#1 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Car:2002 Fabia 1.9pd 100bhp (atd)

Posted 17 August 2010 - 13:26

Does anyone have an idea of how much a new front wheel bearing would cost inc fitting?

for my 2002 1.9tdi Fabia

Rough idea would be great :)

#2 DEAN0

DEAN0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 13:47

Does anyone have an idea of how much a new front wheel bearing would cost inc fitting?

for my 2002 1.9tdi Fabia

Unfortunately the hub/bearings and ABS sensor ring are supplied as one piece and needs pressing out and in.

I was quoted between £150 and £200 per side supplied and fitted depending where you go.

Then add the cost of tracking afterwards

#3 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 00:32

holy moses

#4 giandougl

giandougl

Baldy Guy

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:39

You could remove the complete hub assembly yourself, and trot it along to the garage with your new bearings etc, and get them to replace ??
Mark bottom swivel joint out before removal from wishbone, to assist replacing back into original position on wishbone, minimizing tracking error.
Good luck.Posted Image

Edited by giandougl, 22 August 2010 - 16:24.

#5 Tech1e

Tech1e

Cruise Control Guru

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,649 posts
  • Car:Fabia 1.4 MPI+ SEAT Leon TDI S

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:51

No adjustment on the bottom ball joint so wont move.

You have to be very carefull if using a press rather than the propper puller kit, there is a ring mounted on the bearing that must sit correctly in the hub.

#6 vRSsunroof

vRSsunroof

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • Car:MX5 (mk1) / jetta gti 16v (mk2)

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:27

Mark bottom swivel joint out before removal from wishbone, to assist replacing back into original position minimizing tracking error.
Good luck.Posted Image

Isnt tracking controlled by the track rod ends?

Edited by vRSsunroof, 18 August 2010 - 10:28.

#7 DEAN0

DEAN0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:42

Isnt tracking controlled by the track rod ends?

YES - but if any part of the suspension moves in relation to the track rod ends ( bottom ball joint, strut top mount, consol etc ) - the tracking will be out.

Edited by DEAN0, 18 August 2010 - 11:16.

#8 MartynVRS

MartynVRS

Welsh Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:56

Just had mine done again after I had a non-genuine one fitted. The ABS pickup ring failed after me giving it the beans exiting a roundabout. With a Courtesy Car Sinclair Skoda charged me £210

#9 VRSDanny

VRSDanny

One up from The Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Car:2006 Octavia vRS TFSI (Standard)

Posted 18 August 2010 - 15:41

holy moses

lol best reply ever!

#10 vRSsunroof

vRSsunroof

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • Car:MX5 (mk1) / jetta gti 16v (mk2)

Posted 18 August 2010 - 16:20

YES - but if any part of the suspension moves in relation to the track rod ends ( bottom ball joint, strut top mount, consol etc ) - the tracking will be out.

YES But so will the camber! :smirk:

#11 Tech1e

Tech1e

Cruise Control Guru

• Honorary
  • 32,649 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 20:22

But the only thing that can move is the subframe and the track rod end so if neither are touched which they won't be when removing the hub no alignment will be altered.

#12 AndyPandy

AndyPandy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 17:02

for my 2002 1.9tdi Fabia

My front wheel bearing could not be removed from hub by Skoda Dealer ,£532 for extra parts and labour!!!

#13 hockeylad72

hockeylad72

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 19:16

My front wheel bearing could not be removed from hub by Skoda Dealer ,£532 for extra parts and labour!!!

Had a similar issue, ended up getting 2nd hand hub carriers and replacing the bearings in them first, then fitting them to the vehicle

#14 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 20:51

£550?!

omg I'm gonna die if the skoda dealer tell me that.

It's really annoying, it's starting to make a very distinct wheel bearing noise pretty much 70% of the 30mile drive to work.

I took it under warrenty back to Skoda who could not diagnose the fault, they suggested it was tyre noise. I swapped the tyres around as they suggested and took the car back to them again, and low and behold, the car won't make the wheel bearing noise on any of the roads near the garage. Very very annoying, but sadly very true.

Now the warrenty has expired this week, I'm gonna have to stump up the cost of the wheel bearing job sooner rather than later.

#15 Jim H

Jim H

Happy Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 21:10

Can you remove the hub and leave the bottom ball joint in the wishbone? If you can this will not alter the camber at all, if you do not adjust the trackrod end, the toe will not alter.

#16 Tech1e

Tech1e

Cruise Control Guru

• Honorary
  • 32,649 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 21:23

Can you remove the hub and leave the bottom ball joint in the wishbone? If you can this will not alter the camber at all, if you do not adjust the trackrod end, the toe will not alter.

As I mentioned earlier, the wishbone is not slotted. The holes for the ball joint are round and the same size as the bolt so not adjustment is possible.

#17 Jim H

Jim H

Happy Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 21:56

As I mentioned earlier, the wishbone is not slotted. The holes for the ball joint are round and the same size as the bolt so not adjustment is possible.

Thanks. :thumbup: I'm sure someone on here, on a different thread, mentioned not to touch these bolts as it may effect camber. I need to replace the bearings on my mothers car (the rumble sounds like a bearing) so will at lest be removing the hub. I will probably mark the ball joint just to be safe (as Haynes suggests).

The rumble seams to get noisier on right had turns. Will this more than likely be the left (Near Side) bearing?

Edited by Jim H, 19 August 2010 - 22:01.

#18 giandougl

giandougl

Baldy Guy

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 16:33

Hello Jim H
Not necessarily so, with bearings (usually fitted with inner & outer) in the wheel hub, any could fail !!
Determine which side is the noisy side and replace that offender.
Have a front passenger with front windows down and create noise will soon isolate offending side.

Edited by giandougl, 23 August 2010 - 18:01.