How to remove rear door window?

Andy1985

My rear passenger lock has given up and my door is stuck and will not open. It doesn't open with the central locking, and when I try to open from the inside the door pin rises, only to fall straight back down once I let go.

I'm trying to get access to the lock/solenoid, so far I have the door card off, however I can't get the inner carrier/skin off to gain full access.

It seems the only way this can be done is by removing the window which is attached to the inner carrier ancillaries. From what I can tell, it looks as though you squeeze the round plug that sits near the bottom of the glass and push it towards the outside of the car to release it.

I was wondering if this is correct, and how easy would refitting be? Also, if I can't do this myself, what is a Dealer likely to charge for replacement and refitting of the door lock, assuming that is the cause of the problem. I've searched all over the forum but can only find guides to getting the door cards off, nothing about how to get the rear carrier off.

Cheers in advance. :yes:

Edited by Andy1985

To remove the door carrier you need to remove the glass. On the front doors the glass is held by 2 'clamps' with M6 2 screws.

With the door card removed do you see 2 large blank rubber bungs? If so remove the bungs and there should be the 2 M6 screws (10mm hex head) undo the screws and the glass should slide out.

This might be some use: http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/door-carrier-repair/

Edited by moley

Thanks for the quick reply Moley but the rear window is attached differently to the front. The rear is attached centrally by one fixture. It's not screwed or anything, imagine a round hole near the bottom of the window glass with a grommet looking thing in it, which then fits into something attached to the door.

Hope these pictures give you a better idea.

IMAG0130

IMAG0131

Well I managed to find a list of online manuals that will show what I mean.

Online Manuals

The one that shows the rear door window removal is elemente caroserie.pdf, and it is explained in section 58 of the pdf, not page 58.

I haven't noticed these manuals as a sticky anywhere, maybe they should be placed as a sticky in the technical guides sections??

• 5 months later...

Did you manage to get the window out? I'm having the same problem with my cordoba and although there are some minor differences in the layout of the carrier the window is still held in by that stupid "bush in a bush" arrangement. I have read the instructions (Very useful by the way, thanks!) but the instructions are not idiot proof so I want to know what you are supposed to do after you insert the screws into each bush. Just wrench them out with a pair of pliers? I cant seem to figure out any other way they would come out. Or is it reverse threaded on the outer part of the inner bush so once the bolt is tight it starts to turn the whole thing?

On same topic of above posts I am having a problem removing the outer roll pin.

Removed inner roll pin using M5 bolt screwed in and then pulled out. However when I tried the same with the M8 bolt the outer roll pin will not pull out. Instead the bolt when pulled is coming out without removing the outer roll pin.

Any hints or tips about removing this so that I can replace the rear lock.

Thanks

Eddie

So you just pull them out huh? Doesn't it seem like the stupidest design in the world? Use bolts you ******s!! At least my car is from 2002 so no rivets to drill out...

As stated in above post I had removed the inner roll pin. The outer one I was able to push out and it fell into the bottom of the door. This did not matter as I was removing the regulator to replace the door lock as it was deadlocked.

When I got access to the lock, I hit it a couple of times with a wrench to see if I could get it to work. Thankfully it opened using central locking and I was able to access the screws in the side of the door to remove the lock and replace.

Put it all back together and working fine.

Eddie

• 3 years later...

Hi Fellow Sufferers,

I removed my rear drivers side window yesterday. 

Tip 1:  Window Regulator Roll Pins:  It looks like one part but is actually two. An inner and an outer. 

Remove the Inner Roll Pin by screwing in an M5 sized bolt then get hold of the bolt and extract Inner Pin with pliers.  Easy.

I was using pliers to remove the outer roll pin for a long time after screwing in an M8 sized screw.    After I gave up and removed the screw the Outer Roll Pin came out with pliers anyway.  It must have eased up when the M8 screw went in.  If I did this again I would just put it in the screw/bolt and then take it out again and try plier extraction.

Tip 2:  To extract the glass  remove the rubber seals x 2.  Then position the rear edgeof the glass just behind the Rear Quarter Window frame and lift.  As you lift you will be able to get your fingers behind the glass and pull it towards you and away from the frame.

Tip 3:  Remain patient.

Good luck, I'm just about to take a hammer to the locking mechanism!

Billy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Tip 4:  No need to remove the glass.  After removing the two plastic bushes, wind the window fully up.  Use eg parcel tape to tape the glass to the top of the door frame.  Turn the window winder all the way down again leaving the glass in the fully closed position.

When reassembling, remove the tape and carefully push the glass down.

Edited by drgeoff