Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car:Octavia Estate

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:24

Mornin' all

Had a strange 'event' yesterday.

Octavia fitted with DSG box, 2006, 38000 miles, serviced last month by local Skoda dealership.

Driving along, 40 m.p.h., five miles or so from home and sudenly lost traction. Rolled to a halt and the PNRDS display was flashing between 'white on black' and 'black on white' characters.

Switched off and restarted the engine - no change. Gearstick would move into all positions , but still no traction.

Swiched off and left it for a few minutes. Tried again with no change.

After three or four attempts, the problem cleared and all was well with the transmission.

Howewer, the 'Control system for exhaust gases' warning light remained on. I don't think the EMS switched to the emergency programme since the car drove normally.

The light remained on until I restarted the engine after a break of about an hour.

This morning, all seems well and it is behaving as normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

#2 Dodgy

Dodgy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Car:2013 vRS Combi TDi DSG

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:39

Might not be related, but is it anything to do with the temperature being a lot higher now than of late? Perhaps a problem that has been there for a while but only rears its head when the outside air temperature is higher?

#3 vRS Carl

vRS Carl

The Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts
  • Car:The Anthracite Assassin

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:53

Are you near anyone with VCDS who can scan it for you?

Im in Folkestone if your nearby

#4 Evening Star

Evening Star

Uber Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Car:Octavia Elegance 1,8TSi DSG

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:01

It sounds like that duff temperature probe problem that other VAG cars have been having.

Is it similar to this Jetta's problem?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De4OG8uLuxA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

Edited by Evening Star, 21 May 2010 - 11:10.

#5 m0bov

m0bov

SurreySkodarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:12

Deff temp sensor, might be worth investigating having a DSG oil change whilst the work is done for piece of mind. Scan should show up the fault. Good luck, keep us posted.

#6 davejohnson

davejohnson

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:31

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to get it scanned to find out what's happened/happening.

(Thanks for the offer VRSCarl, but I'm in Devon).

Good point about the air temperature Dodgy. It's been OK for four years, but the sensor could be shot. I wondered if they had downloaded new software on the last service. (I once had a Peugot serviced and there was a bug in the new version which stopped the aircon working. )

Evening Star, symptoms are similar. It's difficult to see how a temperature probe would cause loss of drive, but it's something to look out for.

Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted with any progress.

Cheers

Dave

#7 Raglits

Raglits

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
  • Car:Silver SEAT Leon SE Copa...

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:26

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to get it scanned to find out what's happened/happening.

(Thanks for the offer VRSCarl, but I'm in Devon).

Good point about the air temperature Dodgy. It's been OK for four years, but the sensor could be shot. I wondered if they had downloaded new software on the last service. (I once had a Peugot serviced and there was a bug in the new version which stopped the aircon working. )

Evening Star, symptoms are similar. It's difficult to see how a temperature probe would cause loss of drive, but it's something to look out for.

Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted with any progress.

Cheers

Dave

IIRC the temperature probe fault meant that the ECU believed the clutches were overheating so removes drive from the system to try and save the components from further damage.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

#8 topcat2006

topcat2006

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 13:07

Did they change the gearbox oil and filter on your last service?

Only reason I ask I had a similar problem of loss of drive and jerky take up on mine just before it's last service. I put it in for a service and the gearbox oil and filter change and the mechanic also knew about the problems. When I picked it up he said he had removed 3.5L from it and it was meant to have 6L in it which is what it was refilled with. In his words "VW have not made this the easiest gearbox to check fluid level on and it is very easy to get it wrong"!

Hope this helps.

Tom

#9 davejohnson

davejohnson

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:03

IIRC the temperature probe fault meant that the ECU believed the clutches were overheating so removes drive from the system to try and save the components from further damage.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Sounds a bit drastic, but you may well be right.

Cheers

Dave

#10 davejohnson

davejohnson

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:08

Did they change the gearbox oil and filter on your last service?

Only reason I ask I had a similar problem of loss of drive and jerky take up on mine just before it's last service. I put it in for a service and the gearbox oil and filter change and the mechanic also knew about the problems. When I picked it up he said he had removed 3.5L from it and it was meant to have 6L in it which is what it was refilled with. In his words "VW have not made this the easiest gearbox to check fluid level on and it is very easy to get it wrong"!

Hope this helps.

Tom

No they didn't Tom. It's due at 40000 so I will get it done when I take it in for a scan. It has never dropped oil and I'll be surprised if the factory underfilled it, but thanks for the info. I'll mention it when it goes in.

Cheers

Dave

#11 topcat2006

topcat2006

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:29

I was surprised too and I also thought it was the first gearbox service carried out. There were no oil leaks either and apparently g/box oil is a check on pdi. As you say worth mentioning.

Tom

#12 love 2 know

love 2 know

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car:Skoda

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:22

Hi All,

I am having similar problems with my Skoda, this car has being  Scanned, Gearbox Oil changed the problem remained

can anyone help

Thanks

0 User(s) reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users