Stalling My 140 BHP

Ray_Green

6000 mile and 7 months down the road, my SM can still catch me out when I'm in low gear. Is it just a training issue between me an my SM? Or do others need help from Barbara Woodhouse. (I have only been driving for 37 years) :giggle:

Edited by Ray_Green

6000 mile and 7 months down the road, my SM can still catch me out when I'm in low gear. Is it just a training issue between me an my SM? Or do others need help from Barbara Woodhouse. (I have only been driving for 37 years) :giggle:

Hi Ray

it seems to happen. Might be afeature of the gearing/engine.

John

It's caught me out too in my 110tdi, I've been driving since 1983 too! I'm having to het used to changing down more on hills and corners at lower speeds.

I think I've got it!

First of all, when you drive in situations, where the engine speed gets below the idle speed, the engine management electronic decide that it cannot cope, and shuts the engne down. This comes as a surprise, as there is usually no prior warning.

The same happens with VAG PD engines, only much ore dramatic with a loud bang as the engine stops.

I think the problem is that we are all used to petrol or diesel engines with mechanical engine control, where you get a stall warning, as the engine clearly indicates that is about to stall, so that you can recognize it and do something - like declutch or change gear.

With the turbocharged and electronic controls, there is just not any warning. The engine seems fine, but as the rpm drops below the 800 rpm idle speed, the system says STOP:

We all just have to learn that it is not possible to drive at less than idle speed.

Hi All,

I have stalled my 170 Elegance a few times now so it's nice to know what the problem actually is and what to do about it. I had thought it was me not used to the gear box and selecting too high a gear. I have been used to engines that pull quite happily from 800 - 900 revs. Thinking about it new age diesels are more like petrol engines, less torque at low revs so is the answer keep the revs higher and let the engine sing!

Chris ( very- old age driver).

Hi All,

I have stalled my 170 Elegance a few times now so it's nice to know what the problem actually is and what to do about it. I had thought it was me not used to the gear box and selecting too high a gear. I have been used to engines that pull quite happily from 800 - 900 revs. Thinking about it new age diesels are more like petrol engines, less torque at low revs so is the answer keep the revs higher and let the engine sing!

Chris ( very- old age driver).

Chris,

i think the 800-900 revs are OK, as the idle is at 800. Exactly how far below the 800 the cut-out is is difficlut to see, as the revcounter quits when the engine stals - and you would not stall it if you were looking at the instrument at the time.

So, it's an "Oh, ****" type of moment.

Not really related, but I have found that the 170 is quite happy starting in 2nd with minimal clutch slip. I even think the 0-100 km values are bettered by starting with 2nd gear - you save a shift and 3rd is plenty to reach the 100.

Hi,

Sorry, I should have indicated that the reference to 800 - 900 revs were off tickover, and within the full torque band width. Still, It does appear that modern engines do need to be allowed to rev freely. Something inside me is still against letting engines rev their head off. The sort of motors I was used to could only rev to about 1500 - 2000 rpm.

Still it is nice to know that it's the electronics taking over, something I should get used to.

Chris.

Hi,

Sorry, I should have indicated that the reference to 800 - 900 revs were off tickover, and within the full torque band width. Still, It does appear that modern engines do need to be allowed to rev freely. Something inside me is still against letting engines rev their head off. The sort of motors I was used to could only rev to about 1500 - 2000 rpm.

Still it is nice to know that it's the electronics taking over, something I should get used to.

Chris.

Chris,

No probelm and no misunderstanding.

The POWER band of the 170 CR is from 1500 all the way up to 4000+. Over 4000 you'd better change up a gear - if there are more to change up to :D

There is no problem in engaging 1st and letting out the clutch gently without using the accelerator - such as in creeping in really slow traffic.

The UK speed limit at 70 mph is only a little over 2000 rpm in 6th - hardly revving anything's head off. On long treks in Germany, I usually change into 6th at 100 km/hr and leac´ve it there all day - at least between pit stops.

i havnt got mine yet so cant comment on my own' but the 2 demo's ive took out didnt stall, and i purposely pulled away at minimum revs, driving one thru sheffield in rush hour certainly gave it a good test too, with no issues :thumbup:

i havnt got mine yet so cant comment on my own' but the 2 demo's ive took out didnt stall, and i purposely pulled away at minimum revs, driving one thru sheffield in rush hour certainly gave it a good test too, with no issues :thumbup:

It tends to happen when slowing down and the engine is in overrun. If you have changed down to 2nd on the aproach and useing the braking effect of the engine. The engine can just cut out at low revs.

It's not vehicle fault, you just need to retrain your self to handle the SM.

hmmm.....i tend to change down from say 5-4-3 then into neutral and roll the last 10 yards etc, so thats probs why i havnt noticed it on both demo drives, and the 2nd drive was a full day out,...but i,ll be sure to try it when mine arrives

It happened to me pulling out onto a busy A road - stalled halfway across went to go into reverse to find someone pulled up behind me at the junction Oh S*** ! Cars coming both ways so i just had to go for it and put up with the nasty stares. I think its because I'm still getting used to a manual box again, but it can catch you out. On the plus sign its not as bad as my wife's A4 Cab diesel, which stalls ever so easily.

• 1 month later...

6 weeks ago I stalled my SM. Just when you think you have cracked it, the Monster bites back. Today my stalling clock was reset. See how long I can go this time! :S

6 weeks ago I stalled my SM. Just when you think you have cracked it, the Monster bites back. Today my stalling clock was reset. See how long I can go this time! :S

You and me both, my stalling clock ( your term) was reset yesterday, about 4 weeks without embarrassment and the little "lovely" cow did it to me again suffice it to say in the wrong place at the wrong time and I swear she was laughing. It is my fault I know, I'm used to driving a Defender 90 and a VW Golf tdi in London traffic and they just trundle along with my right foot flat on the floor. It is the drivers' fault!!! Edited by Pit-Yaka

My wife has stalled my Yeti on each of the 4 times she has driven the car and she is a good driver, I have not done it at all. She has been driving a petrol car for the last 2 years and I have been driving a diesel for the last 6 years. It is just a matter of getting used to applying a little extra right foot pressure. That is not to be a boy racer, you just can't let the engine drop down in the way you can with a petrol. It soon becomes second nature.

Since I picked ours up on Friday, I have stalled it three times, one of them when reversing. I think it has just been down to not enough revs when pulling away but still getting used to it so will see how it goes

I have a 110 ps Deisel Yeti and I have been surprised 3 or4 times, usually arriving at a junction, in 2nd or 3rd gear and the engine just stops, I was half way round a roundabout one time. It starts easily enough but you can be the ****** in the way if you don't watch it. I found that it is because I have left the clutch engaged just a fraction too long. Never had it before on any vehicle and I have been driving since cars were invented. I am more careful now and it has not happened lately, must be that ultra long travel clutch pedal. Can't be me can it??

IAMGEOB

• 4 years later...

I have had my Skoda Yeti for less than a week and I have stalled it four times this followed by much apologetic grovelling to nearby drivers! This my first diesel vehicle and as my wife kindly advised from the back seat on the last occaision - and I quote:- keep your revs up!! Or at least there were words to that effect!....... However it is very reassuring to know that I am not the new Yeti owner to have this issue, as I was beginning to think that my dotage had kicked in early and that it was time to curl up.

The engine has a lot of low down torque but driving at very low revs not only causes the problems mentioned above it also transmits very high loads through the DMF causing premature wear leading to it needing early replacement.

• Like 1

The engine has a lot of low down torque but driving at very low revs not only causes the problems mentioned above it also transmits very high loads through the DMF causing premature wear leading to it needing early replacement.

Allegedly!!

Allegedly!!

I have been driving for 58 years and have stalled my 110 Yeti more than in all previous cars in that time.  The engine just cuts out at lower revs whereas all the other cars I've driven would chug along  at low revs if I inadvertently got in that situation.

When it stalls it happens with a thump that I presume is the DMF bouncing back.

I have now learnt to overcome the tendency.

Norry

• Like 1