If you are about to order a Yeti - things to think about

All of us have our reasons for considering a Yeti and then ordering/buying one with many questions needing answering to inform our decision. We all have different views on things, but a few things have now come to the fore that would be very good for new prospective owners to know BEFORE they order.

[Please note: the prices quoted are guideline only since they keep changing and I can't keep updating this - this thread was started in 2010 and some specs have changed in that time, eg. MDI and the door protection foils. The same applies to some of the links. It will help point you the right way and you'll get the gist of my reasoning anyway.]

1. People of varying height have reported that the standard internal rear view mirror is set too low and obscures their vision. This is not the case with cars fitted with rain sensing wipers. Check this when you test drive and tick the rain sensing option if this is not standard with your model (and you feel the standard non-rain sensing wiper mirror is fitted too low). Click here for thread. OR you can just order the "Light assistant" auto headlights option (£65 in the UK) which also has the sensor and higher mirror.
  2. Sunroof: This option was deleted in April 2010 but is now available again.
  3. If you tick the box for the spare wheel you cannot have an internal bike carrier at the same time unless you remove the whole spare wheel assembly and boot floor as per this thread.
  4. Some people have reported stone chips to the side of the vehicle around the front of the rear wheelarches. If you tick the rough road package this area is covered with special protective film. If you regularly do dirt roads (or live in the UK with our current pitted roads!) consider ticking this option. Or order the film from Skoda: Part numbers: 5L0 807 905 B (Protective foil left) 5L0 807 906 B (Protective foil right) EDIT: as of week 45 build 2010 this will be standard on all Yetis.
  5. Snowchains. If you must use them check the Yeti manual first before ordering as Yetis and snowchains have issues. Most people suggest winter tyres are a better option.
  6. You cannot get MDI as an option in the UK - this is a connector to connect iPods and iPhones to the car's radio via an Apple 30pin connector (also charging the device and giving full functionality through the radio/steering wheel controls). It might be retro fitted later.
  7. You cannot get the timber wood finish instead of the silver finish on the dashboard in the UK fitted from factory. You can however retro-fit it. See this thread.
  8. You cannot get an electrically adjustable driver's seat in the UK. EDIT: as of September 2010 these are now available as an option.
  9. A Jumbo Box is just a central armrest (also cooled by the aircon) with a 3,5mm audio jack inside.
  10. Think about your sat-nav cables and other powered devices and how you will route their cables since the Yeti's power socket sits under the handbrake and not on the dashboard as with some other cars.
  11. The spare wheel is called a "spacesaver" but is NOT a narrow spacesaver. It is just a standard wheel but slightly smaller than the other wheels but due to that has a speed restriction on it (on higher spec models). On some of the lower spec models the spare and the other wheels are the same with no speed restriction.
  12. You cannot order the Alcantara finish on the Elegance trim level in the UK even though on the SE the cost of leather and Alcantara is exactly the same (and leather is standard on the Elegance).
  13. Locking wheel nuts are shown in the UK options list for all models but they are in fact standard for most models.
  14. The UK brochure does not explain the Columbus sat nav radio's features very well. It has an internal hard drive to which you can permanently copy your music collection via the SD card.
  15. The double sunvisors shown in the manual are not fitted to UK Yetis and is not available as an option.
  16. The Yeti manual shows a roll up fabric dog guard requiring special factory fitted hooks fitted to the car's ceiling to fit it either behind the front or rear seats. It is unknown how you order this and as such it is impossible to order (in the UK). Click here for thread.
  17. The UK Yeti brochure and website does not show the colours very well. This thread shows all the latest colours very well. Here is a link with good pictures of the colours (scroll down a bit first after clicking on link). Or here on the Skoda world website. And here is another link to good Yeti pictures and this one. Click on the 1600x1200 versions.
  18. You can download the latest Yeti owner's manual here. You can also find the owner's manuals to all the radios there too.
  19. The Yeti exterior rear view mirrors can't electrically fold. Edit: as of sometime in the middle of 2011 all Elegance spec Yeti's now get electrically folding mirrors as standard regardless of you ordering the electric seat or not.
  20. If you have a low garage you can fit a shorter stubby aerial. Various ones will fit. See thread here and here and you can buy them from eBay.
  21. The spare wheel is a £85 option. If you decide to have a spare later all the bits for it will cost you over £250 from the dealer. Skoda Assist will cover you via the RAC for three years if you get a puncture but be mindful that their small print won't cover you from year 3 if you don't have an actual spare wheel. See post 18 in this thread.
  22. Tunnel lights are just Skoda speak for automatic lights. In other words you leave the light switch in the Auto setting and the light sensor in the mirror will be used to decide when it is dark enough to switch the lights on automatically - i.e. when you drive into a tunnel.
  23. The price difference between the Elegance and the SE is circa £2,035. Thus adding leather and perhaps one more option to an SE means it is not worth going for the SE and you may as well just get the Elegance (with standard leather seats) as chances are the other options you are picking are standard Elegance features anyway - e.g. cornering foglights or Bi-Xenon headlights. This might help explain why over 50% of all Yetis are Elegance spec.
  24. You can fully retro-fit a towbar, right down to the "factory prep" and the access hatch for the removable tow bar in the bumper. Cost vary from about £280 for a non removable towbar with old fashioned (and ugly) external twin sockets to about £700 for the removable Westfalia version. Remember to get your dealer to do a software update on the car as well, since part of the factory towbar prep is to tell the car's computer what to do if you connect something to the system - eg. to switch off the reversing sensors, change the ESP settings and show a trailer on the radio display. This costs circa £50. If you don't do this the reversing sensors will constantly beep when you select reverse (if you have reversing sensors).
  25. There are numerous anomalies in the Yeti brochure. If it is confusing you, then have a look at some of these I listed in this thread regarding the August 2010 brochure. Later brochures are a tiny bit better but don't believe everything they say!
  26. The standard Yeti seats have height adjustment but this adjust the height of the entire seat base up and down. If you want to alter the pitch of the seat and have the front higher than the back for example, you need to consider the Electric driver's seat with memory function. This allows for the front and back to be adjusted independently via these switches. The round switch is for the electric lumbar control which can be moved up and down as well as in and out.
  27. The Yeti diesels come with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). A very green bit of kit but it does put some limitations on your driving style and does not like lots of short trips. Skoda has released some guidance on its use and this can be found in this thread. Thus you might have to think about TDI vs Petrol if your driving style and/or typical trips won't suit a DPF.
  28. Some people have started to notice that the Halogen lights are not that good since the Yeti uses one bulb to do both dipped and main beam (so it can do either or but not both at once as most cars do on main beam) - see this thread. So if you live in an area where you need decent lights consider getting the Xenon lights as an option or get the Elegance spec on which they are standard.
  29. On models below Elegance you can add the sunglass holder above the rearview mirror for very little cost. See this thread.

Edit: changed point 14 as you can't copy music by inserting CDs one by one.

Edit: added the Auto lights option to point 1.

Edit: added point 21.

Edit: added point 22.

Edit: Fixed broken link in point 18. Also see this thread for manuals for older Yetis.

Edit: added point 23

Edit: added part numbers for foil to point 4 and added point 24.

Edit: added point 25 regarding the Yeti brochure.

Edit: Point 8

Edit: Extended point 21 with RAC small print.

Edit: Edited point 19.

Edit: Point 4

Edit: Added point 26

Edit: Added point 27

Edit: Added point 28

Edit: Edited point 2.

Edit: Edited point 3.

Edit: Edited point 7.

Edit: Edited point 2.

Edit: Added point 29.

Edit: Edited point 17.

Edit: Edited point 19.

Edit: Edited link in point 18.

• Like 3

If you want to tow a caravan check out exactly what is included in the factory tow bar prep.

In view of potential saving in labour of subsequently installing the wiring harness factory prep could be a great investment - as well as saving a lot of aggravation.

Regarding point 11; the spare wheel is a different size to the standard wheel / tyre on the E and S models and the speed restriction remains. Without going outside to check, I believe that the spare is a 195 width tyre and the standard tyres are 215 on my S model.

Regarding point 11; the spare wheel is a different size to the standard wheel / tyre on the E and S models and the speed restriction remains. Without going outside to check, I believe that the spare is a 195 width tyre and the standard tyres are 215 on my S model.

Hi shrub,

your correct; the spare for all levels of trim and irrespective of country has always been a 195/60 R16 89H on a 6J 16 ET50 steel rim. This also means the rim is a different size to that used on any trim level as standard.

SUK have only changed the terminology, as calling it a full size spare I think could have landed them in legal hot water. It's clearly not full size in terms of matching the standard running wheels.

Regards,

TP

On the panoramic sun roof point (item 2). I've just come off the phone with SUK Customer Service trying to get status on mine: an advisory has gone out to the network that SUK are not accepting any new orders for Yetis (or Superb estates) with the panoramic roof. Anything that is already in the queue will be dealt with in due course, but they don't have any build dates for those and it isn't clear whether or not they are making any with panoramic roof right now.

My car has been ordered without the spare wheel, and as a company lease car, this can't be changed.

It has occurred to me that there must be large numbers of cars going to the scrapyard with vitually unused proper space saver tyres still in the boot? Can anyone suggest a suitable donor vehicle to aquire a spacesaver, jack, wheel wrench etc which would fit the yeti, rather than going for the new yeti kit. It shouldn't be too hard to Knock up a false boot floor to cover this with the existing boot covering to make it look factory installed? This would take up a lot less room than the full size but still speed limited factory option spare wheel.

Good luck with finding the right wheel/tire combinatin, which will work.

Once you find it, you might consider buying the fitted plastic boxes that surround the wheel and supports the new floor. If you are handy, then you can modify theold floor, as the new space will be a bit smaller.

I also have just fallen victim of the sunroof news and will be ordering my Yeti WITH sunroof and it looks like they will clear the backlog of sunroof cars before then taking orders again for sunroofs which means that I can probably expect delivery around October time now :S

Also the option of heated windscreen will be available on my factory build as it will be after week 22 before it will be built, so thats good, but thats the only bit of good news.

Sigh. :|

I also have just fallen victim of the sunroof news and will be ordering my Yeti WITH sunroof and it looks like they will clear the backlog of sunroof cars before then taking orders again for sunroofs which means that I can probably expect delivery around October time now :S

Also the option of heated windscreen will be available on my factory build as it will be after week 22 before it will be built, so thats good, but thats the only bit of good news.

Sigh. :|

I wouldn't like to add your pain, but what I have heard from the dealer, even October might be too optimistic... :(

FYI: Here is the manufacturer of this infamous sunroof - Arvinmeritor inc. :wonder: Does anybody know what is the root reason for these delivery problems? :no:

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA66321728.PDF

Edited by Asterion

From what I understand from the dealer I am going to order the car from, it sounds a bit like unexpected demand for the roof and the additional time it adds to the overall build, so combined with backlogged orders piling up they seem to have hit the chicken switch. I was told realistically that they will probably not resume builds of cars with sunroofs until the current backlog has been cleared, but I was not told that they had put an indefinite ban on them, but yes its going to be a long old wait for my beastie.

:(

FYI: Here is the manufacturer of this infamous sunroof - Arvinmeritor inc. emoticon-0112-wondering.gif Does anybody know what is the root reason for these delivery problems? emoticon-0145-shake.gif

http://www.autonews..../CA66321728.PDF

This is the list of their sunroofs:

http://www.arvinmeri...roofsystems.asp

None of these look like the Yeti's to me!

Then I found these:

http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products/car/roofsystems_sunroofs.asp

and these:

http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products/car/roofsystems_sunroofmodules.asp

Guess it must be in there somewhere...

Edited by 900000

I wonder if this is mainly a European thing as we seem to be big on sunroofs, although I think the panoramic sunroof has been more of an option since the SUV market came along, but seems odd to have been caught out on this one, especially with a parent company like VW ?

:S

My dealer told me earlier this week that customers currently wishing to order a sunroof with their Yeti are being told to expect a wait of 20+ weeks. I ordered mine on 5th Feb and it is being built this week. ETA for driving it away is approximately end of this month.

Just ordered mine this morning with roof so god knows when it will arrive lol

Maybe I should have added snow chains as an option because I might need them by the time its delivered !

:D

you and me both m8

In Ireland the sunroof is no longer standard on the Experience model and has been replaced by an internal sat nav system according to dealer today and has been discontinued as an option on all other models.

Hi is this a fact that a electrical heated windscreen is becoming an option on the Yeti if so any ideas of cost etc, I have been told mine is going to be built in week 22-23 do you think it will be to late to have it added

Edited by steve49

Someone on here tried to change their order three weeks into the order and was told no can do by the dealer.

Redandwhitepauly (I think that is the profile name) just ordered a Yeti with the heated screen but has not answered my question regarding cost in another post.

Someone on here tried to change their order three weeks into the order and was told no can do by the dealer.

Redandwhitepauly (I think that is the profile name) just ordered a Yeti with the heated screen but has not answered my question regarding cost in another post.

Oops sorry matey didnt see another post asking about it. The answer is I havent a clue how much !! - Just ordered it and waited for the price to be sorted later, sorry !

:)

Oops sorry matey didnt see another post asking about it. The answer is I havent a clue how much !! - Just ordered it and waited for the price to be sorted later, sorry !

:)

No worries! I think it was in your post where you said you had just ordered your Yeti.

No worries! I think it was in your post where you said you had just ordered your Yeti.

that was me and yes I ordered a heated windscreen as it was going to be past week 22 (the commencement of heated winscreen options on build) before mine was built (more like 2022 at this rate !!) but the dealer had no price for it at the time of the order but I ordered it anyways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Electrical Heated windscreen

I just had my Skoda dealer inform me, to tell me no luck in adding this to my order, as my Yeti build has now been bought forward and should be ready end of June with luck, :yes: although any one with sun roof not so lucky and still not accepting orders for them. :wait: