DSG - 7 speed problems

Sorry for the probably idiot question - my September 2011 (delivery date) 140PS TDI DSG 4x4 Superb Elg Estate has a 6 speed box. In which models are 7 speed boxes offered? :S

The 7 speed DQ200 is a box designed to fit in the Polo chassis and is smaller and so is only used for those for engines producing 250 Nm of torque or less so us used in the petrols up to 1.8 as long as their torque is less than 250 Nm but also some diesels in the VW-Audi cars of 1.6 and 2 litre as long as they adhere to the 250 Nm torque limit. There are 7 and 8 speed DSG boxes in the VW-Audi range but not currently used by Skoda. These are all wet multi-plate auto boxes that harm fuel consumption where as the more efficient Dry clutches 7 Speed DSG either have a small penalty or in the case of the 1.8 TSI actually improve fuel consumption over the manual by about 5%.

My hope is there will be uprated dry clutched boxes in the near future but probably the direction will be to use hybrid power to an increased degree so 250 Nms of torque through the engine gearbox is all that will be needed as 50 or 100 Kws will come from electric power when you need/want it.

Ash,

7-speed is in the TSI's only, as there is too much torque in the diesels for the 7-speed to cope with (I think it goes to a max of 250nm, whereas yours is 320nm).

H

[/quote

Thanks H. Well answered.

A

The 7 speed DQ200 is a box designed to fit in the Polo chassis and is smaller and so is only used for those for engines producing 250 Nm of torque or less so us used in the petrols up to 1.8 as long as their torque is less than 250 Nm but also some diesels in the VW-Audi cars of 1.6 and 2 litre as long as they adhere to the 250 Nm torque limit. There are 7 and 8 speed DSG boxes in the VW-Audi range but not currently used by Skoda. These are all wet multi-plate auto boxes that harm fuel consumption where as the more efficient Dry clutches 7 Speed DSG either have a small penalty or in the case of the 1.8 TSI actually improve fuel consumption over the manual by about 5%.

My hope is there will be uprated dry clutched boxes in the near future but probably the direction will be to use hybrid power to an increased degree so 250 Nms of torque through the engine gearbox is all that will be needed as 50 or 100 Kws will come from electric power when you need/want it.

Thanks for the above and an interesting insight into a hybrid future.

A

Dear all ,

Greetings for the day,

I am a new memner to the skoda family and have a 2010 Feb model Skoda Superb 1.8 DSG in India.

FAntastic car love the drive . but to my horror on the 21st of December the car when i started the car it dint move at all since the gears wernt engaged the car was taken to the nearest dealership and to which they replied its a Mechatronic Failure and the charge for the same being rs 1.25 Lakh( 1800 Pounds) which is a lot of money the company says becuase of a delay in second service by 5000 Kms the warrenty is void and i just dont understand how can this go wrong in such an expensive car. kindly request everyone who looks at my post to suggest me the best way forward and should i look at alternatives from outside . I Bought this car for my Dad who cannot walk properly thus the Auto Transmission but its a waste since the last 15 days the car is at the dealership and i dont know what to do .

Thanking in anticipation

Best Regards

Puneet Batra

Even if the service had been delayed but it was done before the break down then you should get all replaced free of charge (two years from 2010)

If the breakdown happened during the delay then you indeed will have problems.

I have this box in a fabia vRS, I have covered 22,400 fault free miles with it. I have nonissues at all, no hesitation, no problem low speed manoeuvring, no funny noises ect...

Having said all this, I am reluctant to keep the car outside warranty, although I may do if I can get an extended warranty that includes the DSG and wear and tear...

Superb Combi 1.8 TSI (2010) brokedown on 2 Jan. The engine check light was illuminated and the gear position indicator flashing. Could start the car but could not move. The gear indicator did shift but apparently still in neutral. Had the car towed to Agent and was repaired within the day. The cause was faulty Mechatronics in the DSG Gearbox.

After the change, the gearbox was slight better than previous, it does not judder as much only around 1700~1900rpm on 2nd gear.

• 1 month later...

Superb 1.8 TSI DSG 7 needs new clutch after only 25.600 km. Vibrations early in 2nd gear. They gonna change on the warranty though, and it seems to be a known issue.

so ho hum, wor car currently in the Skoda workshop this past 4 weeks, next week will be week 5.

and Her was only booked in for 24 hours

A new mechatronic unit made no difference, which does not surprise me as I thought it was more of a software glitch.

I suspect they are busy beavering away on my behalf writing a software "patch",else what could be causing the inordinate delay

Dear Drivers and Readers,

We are a group of drivers who decided to gather on Facebook in the sequence of the DSG7 behavior problems in brand new cars (mostly delivered in 2011).

You can find the group by googling "SOS CLIENTS VW" or directly trough http://lnk.nu/facebook.com/1y4s

We will be pleased to share views and make the number to show Volkswagen they can't get away with their responsabilities.

Hope to see you soon.

• 1 year later...

Any furthur developments on misbehaving DSG units.

Ours yesterday 25th March 2013, exhibited exactly the same "anomoly" as before Skoda Uk spent 20odd thousand on "fixing" this problem.

i.e. the car disengaged drive and freely ran back despite my foot on the throttle, tother foot planted on the floor and the selector in "Drive"

cheers

Marcus

I have had 2 skodas,first was an Octavia 2.0tdi with dsg,had for 3 years with no problems at all with dsg,I now have a Superb 2.0cr tdi dsg,again for 3 years absolutely no problems,I shall take delivery of a Superb 1.8tsi dsg at the end of May,like everything you buy these days with technology advancing so quickly you just never know what can happen,and if Dsg boxes are that problematic why are all the other car manufacturers now developing and fitting them,Ford does so do Fiat and there are others although the actual name Dsg is the property of Vag group,even Audi fit them with another name and so do Bentlys,So you pays your money and make your choice like when fuel injection first came out,the horror stories about that were horrendous,ie Truimph Stag.I'll take my chance with the dsg box as it's the best Automatic? that I have ever had over the last 40 years.

Sniff!

Which is why I alluded to a "misbehaving" DSG.

I bought into the technology with my eyes open and am not in the slightest "slagging" the brand or VW technology.

I was also aware of the mechanical differences between the proven wet 6 speed and the new dry 7 speed btw.

I like the Octavia and the package it offers.

Ditto for the "wee" 1.6 diesel, which others miscall as being underpowered.

Regards

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

So you pays your money and make your choice like when fuel injection first came out,the horror stories about that were horrendous,ie Truimph Stag

If I remember correctly, the Stag was never built with fuel injection. Initial plans were to use the mechanical petrol injection used in the straight-6 Triumph 2500 p.i., but this system (which was itself an absolute nightmare to keep in tune) would not have met US regulations, and instead the Stag 3 litre V8 appeared with a pair of Stromberg carbs. The huge problem with the Stag engine was a combination of rapidly wearing (and failing) timing chains, and horrendous overheating issues with the engine.

• Like 1

P6/P8? Rover, one of the first petrols with fuel injection.

A tractor mechanic I knew back in the late 70's early/mid 80's bought them second hand for buttons, (because of the reputation as troublesome and thirsty), fettled the fuel system (which he intimately understood) and swore by them, using them in lieu of a fitters Van, and working them as hard.

Kinda hard to describe, do I recall a Tarmacadm roof btw?

Cheers

M

No fuel injection on a P6b (b for Buick, V8) except a couple of experimentals, none on P5b, but post 1980 SD1's got it for USA, then GB. Iirc P8 never got past prototype.

And Back on topic, I've had a 7 speed DSG for 2yrs and 14k miles, not many I know, and only hooked on to a 1.2 105tsi, but it has been faultless and very nice to drive.

No fuel injection on a P6b (b for Buick, V8) except a couple of experimentals, none on P5b, but post 1980 SD1's got it for USA, then GB. Iirc P8 never got past prototype.

And Back on topic, I've had a 7 speed DSG for 2yrs and 14k miles, not many I know, and only hooked on to a 1.2 105tsi, but it has been faultless and very nice to drive.

And back off topic again, John..... The small-block Buick V8 (lovely wee lump, almost bullet-proof) was usually fed its fuel and air via a pair of SU carbs when used in the Rover P5B and P6 3500 / 3500S.

The 3 litre V8 in the Triumph Stag was a disaster from the beginning. The Buick-derived 3500 V8 could not be used, as they wanted a very low bonnet on the Stag.

I like my Rover V8, I'd like it even more if I could train it to pass a petrol station without the need to pull in!

The Triumph engine was let down by the bean counters, like the Dolomite Sprint, the cooling system was pared back to "just enough" and when they got a little bit of age it became "not enough". Once fettled with bigger rads, they were not bad bits of kit (well I'd have a Sprint, not sure about a Stag). It's a bit like K series engines and head gaskets.

• 11 months later...

I need advice regarding dsg issues I have.

I have Skoda Superb 2.0TSI Dsg, 18k miles, worked for some time perfectly. During the rain on the road couple of weeks ago I've noticed high rev but no acceleration, car should go in 4 gear but stood in 5th. This was

during taking over a truck ( bad moment) and I thought I run over some grease on the road. Today I had same situation twice, perfect weather, dry road. In 5th gear when I  press accelerator revs go up to 6000, engine roars but no acceleration

or kick down. This lasts for couple of seconds than gearbox is shifting down to 4 and after everything is normal. Any similar issues with your cars? Is something wrong with gearbox?

I have Skoda Superb 2.0TSI Dsg, 18k miles, worked for some time perfectly. During the rain on the road couple of weeks ago I've noticed high rev but no acceleration, car should go in 4 gear but stood in 5th. This was

during taking over a truck ( bad moment) and I thought I run over some grease on the road. Today I had same situation twice, perfect weather, dry road. In 5th gear when I  press accelerator revs go up to 6000, engine roars but no acceleration

or kick down. This lasts for couple of seconds than gearbox is shifting down to 4 and after everything is normal. Any similar issues with your cars? Is something wrong with gearbox?

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem!

Since you don't say anything about the age of your car, is it still under warranty from the dealer? It really does not matter to start with, you need them to sort this out or at least come back with a reason to the problem and if not under warranty, a quote. But the earlier you let them know, the better chance you have to get some help from Skoda / Volkswagen ... To me it sound like a malfunctioning Mechatronic unit, the question is how much more ...

When you find out and get it sorted, please fill out the survey I run at http://www.dsg-survey.com/ ...

One question though, you wrote this under a DSG7 related topic but don't you have a 6 speed in yours?

When you find out and get it sorted, please fill out the survey I run at http://www.dsg-survey.com/ ...

One question though, you wrote this under a DSG7 related topic but don't you have a 6 speed in yours?

Model year 2013, produced July 2012. Still under the warranty (here is 4 years standard) so I will check with authorised service. You are right 6 speed DSG, I haven't saw 6speed related topic (maybe I've missed it).

Model year 2013, produced July 2012. Still under the warranty (here is 4 years standard) so I will check with authorised service. You are right 6 speed DSG, I haven't saw 6speed related topic (maybe I've missed it).

HI, then back to the dealer it is ... Please keep us all posted.

Skickat från min GT-I8190 via Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hello, me again. Problems with DSG seems to dissapear. I spoke with Skoda service here they suggested higher revs drive for some time (I'm driving mostly in congested city area) to check if this happens again. It seems that was something with fuzzy logic that DSG has. He got used to low rev change of gears and sudden acc pedal pressure make

him confused, few drives up to red zone and everything  works perfectly.

Anders you are pilot as I can see?