felicia diesel no start

hi chaps got a problem with my brothers felicia 19 d . he went for a drive out to southport came home and got in next day to go to work not starting at all dont think fuel is getting to injectors . think its a immo fault my self as correct me if i am wrong the fuel pump is linked to the immo , before this he has had no problems . we have towed it to mine. he has flattened the battery got in on charge now , any pointers please thanks sean . ps tried plugging my fault code reader in and it wont connect went to my mates garage and borrowed his better reader same thing wont connect do the diesels have a fault side on the engine

There is no engine ECU so you cannot use vag-com for that. However you should be able to look at the immobiliser, airbags and ABS (if it has it).

Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust when you try to start?

Is there fuel in the tank!? Obvious one but just thought I'd check!

Does it have an alarm with a remote?

Phil

There is no engine ECU so you cannot use vag-com for that. However you should be able to look at the immobiliser, airbags and ABS (if it has it).

Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust when you try to start?

Is there fuel in the tank!? Obvious one but just thought I'd check!

Does it have an alarm with a remote?

Phil

no alarm phil just immo on key chip . not looked for smoke tank is full Edited by spock

Doesn't the diesel just have a mechanical fuel pump driven off the timing belt? I've no experience with them myself but the Haynes manual makes no mention of a secondary pump anywhere. Presumably the immobiliser controls some part of the injection system in that case.

Doesn't the diesel just have a mechanical fuel pump driven off the timing belt? I've no experience with them myself but the Haynes manual makes no mention of a secondary pump anywhere. Presumably the immobiliser controls some part of the injection system in that case.

yes runs off camshaft , pulled hoses no fuel very low suction on pump but may be the fuel shut of regulates that ? just had a go again no go

You can check any relays with a multimeter. The immobiliser works the cut-off solenoid in the diesel pump. You can replace it with a "normal" electrical one to get it going, I believe.

think its the relay just checked it against a working one theres a guy on you tube shows how to check them thanks :)

does the pump have its own relay found the glow plug relay but at the side off it is a big mother of a relay is that it . need to get it going as long mot and tax and a cracking car he said scrap it me no i will keep going with the head down i wont give up :rofl:

yes there is phil, it controls the start/stop solenoids, egr valve and idle boost valve plus a few other bits and pieces, and aircon if it is fitted...

the immobilizer is a little black box which controls the fuel stop solenoid and is attached on the side of the injection pump

the secondary pump you mention which is driven by the camshaft is a vacuum pump for the brake servo..

hope this clears up some of the mis-information in this thread :thumbup:

just been at it again no joy sent fuel down fuel line via tundish tried pumping it no joy . sprayed eazy start it fires its got to be fuel shut off valve as it wont let fuel in to the pump . the large relay i think is the problem is there any way of testing it as it has 18 pins one of runs the shut off valve anybody got a spare relay

did you buy any fuel when you went out last as you say the tank is full... maybe a misfuel as they will usually run ok when hot but wont start when cold

update fuel is ok the pump is not letting it in . there are 2 soiliniods one on top off pump one under or side got one clicking with power to it the other is not clicking as powerfull as other going to get a manual to see what it is got it firing on eather but it wont fire on diesel as its not getting through the pump

update fuel is ok the pump is not letting it in . there are 2 soiliniods one on top off pump one under or side got one clicking with power to it the other is not clicking as powerfull as other going to get a manual to see what it is got it firing on eather but it wont fire on diesel as its not getting through the pump

cant get a manual got one here but shows f all so need to know what these solionoids doo start and stop ?

Is there power to the glow plugs,no voltage when ignition first turned on indicates glow plug relay problem.

One or more dud glow plugs would cause problem,renew them all,its like changing spark plugs.

Try waiting count of ten (after turning ignition) , and repeat a few times before engaging the starter to give them a good cooking time.

You do need a good charge on the battery.

There may be an 'air leak' on the fuel line (which may be on the fuel return).This allows the fuel to drop back into the tank, this may not be an obvious dripping fuel leak,just difficulty in starting cos the fuel has to be 'dragged' up to the injector pump.

Just churning the engine over some while will get the fuel up there (go on, churn. and churn, and churn and .., ) the thing.

You need a good charge in the battery.Or use the fuel primer (a 'lever', or or rubber bulb).

As you might tell I've been there ..

But not on this particular diesel.

200k on an astra,(those were the days), but still a diesel.

You need a 'good' oil in the engine,it gets contaminated with diesel over time and should be changed every 3000,cos you dont get such good compression with too much diesel in the sump !

It also makes the engine rattle a lot.

Edited by iansmith

have you actually scanned the fault codes yet to check it's not the immobilizer?

hi tom i have a cheap scanner i used on my petrol felicia it reads the codes ok on there but wont read the diesel linking eror. we went to a mates garage to borrow his scanner linking error again . because the diesel has no ecu , think thats why it wont read it . need to get vag com to read it ?

it's probably a dodgy connection at the diagnostics connector, very common. what happens is the hood of the plug prevents the cable from mating fully and gives connection errors, on mine i removed the 16pin plug from the shroud bracket and left it hanging loose and now i dont get any problems with it

i dont mean to sound condesending, but the diesel does have an ecu, and an immobilizer which is built into the diesel stop solnoid on the injection pump which i have already said in this thread if you read back

I'm having same problems with my s reg 1999 felicia. Garage just told me to scrap it which I really don't want to do - just gone through MOT and has been a great little car.

Garage say they can't get to the immo and solenoid without dissembling the pump as there is a big metal plate which they can't get through. If the pump's gone they say will cost £500+

Shall I scrap it? :'(