful when you pull the vents free as there is a wire for the

hazard warning switch module as mentioned above... :yes:

Great guide by the way... good clear pictures... Nice work :thumbup:

It's a JVC KW-AVX830

Looks good. How have you found it so far? I noticed in the specs that it has a USB port. Where is it? I've had my current USB JVC headunit for years and I now only use a USB stick.

It works quite well, although it's refusing to read the phonebook from my Nokia. (Not a real issue for me as I don't initiate calls while driving). Sound quality is miles better than the standard unit, and bluetooth call quality is fine too. The better half seems to like playing DIVX movies from USB while I'm driving though :-(

As to the USB connection, there's a cable at the back that I persuaded to live in the glove box. (Guess I should add that to the tutorial!)

Looks like a nice setup :) Be scared the chavs would nab it around here!

My current stereo also has the usb thingy, I just dropped my cable just under the centre console's jutting out bit... if you feel underneath is a gap. Is out of site, but very easy to get to. I didn't fancy butchering a hole in the glove box (not sure if theres already a useable gap)

Nice, really liking that double din, but issues with security etc put me off, hence I got the next best thing (imo) avx-33.

24959_10150184557835445_723980444_12259605_8252823_n.jpg

:D fitted yesterday, if only I saw your posted before I fitted it.. I spent 30mins trying to remember how to remove the original unit!! (taking of random screws in the process!!)

I'm not sure how much difference it makes on security; they both have removable faces, but I guess that you're more likely to take it with you if it's single-din. Still that looks pretty good! I'd probably lose the cubby hole thing for some cupholders though. (As whenever I put something there it used to end up in one of the back footwells due to my lead footed driving style)

They seemed a bit stubborn at first, but seemed to pop out from underneath then pivot upward then out. I used some cheap plastic trim removal tools that I originally got on Ebay.

(something like item 350267831775 if you're interested)

I have taken the vents out to install a parrot kit to Mrs Grrs SDI.

It's a doddle mate, best tool to use is a butter knife from the kitchen drawer.

If you're really worried about damaging surrounding trim, wrap the tip of the blade

with a bit of cloth or since you're raiding the kitchen.... A tea towel :thumbup:

Slip the blade in the gap between the bottom of the vent and persuade it out.

Don't be too forceful when you pull the vents free as there is a wire for the

hazard warning switch module as mentioned above... :yes:

Great guide by the way... good clear pictures... Nice work :thumbup:

Thanks guys

Do you guys no how much a replacement will cost

thanks

• 4 years later...

I have a 55 plate fabia I just brought the same keys as you but when I push them in and this is till they are at the bigger bit I can't pull it out it just has a slight wiggle I have tried many times to do this but I get nothing what would you suggest doing next?

I have a 55 plate fabia I just brought the same keys as you but when I push them in and this is till they are at the bigger bit I can't pull it out it just has a slight wiggle I have tried many times to do this but I get nothing what would you suggest doing next?

Pull on oddments tray underneath. Side trims also just ping off with a cloth wrapped screwdriver. Button blanks above the symphony can be removed by using a thin screwdriver or butter knife to unclip them. ASR and heated rear screen buttons are a friction fit and pull out.

HTH

J.