Octavia MPG lets see which diesel is best

630 miles out of not quite a tank, could of been better too. It worked out to be about 57mpg. 400 of the miles were on dual carriageway and motorways. not sure how often I'll get to do that.

65MPG Really how you getting that what sort of driving you doing and how many miles on your car?

Hi there! Sorry for taking so long to get back.

Work is about 50 miles away. So I do at least 100 miles per day. 90% of that is at about 60mph with aircon on for a short period on each trip. The remainder of the trip is through three small villages which can be a nightmare considering the constant gear changing.

That said I'm driving normally..and my MPG is only getting higher.

1100 miles on the Odo so far. =)

• 3 months later...

Hmm, I think mine is broken :(

I have a CR vRS DSG and I'm struggling to get to 400 miles on a tank.

I commute on the motorway and generally see high 40s, low 50s on the maxidot but that doesn't add up when I get to the pump and the trip counter is barely at 400.

When I fill the car it says range ~560miles.

Hmm, I think mine is broken :(

I have a CR vRS DSG and I'm struggling to get to 400 miles on a tank.

I commute on the motorway and generally see high 40s, low 50s on the maxidot but that doesn't add up when I get to the pump and the trip counter is barely at 400.

When I fill the car it says range ~560miles.

170 PD VRS

On motorway, very worst mpg = 49

very best mpg61.8

normally about 56 ish

• 1 year later...

octavia 1.9tdi 2007 estate

tried running 100& bio diesel which it ran very well on but only got combined average of 55 - 56 mpg over 6000mls 3months

tried running on normal diesel combined driving i get 63 - 64 mpg and i tested this over another 3 months doing about 2000 miles per month around dorset.

I have now purchased and fitted a gismo from ebay which increases your bhp from 105 up to about 130 -135 but more importantly increase mpg when you drive economical. my last 3 months returned the following on a conbined average of driving with a boot full of parts for work with just me in it most of the time. month 1 gave me 72 mpg over about 2000 mls

month 2 gave me 71.4 mpg over 1900 - 2000 miles. month 3 which i am at the end of now with a few days to go am running at 71.6 mpg combined. this gismo you fit to the fuel temp sensor wiring eqsy to install. but on the odd occasion is does turn on the eng management light for high fuel temp but you just ignore it or if you have vag com just reset it. oh by the way those figures are with aircon off. but only run for 30 mins or so once every 2 weeks. tyres are at about 38 psi a bit harder than normal and driving very economical and doing about 65 max on motor or dual carriage ways. if anyone has any more ideas to try and get more mpg would be willing to try. am getting about 850 miles from a tank from a tank.

PLEASE tell us all this is not the CELOX "tuning box" which is nothing more than a resistor in a plastic box. All these do is send false fuel temperature reading to the ECU and cause overfuelling. If it is this, their website suggests that it is "normal" on some cars for the ECU light to be lit when these are in use. As well as risking serious damage to your engine, any ECU light will be an MOT failure. The ECU light only comes on when it senses something is wrong with the system -- does that not tell you something?

There have been a lot of threads about this resistor "chip". If this is what you are using, please get rid of it before it costs you serious money in repairing damage it will do to your engine.

If you don't believe us on here, try looking on Seat cupra.net (VAG forum), VW Audi Forum (VAG forum), TDI club forum (VAG forum), VW Vortex (VAG forum) -- get the picture -- they are all VAG forums, and ALL contain real horror stories of damage done by this type of chip.

You want to increase the BHP and better your economy? Then get it remapped before you destroy your car

http://www.seatcupra...ad.php?t=162531

http://www.vwt4forum...ad.php?t=116528

http://www.briskoda....blem-1-9tdi-pd/

http://forums.tdiclu...ad.php?t=354935

Need I give you any more links to look at??????

Mike

Definately remove the "gizmo" unless it is a proper tuning box. Even if it is a proper tuning box a remap is a better option. This can still be done through a handheld box you plug in yourself but it has to be from a reputable tuner. If you are looking to get better MPG then forget a remap as i have never noticed any gains to fuel economy on any of my mapped cars plus it would take for ever to recoup the cost of the remap even if there was a minescule gain.

PD170 Shark Stage 1 and DPF delete, average 50mpg over 6000 miles since owned.

The Shark stuff made no difference to mpg (definately not better) and if I do a long journey without aircon I'll get 57-58mpg which I'm delighted with.

PD170 Shark Stage 1 and DPF delete, average 50mpg over 6000 miles since owned.

The Shark stuff made no difference to mpg (definately not better) and if I do a long journey without aircon I'll get 57-58mpg which I'm delighted with.

How much with aircon?

I thought that modern engines and modern air-con pretty much made any differences negligible. I leave mine on all the time as it helps prolong the condition of theseals etc. If its not used regularly the seals become brittle and you will be facing a 600 quid bill to fix. Wouldtake a long time to re-coup £600 in any fuel savings.

In a car the weight of the octy i cant see air-con accounting for any more than a 2-3% penalty in mpg.

1.6 CRD with DSG, had the car a month (today), we have covered 2802 miles at an average of 57.8 mpg, air con on all the time.

The cars only covered 8,500 miles so hopefully with a few more miles on the clock as everything loosens up a bit the figures will improve slightly.

Regards all

Juan

2.0 CR170, typically 47 mpg, mostly commuting over a 10 mile journey, 50:50 urban:rural. On a recent holiday to Scotland, ~600 mile weekend, averaged 53 mpg over the weekend. That was 260 miles going there in a hurry, some country roads at 60 mph and the return run at the speed limit or thereabouts. I've found the trip computer agrees closely with direct measurement, brim to brim.

As previously posted, over one month and 6000 miles last September, very carefully brimmed at start and finish and all fuel reciepts kept and tallied again credit card.

for a 1.6 tdi wit der DSG 61.2 mpg or thereabouts.

Motorway and mountains time about.

not bad.

Now she is run in I get 60 plus on a liesurly run, mostly 55mpg on much shorter runs.

All summer figs

PD140 2.0: anywhere between 46 & 59 per tank full.

Calculated average around 48 but rising now I've cleaned it out a bit.

That's calculated from about 80% sensible rural driving.

Trip computer has been recalibrated and regularly shows 50-52 on rural trips now.

Around 65mpg calculated over the first 400ish miles with a range of commuting and motorway driving.

The motorway stuff was from 50mph in roadworks to 70ish when the road cleared.

1.6TDi Greenline.

I take it the non-PD engine isnt welcome here? :giggle:

I have to admit that I am surprised that the CR engine isn't coming out better than the older PD! Just goes to show...