Cost of a Front wheel bearing fitted ?

Gti Fly

Does anyone have an idea of how much a new front wheel bearing would cost inc fitting?

for my 2002 1.9tdi Fabia

Rough idea would be great :)

Unfortunately the hub/bearings and ABS sensor ring are supplied as one piece and needs pressing out and in.

I was quoted between £150 and £200 per side supplied and fitted depending where you go.

Then add the cost of tracking afterwards

You could remove the complete hub assembly yourself, and trot it along to the garage with your new bearings etc, and get them to replace ??

Mark bottom swivel joint out before removal from wishbone, to assist replacing back into original position on wishbone, minimizing tracking error.

Good luck.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Edited by giandougl

Mark bottom swivel joint out before removal from wishbone, to assist replacing back into original position minimizing tracking error.

Good luck.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Isnt tracking controlled by the track rod ends?

Edited by vRSsunroof

Isnt tracking controlled by the track rod ends?

YES - but if any part of the suspension moves in relation to the track rod ends ( bottom ball joint, strut top mount, consol etc ) - the tracking will be out.

Edited by DEAN0

Just had mine done again after I had a non-genuine one fitted. The ABS pickup ring failed after me giving it the beans exiting a roundabout. With a Courtesy Car Sinclair Skoda charged me £210

My front wheel bearing could not be removed from hub by Skoda Dealer ,£532 for extra parts and labour!!!

Had a similar issue, ended up getting 2nd hand hub carriers and replacing the bearings in them first, then fitting them to the vehicle

£550?!

omg I'm gonna die if the skoda dealer tell me that.

It's really annoying, it's starting to make a very distinct wheel bearing noise pretty much 70% of the 30mile drive to work.

I took it under warrenty back to Skoda who could not diagnose the fault, they suggested it was tyre noise. I swapped the tyres around as they suggested and took the car back to them again, and low and behold, the car won't make the wheel bearing noise on any of the roads near the garage. Very very annoying, but sadly very true.

Now the warrenty has expired this week, I'm gonna have to stump up the cost of the wheel bearing job sooner rather than later.

Can you remove the hub and leave the bottom ball joint in the wishbone? If you can this will not alter the camber at all, if you do not adjust the trackrod end, the toe will not alter.

Can you remove the hub and leave the bottom ball joint in the wishbone? If you can this will not alter the camber at all, if you do not adjust the trackrod end, the toe will not alter.

As I mentioned earlier, the wishbone is not slotted. The holes for the ball joint are round and the same size as the bolt so not adjustment is possible.

As I mentioned earlier, the wishbone is not slotted. The holes for the ball joint are round and the same size as the bolt so not adjustment is possible.

Thanks. :thumbup: I'm sure someone on here, on a different thread, mentioned not to touch these bolts as it may effect camber. I need to replace the bearings on my mothers car (the rumble sounds like a bearing) so will at lest be removing the hub. I will probably mark the ball joint just to be safe (as Haynes suggests).

The rumble seams to get noisier on right had turns. Will this more than likely be the left (Near Side) bearing?

Edited by Jim H

Hello Jim H

Not necessarily so, with bearings (usually fitted with inner & outer) in the wheel hub, any could fail !!

Determine which side is the noisy side and replace that offender.

Have a front passenger with front windows down and create noise will soon isolate offending side.

Edited by giandougl