EGR Valve Removal

I want to remove and clean the EGR tomorrow, is it just a case of removing the 3 bolts from the inlet manifold and removing the 2 pipes?

Also what can I use to clean it up? TIA

See my pictures here: EGR Cleaning

I found it hard to remove one of of the bolts and removed another piece of pipework - sure you will see when you try - 2 more allen bolts to undo.

As for cleaning it up, I used some petrol and a toothbrush plus a screwdriver to do a bit of scraping....

Remember to take some before and after pictures.

Thanks, handy pics - how did you clean up the pipework it's bolted to - did you remove it also?

Edited by alexandjen

Thanks, handy pics - how did you clean up the pipework it's bolted to - did you remove it also?

I did not take off the inlet manifold thing, as I did not have the appropiate seals. It has been suggested to me that if I was careful I could have reused the existing ones. I suspect that some of the bolts on it would be a right b!tch to undo, not to mention in a difficult place. Plenty of plusgas would be the way forward.

See my pictures here: EGR Cleaning

I found it hard to remove one of of the bolts and removed another piece of pipework - sure you will see when you try - 2 more allen bolts to undo.

As for cleaning it up, I used some petrol and a toothbrush plus a screwdriver to do a bit of scraping....

Remember to take some before and after pictures.

Ok, finally cleaned it tonight, scraped the worst off with a screwdriver, the placed it in a container, soaked some rags in white spirit, stuffed them inside the egr and let soak for 15 minutes, brushed with stiff toothbrush, rinsed with WD40, dried with blue roll, rubbed with 120 grade sandpaper, rinsed again with WD40, final dry with blue roll and refit - EGR delete now complete, just need to take it for a run to see if there is any difference.

Before.............

EGRCleaning004.jpg

EGRCleaning001.jpg

After................

EGRCleaning008.jpg

EGRCleaning006.jpg

Edited by alexandjen

EGRCleaning004.jpg

My my, that was nice and dirty! I have cleaned mine twice in my 167k miles and fortunately it has not looked that bad :wonder:

• 2 weeks later...

My my, that was nice and dirty! I have cleaned mine twice in my 167k miles and fortunately it has not looked that bad :wonder:

hi,,that is a nice job you done their ,it came up well ,i gave mine a clean but not as good as that,the car will run fine now,job well done,,