Automatic boot - Completed

Has anyone done this or it is just me, who thinks this could be great??

Here´s an alternativ on a Golf from Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3rINjv5aKw&NR=1

Two very different solutions

Very interesting, I wonder why you can't just use the original dampers in the second method, now for the next trick......automatic closure! :wonder: :thumbup:

How's the Superb estate version implemented? Easy to rip off and apply to the Octy?

Springs would be wayyyyyyyy cheaper right enough and gets the important 50% of the effect :thumbup:

I have done the same thing to SWMBO's MK5 Golf, but i used a Transit valve spring cut in half and a bit of adaptation with VCDS.

VCDS? I thought that it was a straight forward, add a spring, get result?

I depends if you tailgate currently "pops" off the catch when you press the button on the remote, if it doesn't then you will need the coding changed so it does.

I depends if you tailgate currently "pops" off the catch when you press the button on the remote, if it doesn't then you will need the coding changed so it does.

Ah I see, mine holds in the open position for about 1.5 seconds, then relatches in the part open position, so sounds like I just need some cheap springs then.

A lot of the german users made this little conversion. But some of them took the springs out again.

The problem is the mounts of the dampers and the dampers itself. The mounts arent capable to take the extra load and tend to bend.

The dampers will leak because of the constant pressure on them. Normally they dont have that constant pressure when the boot is closed.

This pressure makes the sealings go weak and they will loose pressure. Loosing pressure means they will no longer be able to hold the boot open.

You cannot use the Superb dampers as it has a totally different mechanism (hidden in the ceiling). That is why the Superb can be ordered with an electric boot opener/closer (as the passat)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished my automatic boot project

Here's a guide:

Works on Skoda Octavia Combi FL:

For starters, make sure that your tailgate "pops" when you hold the middle button on your remote, (standard on Octavia FL) if it does not, it should be activated via VCDs (vagcom)

1st Visit http://www.fjedre.dk/online-shop.aspx (danish spring shop, but there must be something equal in the UK)

2nd Search by stock number ST51150 - to use 2 pcs. (maybe different in the UK)

It must return:

Dh

15.88 mm. outer diameter

Dd

8.72 axle diameter

Free length 50.80

The rest fit if it returns the above.

Buy two of them

3rd Wait until they come in the mail the next day.

4th Then, disconnect the clips on both ends of the attenuator. Get a buddy to hold the tailgate while removing one damper, and subsequently closes the tailgate gently.

5th Take a poli-grip plier and hold the damper shaft fast and use a second poli-grip plier to the screw head on the end of the shaft. It sits firmly. Put on the spring and screw the head back on.

6th Mount attenuator and clips again.

7th Repeat on the other side.

8th Find a clever way to get the spring to get stuck in position as on my pictures. I have secured them firmly with vulcanising tape at the top.

9th Enjoy the result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the specification you have detailed, I would say these are the closest avaiable in the UK.

I just spent half an hour searching and this is one of the only companies that I could find that will sell indivdual springs, so I have just ordered a pair, £9.80 inc del, looking forward to giving it a try. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Based on the specification you have detailed, I would say these are the closest avaiable in the UK.

I just spent half an hour searching and this is one of the only companies that I could find that will sell indivdual springs, so I have just ordered a pair, £9.80 inc del, looking forward to giving it a try. :thumbup:

They sound pretty similar...

I hope it works, cause this is a cool and cheap upgrade

Here´s a better picture of the spring

img2268g.jpg

You read my mind, I was going to ask for a close up to see the fixing method. :thumbup:

I think the only difference between yours and the ones I have ordered is the type of spring, yours being round and mine are rectangular, but I can't see that being a problem.

keep us informed and let us know if it does cause any damage as another user suggested it would above, guess i will have to wait until someone does this on a hatchback to know the spring size for mine :)

keep us informed and let us know if it does cause any damage as another user suggested it would above, guess i will have to wait until someone does this on a hatchback to know the spring size for mine :)

For the sake of a tenner, if I think the springs are putting the dampers under to much pressure I will order a medium duty set, or forget the whole thing.

With regards the hatchback, I would think they maybe a heavier duty version than the estate, as the rear window glass is almost twice the size - and weight. To be honest measuring is quite easy, measure the rod diameter (metal part that feeds in to the damper) mine was 8mm, then the damper diameter, go for the spring size thats slightly less, (e.g damper dia' 18mm, spring outside dia' 16mm) to work out the free length look through the gap when the boot is shut, you should be able to see how much of the rod is left exposed, mine was approx' 24mm, so I went for the 51mm spring, with a deflection of 19mm.

HTH, Lee. :thumbup:

I'm quite keen on this mod too, but am I the only person also envisaging a horrible car-park-low-roof-remote-pressed-in-pocket incident?! :giggle:

Have also thought on that... But that would also happen if you open it "manually" :giggle:

I have an estate so gonna order the blue mediums rather than the red heavy duty. :thumbup:

There's not a massive difference in the loads/ deflection etc between the medium and heavy duty, I only went for the hd version because they're red, like my calipers and springs. :giggle:

Edit: After some thought on this, I can't actually see why it will cause a problem to the dampers, all the spring does is compress so when the tailgate is released the spring reforms pushing the boot open enough for the dampers to take over as in normal operation! :thumbup:

Edited by Pagey1255
  • Like 1

My springs arrived today, just spent the last half hour trying to remove the end fixing from the damper rod!! Jesus it's on there, anyway, still no luck so I will try and pillage some tool from work that will hold the damper fast while I try and unscrew the top clip.............. :swear: