LED Brake Light how to replace ?

Hello all

the LED Brake light above my rear widows died. (Octy vrs estate 03)

is it easy to replace diy ?

cant see any fixings or screws on it so any advice as to how to replace and install replacement and cheapest source for replacement part appreciated

cheers ED

I had the same thing happen to my old Polo.

The LED cluster just pulled out, perhaps it's just the same?

The connection clip on the car had come loose - nothing a bit of solder couldn't solve.

If it's the same, it will be obvious how to fix it.

thanks yes managed to remove it and it was bonded in came loose ok and can see where units worn out in places on electrodes

but to rewire will be bit tricky

dont really want to pay dealers 70 quid plus to install new unit though

Correct

The vrs estate 3rd brake light is bonded in and if you need to replace it, it is a real pain in the............ because it is not just the fact that it is bonded in but all the disassembly and reassembly work needed.

Here is an outline of what you need to do

Removal

Remove the bonding off the old one to free the unit from the spoiler

Then remove the trim panel at the top of the screen (carefully as not to break it), unplug the unit and cut the plug off.

Then pull the cable though and the unit will remove.

Reassembly.

Take the replacement unit and dismantle

Desolder the cables form the circuit board

Take the disordered cable and feed though the hole into the spoiler

Resolder the cable onto the circuit board and temporally plug the unit in to check it works

This is now the tricky bit; make sure that the circuit board is properly sealed back into the unit!

Take the unit and bond back into the spoiler

Take the plug, plug it back in and then replace the trim piece

In the first couple of years I had 3 on mine all under warranty and the dealer admitted they hated doing the job!

Edited by iain

You can if you want, just leave the centre brake light off. The car will not fail an mot with it missing, but will if its there and not working. My dad had his removed from his old suzuki so that it would pass the mot.

Iain, Just to clarify, do you have to remove the spoiler or can you get at the bonding and take the light out with it still fitted?

No the spolier stays in place as there is about a 5mm hole for the cable to go though.