Retofit rear parking sensors(pic request)

Just want to thank the guys that contributed to this thread which made my life so much easier when fitting.

I did it in the following order;

- Remove black bump strip (theres a moulding mark in the centre of the bumper underneath - use that as a centre point).

- Mask up area below bumper (i put about 2" worth of tape down to give plenty of tape around where i was cutting)

- Mark centre and outer points behind where the bump strip goes, then go 45mm below that (i used a ruler and spirit level to be as accurate as possible) and mark

- Bite your lip and cut the holes. Get the drill bit in first (quote slowly) then speed the drill up before you put the hole saw in so that you don't rip the paint.

- Repeat drilling x3 more times

- Feed wires in and sensors into bumper (i routed mine behind some of the bumper fixings to tidy away as neat as possible

- Remove foam wheel well liner, there are 2 grommits on the back "wall" of the wheel well, i fed the wires through one of these

The rest is self explanitory! The hardest bit really is marking up the holes (which isn't that difficult with the comprehensive measurements already in this thead!).

And the result...?

564e1898.jpg

Edited by Philip W

It's not that bad, measure once and then twice more, if you're not happy you can always start again!!

I used an ordinary ruler, masking tape, a marker pen with a fine tip and a spirit level... Hole saw bit is supplied and a perfect fit for the sensors!

Id like some but i really dont think id have the guts for it :( as id freak if didnt get them level

And corect :(

These sensors are brilliant. It's 1% price, 99% having the guts to drill holes in your bumper :)

If you take the advice on here and use masking tape, not only does it stop the paint getting as damaged by the drill but it also gives you a great place to mark up where the sensors will be and check it so many times your certain they're level. Once they're in you'll wonder what the fuss was about ;)

It seems daunting but it's very very simple once you have confirmed the measurements and got the first hole drilled!

No brainer for the cost really!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update on mine, still working perfectly.

Amazing how you adjust to them, dont like to drive the wife's car now as I like hearing the beeps!

It does beep when you reverse off a drive way for a split second, but other than that they work quite well. Beep well in advance of an obstacle behind, plenty of room to go back a bit further :)

For £13 im chuffed :)

Just done there if you can get over the fact your about to drill your bumper. It takes about 20 minutes altogether. For silver cars the sensors for me are a shade darker than the bumper buts that my OCD talking. Well worth the money!

d4814285-c10d-8d0e.jpg

d4814285-c12c-91f7.jpg

d4814285-c150-4149.jpg

similar kit as mine but my colour matches the silver perfectly?

• 1 year later...

Just ordered a kit from Amazon for £28 which has 4 rear and 2 front sensors and the display for my MK1 Occy estate. :rock:  

Do the measurements that chicken_eyebrow posted work for the estate as well as the saloon?

Also anyone got the measurements for the front bumper so that i can do them?

Seen some picture that have the sensors going round the corner of the bumper and others where they are all on the back of the bumper (which is best??) :think:

Mine are on the corners using the measurements given, and I don't know if it's a crap kit, or the sensors are in the wrong place, but I'm borderline feeling about ripping the fu**ing things out as they go off at the slightest thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Done some reading and took some measurements for the estate bumpers and have worked out where to put the sensors on the front and back bumpers  :mmm:

Rear Sensors

Position 40mm below black bumper trim
Centre Sensors : 250mm either side of centre
Exterior Sensors : 600mm either side of centre

Front Sensors

Position 30mm below black bumper trim
Centre Sensors : 60mm either side number plate recess

Just got to pluck up the courage to mark and drill the holes now then work out how to get the cables from the display and front sensors to the rear of the car where the CD changer is hidden

Looks like Easter is going to be a busy time for me ;)

It's actually surprisingly easy to drill, just use plenty of masking tape like I did, and start the drill slow. The hole cutter that comes with these Shenzhen special kits is proper sharp!

Hole cutter with the kit i got is very sharp too - it's just pulling half of the interior out to run the cables to the back that is going to take the time  :sweat: not the easiest of jobs but i'll do it even if it takes all day  :smirk: