Dimmed mirrors

dubincalling

My 2010 Octavia RS was ordered in error without dimmed side mirrors. The main inside mirror dims fine.

I was asking my Skoda dealer on the price and how difficult it is to fit them and got a response that it could be a very short or even a long job. Basically, that the job would have to be explorative in nature, i.e. they would have to check the wiring etc.

My understanding is that there are wires going from the inside mirror to the A pillars and there needs to be a single extra wire connected to the dimmed mirror.

Has anyone fitted an after-market dimmed set of mirrors. How much did it cost and is it a complex job? Can these be ordered on-line?

I fitted them to my preFL Octy. Its pretty easy, if a little time consuming. It'll depend on your car as to what wiring might/might not be there.

In my case I had to add wires (power only, you can find an earth inside each door/mirror housing) from the mirror glass to the 'A' post and through the rubber boot into the car. The wires from the 'A' post upto to the interior mirror were present in my car. If your lucky your car might be wired all the way upto the door ECU's, then it'll be even easier. You might be unlucky though and have no pre-fitted wires at all!

Mirrors aint cheap though, I picked them up 2nd hand on Ebay. As the newer cars have different shape mirrors I didnt take them off my old car, I'll see what winter driving is like before I decide wether or not to put them on my new VRS. I think the price per mirror glass was approaching £200 each new from the dealer!