Superb Elegance Columbus, CD and satnav

I have no problem at all downloading music from an SD card onto my Columbus, though there is the proviso that in order to use a SDHC card you must have a later software version installed, otherwise the system will not recognize the card and allow the download/playing of music.

Units with the earlier firmware would only read SD cards up to 2GB, but it would read them correctly. The later firmware (2664 and later) removes the size restriction, allowing larger SD cards to be read. If you're trying to import destinations from NavSync, then you need a music file on the card to allow it to be initially read.

Ray

WAV files....really what a total waste of HDD / SD / iPod space.....utter madness.

You must really have very few CDs.

Ripped at a reasonably high MP3/WMA quality you will not be able to tell the difference between them and WAV...

If you say you can hear the superior quality of WAV......your pretending.....

Edited by Gavn Tobin

WAV files....really what a total waste of HDD / SD / iPod space.....utter madness.

You must really have very few CDs.

Ripped at a reasonably high MP3/WMA quality you will not be able to tell the difference between them and WAV...

If you say you can hear the superior quality of WAV......your pretending.....

256 kb/s MP3 or AAC are your best bet. I challenge anyone to tell the difference between either of those and the source CD playing through the car audio system.

Best regards

David

I've recently parted with my Superb, but when I had it, I'd make the following observations.

System had about 14Gb of Music loaded, with the upgraded speaker system and the 6 CD changer as well

Speakers are good, sometimes too good, as they can cause the doors to vibrate on anything above about half volume.

Sound dampening from the doors is excellent, so if you're someone looking to impress the locals with windows down, bass pumping, don't bother, they won't hear you :)

I subdivided my music by genre, then by artist (and album if more than 40 or so songs to make it easier to search). Shuffle works well, but only within a single folder. You can't use it the way you would an MP3 player / Media streamer and "shuffle all"

CD changer is good, easy to use, and sound quality is reasonable. I suspect this may be more to do with cabling as the built-in HD gave better sound reproduction

Aux input (in the armrest) was excellent, and often preferred choice of playback. I don't own and iPod so can't comment on the MDI interface

SD card was also very good, and was easy to use.

Ripped most of my stuff using a combination of WMA / MP3 at 192kb/s, and for nearly all types of music, it was perfect quality. Bear in mind you're in a car with ambient noise, I can't see any point in ripping much above 256, and with sufficient music, you'd run out of space anyway.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread. But I need to know, would any SD card work on the Columbus system? If not then what SD card do I need some links would be great.

Thanks

Maj

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hey guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread. But I need to know, would any SD card work on the Columbus system? If not then what SD card do I need some links would be great. Been told there specific ones also need to find out what firmware I have the size restrictions.

Thanks

Maj

Hey guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread. But I need to know, would any SD card work on the Columbus system? If not then what SD card do I need some links would be great.

Thanks

Maj

Got this SanDisk 32GB UHS1 on mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00428N88M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1373349992&sr=8-3π=AC_SX112_SY192

Columbus can't use the fast speed, but the computer you use should - so would be quicker to transfer your music onto it than a slower card.

Make sure you FAT or FAT 32 format the SD card before putting anything on it. (right click on it from Windows explorer on you PC and select format).  I got caught out by this.

I have had issues with a Hama 32GB SDHC card it was causing my columbus to crash I have switched to a 4GB (not HC) version and it has not missed a beat since.