Handbrake Adjustment

ive been told by one of the fellas at work my handbrake isnt even, it brakes more on one side than the other, possibly not even braking on one side as its not set 'evenly'

just checked the Haynes and im not sure if u can adjust one side from the other, only both at the same time ?

you can see from where you adjust it that the O/S is tighter than the N/S as the bar isnt horizontally straight, its sat at an angle, as below

is one of my cables stretched ?......is one too short/long

im asking because im pretty sure the N/S is doing very little off the handbrake at the moment and i want them evened out, is it possible to adjust at the caliper ???

Photo395.jpg

Hi Brun

Yes it looks like ther is a problem with the cable, but you cannot adjust at the wheel.

you need to inspect the cables underneath, there could be a number of reasons for it doing that, as you say one could be stretched, unlikely more like a snapped

or seized cable, or seized linkage.

Wind off the adjust nut, and then try pulling each leaver at the brakes and see if moving ok (they will be tight poss use a screwdriver) the get someone to pull the hand

brake lever to see if the cables move(you might have to retention the nut)

But for what they cost I would poss put a pair of cable on anyway

Radiotwo

As above. Check the handbrake lever arm movement ..

I would also be tempted to wind both calipers pistons back in fully (assuming one is not seized !!) Then re-assemble & start the automatic adjustment all over again by operating the handbrake repeatedly, If it still looks the same afterwards & both pistons have adjusted fully / properly .. Then fit a Cable ..

Dean

having a garage look at it for me on a Sat, now id much rather fit genuine parts, do you think its worth ordering a cable as i dont think we would get one short notice on a Sat and cables are never the correct length from motor factors in my experience (i work in parts so deal with em every day lol)

having a garage look at it for me on a Sat, now id much rather fit genuine parts, do you think its worth ordering a cable as i dont think we would get one short notice on a Sat and cables are never the correct length from motor factors in my experience (i work in parts so deal with em every day lol)

Hi Again

I certinly would not have a garage do it (for what they charge) its only a diy job, and at least if you do it your self you will know it its done right.

I never trust garages cannot be trusted, they will fit parts for the fun of it

Radiotwo

trust me lol, it wouldnt be right if i did it

the garage owners/mechanics are friends of mine so i wont be getting ripped off, ive just priced cables and they are really cheap

trust me lol, it wouldnt be right if i did it

the garage owners/mechanics are friends of mine so i wont be getting ripped off, ive just priced cables and they are really cheap

Ok you are lucky you have friends in the trade.

But the amount of times I have taken a car in for one job, and had to either sort it out when i get home, or repair something else !

so I just do it myself, it gets done the first time and the main bit Correct, ie I know when I have done a brake job it will stop when

I push the pedal

When you have had it done please report back and tell us if the cables were stretched ?

Radiotwo

certainly will, thanks for all the ideas and comments, ive got a feeling i might need a n/s caliper though as apparently the arm has been stuck before and the lads where i work free'd it off for me

Brun, all that is wrong is that the calliper piston's internal spring on one side is not forcing the handbrake lever back onto its rest stop. What needs to be done here is to replace the faulty calliper, or and this is the smart way in my mind, slacken off the handbrake cable a bit, wind the calliper pistons back, then fit external handbrake return springs, I'd suggest using the VW Sharan ones. After you have forced the handbrake (calliper piston adjuster) to take up its correct position, adjust the handbrake cable so that it is correct. Use "search" and you will find how to fit the Sharan return springs.

i have actually already bought some Polo springs so ill ask for those to be fitted

Polos don't have any springs either, so what springs have you bought? (Fabia+Polo 9N+iBIZA 6L all use same rear disc brake bits).

i dunno then lol, i believed them to be from a Polo, i got the part numbers off here

anyways my rear calipers were looked at and both arms seemed to spring back fine, they fitted the springs for me but facing the rear as any other way they just didnt fit right, the handbrake feels nice and ive had no real problems with squeeks from the rear brakes since, in the future i might change the springs for some that sit the other way around so fit more flush with the caliper setup

i was actually booked in for an oil change and a bump stop to be fitted to a rear shock, the handbrake issue wasnt really the most important job of the day and as i didnt want the bill to escalate much past an hours labour ive left it for now, least i know its working both sides, they did lube it for me at the pivot point of the arm to keep it moving freely