Automatic boot - Completed

Yes, that's exactly how I did it on my estate and a hatch will be no different. The piston has a screw thread on it whic the black plastic clip simply screws onto, but it is tough hence the need for a cloth and pliers so you don't damage anything with the metal plier teeth grip.

Interested to know if there's an equivalent piston conversion that could be used for the estate. As stated, the springs never work 100% as they give with age, temp and whatnot, but if the laguna ones are close in length, they would probably be enough in themselves to overcome the opening without the need for even the springs.

Anyone know the length of the estate pistons, just off by chance to save me pinging it off in the dark? :) :)

Here in the Netherlands all the estate owners replace their pistons with those off the Seat Exeo Estate. It is slightly stronger (510N)

Febi (Bilstein) nr: 31648

I also found a possible replacement which is perhaps a bit too strong (710N) from a Saab 9000 CS:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gasfeder-Heckklappe-Saab-9000-CS-/290765835707?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:NL:3160

Could be worth a try, you will hardly need springs at all then.

Edited by Octo2LPG

Good work Octo. Do you happen to know if the Exeo ones allow the boot to fully pop then, cos I can't see any reason to change them otherwise? I know you said the hatch pistons are 440N but are you saying/suggesting the estate ones are the same then, as you're saying the Exeo are 510? To be fair, I don't think it'll take a lot more energy to do it as the estate boot has a much shorter travel and weight loading.

Still a hell of a lump to hold up when you take one strut off though! :)

Update - couldn't bear it. Had to do it. I'm now £40 lighter.  I'll keep you all posted. I went for the R16x64 springs in red and the new gas struts.

Right, when the wife got home last night I could bear it no longer. Out I went at 10pm in the dark to fit the new shock absorbers to my VRS. IT WORKS  :giggle:  :thumbup:. Hope fully it will stay that way.  Video to follow possibly ?

Right, when the wife got home last night I could bear it no longer. Out I went at 10pm in the dark to fit the new shock absorbers to my VRS. IT WORKS  :giggle:  :thumbup:. Hope fully it will stay that way.  Video to follow possibly ?

Video, yes please.

My partner isn't happy that the vRS doesn't have auto boot release in the car as my old Alfa 155 did. To be able to do it with the key would please her, and we all know that's a good thing. :angel:

Could you post linkys to the kit you got too please?

Edited by nickgpfc

Still waiting on my struts to be delivered, springs at the ready! I put the springs on my existing struts out of curiosity and they pop the boot open by about 9 inches or so and it stays there, so auto opening ish, with no chance of damaging the boot on something above. Hopefully my new struts arrive soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi guys, I have an estate, the boot does'nt have quite enough omph, I seem to change the springs each year. I have ordered the yellow heavy duty ones, can someone just clarify which struts your all going for? I did fine a supplier who do UK made struts, are these ebay ones for another make/model of car? Thanks.

Parts arrived and fitted, and to my surprise it doesn't work. The springs popped the boot up about 8 inches on the OEM struts, and with the new stronger Renault ones they don't pop at all. It's just as though there's no springs with the original struts (normal hatchback boot release operation).

Right, when the wife got home last night I could bear it no longer. Out I went at 10pm in the dark to fit the new shock absorbers to my VRS. IT WORKS :giggle::thumbup:. Hope fully it will stay that way. Video to follow possibly ?

Could you please post a list of parts thar you have order for your vRS?

Shock absorbers.....

Thanx!

I went for the R16x64 springs in red and the new gas struts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130882134391?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't have a you tube account to upload the video but I assure you all it works, and it is still working a week later.

I went for exactly the same and it doesn't work on my hatch VRS.

Might not be working on mine as I put the springs on the OEM struts first for a week or two, and they might have warped slightly.

Will pick up some more springs to clarify shortly.