Removing the Bolero Radio

Great Yeti

After several hours I finally found how to remove the Bolero Radio in our new Yeti. It is quite simple but not very obvious and I thought that if I were to post the instructions here that they may help others.

NOTE: If you are trying to gain access to the rear of the radio to get an "Ignition Live" feed...........don't bother! There isn't one!!! - Its Can-Bus controlled.

This is the link to a PDF file which details how to remove the radio: Removing the Bolero Radio

and here is another which shows how I achieved an "Ignition Live" feed in our Yeti - Ignition Live Terminal

I needed this information to enable me to provide a modification to the "Top Box" on the dashboard to give it a USB charging facility for a Sat-Nav and or IPhone etc. I have completed the modification and will post it here as soon as time permits.

I hope that you find them useful and informative and that they save you a lot of time and effort.......................................The Great Yeti

Edited by Great Yeti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to anyone following this thread! It has taken me a little while to produce the guide to installing an "aftermarket" Sat-Nav in a Skoda YETI. Pressure of work and visitors are my excuse. Anyway here it is at last!

Installing a Sat-Nav in a Skoda Yeti

I hope this helps in some way! Should you need additional information, just email me and I will help if I can.........................the GREAT YETI

• 7 months later...

Excellent posts!!!!

I really was amazed because I had the same thing in mind but I wasn't sure how to hide the wires for the GPS!!!

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Also since you got all the wiring done, now you can get a GPS that supports a video feed and install a wireless rear view camera (really cheap from e-bay)!!!

This is actually the project that I first had in mind (combine GPS, Bluetooth and rear view camera)!

Can you please send me the schematics for the wiring and for the usb charger??

Excellent posts!!!!

I really was amazed because I had the same thing in mind but I wasn't sure how to hide the wires for the GPS!!!

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Also since you got all the wiring done, now you can get a GPS that supports a video feed and install a wireless rear view camera (really cheap from e-bay)!!!

This is actually the project that I first had in mind (combine GPS, Bluetooth and rear view camera)!

Can you please send me the schematics for the wiring and for the usb charger??

Γεια σας Giorgos.

I have sent you a PM (Personal message)..............Tony

THE GREAT YETI

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Γεια σας Giorgos.

I have sent you a PM (Personal message)..............Tony

THE GREAT YETI

Hi there,

Can you send me a pic of how it looks in the car after installation... Also the components purchase site....thx....  Is it worth the change from bolero radio  to  an upgraded system from Skoda itself .... I can't conclude....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info on removal.  I've just bought a Yeti, but the radio keeps cutting out.  I thought it might be a loose connection, but now that I've had the unit out I can't see anything, although using the climate control also seems to cause cutouts, so maybe I need to take everything out!

Thanks for the info on removal.  I've just bought a Yeti, but the radio keeps cutting out.  I thought it might be a loose connection, but now that I've had the unit out I can't see anything, although using the climate control also seems to cause cutouts, so maybe I need to take everything out!

Hi Nick - Try pulling the main radio fuse [Fuse No 8 @ 15 amps on our Yeti] under the bonnet for a minute or two. That should cause it to reboot. Many other here at Briskoda have found that it works

Good luck...........Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to anyone following this thread! It has taken me a little while to produce the guide to installing an "aftermarket" Sat-Nav in a Skoda YETI. Pressure of work and visitors are my excuse. Anyway here it is at last!

Installing a Sat-Nav in a Skoda Yeti

I hope this helps in some way! Should you need additional information, just email me and I will help if I can.........................the GREAT YETI

Hi Great Yeti!

I am swapping over my fabia for a yeti which has a standard bolero system. Can your user guide help install an aftermarket apple car play system? Will the steering wheel controls still work??

Thanks

forgot to mention the yeti I will be getting will either be a 1.2 TSI auto 2012 or a 2.0 TDI elegance auto

hope this helps

Edited by true247spartan

I am swapping over my fabia for a yeti which has a standard bolero system. Can your user guide help install an aftermarket apple car play system? Will the steering wheel controls still work??

As to the question will the user guide help in installing and aftermarket system. I don't see that it can, other than helping you to remove the Bolero which is what the post set out to describe.

You do not say what form your "aftermarket apple car play" will be. If it's to form part of the existing Bolero - Then I suspect the answer is probably no.

You are proposing purchasing a 2012 Yeti. The Bolero fitted to that year is, I believe,  an MIB1 and the Apple Car Play system is, as far as I am aware, only available on the MIB2 platform, introduced a couple of years or so, later. You may be able to do some form of add-on device but I would have thought it most unlikely that the steering wheel controls will interface. I'm sorry I cannot provide a better answer. You would be better asking the question, together with much more detail as to what you are trying to fit, in the "ICE" (In Car Entertainment) section.

As to the question will the user guide help in installing and aftermarket system. I don't see that it can, other than helping you to remove the Bolero which is what the post set out to describe.

You do not say what form your "aftermarket apple car play" will be. If it's to form part of the existing Bolero - Then I suspect the answer is probably no.

You are proposing purchasing a 2012 Yeti. The Bolero fitted to that year is, I believe,  an MIB1 and the Apple Car Play system is, as far as I am aware, only available on the MIB2 platform, introduced a couple of years or so, later. You may be able to do some form of add-on device but I would have thought it most unlikely that the steering wheel controls will interface. I'm sorry I cannot provide a better answer. You would be better asking the question, together with much more detail as to what you are trying to fit, in the "ICE" (In Car Entertainment) section.

Thanks for the reply. I will get much more info tomorrow and will compare some aftermarket APC systems. Maybe look into stalk control adapters too... This might prove a challenge.

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive the delay in reply, but I've been in the Isle of Man for a couple of weeks.  I've just removed the fuse, as you suggested and, so far, the signs are good!  Thanks.

Further down the line, the gremlins are back with knobs on.  I imagine that this is an ignition switch connection problem after reading similar stories on other sites, so will be taking the car for a circuit check.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the car to my local dealership - Sparshatt's Fareham - and the engineer who came out to look had never seen the problem before.  " Might take 10 minutes or 2 hours" to diagnose, so will be looking to an independent ICE shop, I think!

Really sorry to hear you are still having problems Nick. Do please let us know what the heck the problem was when you finally get it fixed...........Tony

• 4 years later...

Hallo Great Yeti,

Yesterday 11/19/2020, I found your posts with the instructions plus explanatory photos on how to build out the radio.  I have a Yeti 1.2Tsi from 2010 and would like a workshop manual or something similar to be able to do some maintenance and minor repairs myself.  That is why I am looking for such documents and I would like to know where you found them.  Would you like to let me know?  My e-mail address is [email protected].  

Kind regards, Arjen.

3E549F52-C32A-41EE-9FDA-461F0F163BE4.jpeg

3F3DAFB5-1F3F-46D5-ACE7-7AC3BF061182.jpeg

73E5403C-3758-4B89-B972-81AE75CBAB5F.jpeg

Hoi Arjen - Welkom bij Briskoda :handshake:

When we had our faithful & trusted 2010 YETI ( Tigger - and yes we still miss him!) No one had access at any manuals for the Yeti. This is why so many people here at Briskoda contributed their time and effort to make there own guides on how to do things. It was & is, very successful in helping each other. So with great care I took him apart and produced a number of guides, which is what you came across.

Things & time have moved on and we are now VERY fortunate that we have a member here @ Briskoda called Arkaig (Real name Mike). Mike has willingly given his time etc and helped literally hundreds & hundreds of people by publishing the full sets of manuals for various Skoda models. They can be found in most of the model sections. I have just done a search and he has already published them for the Yeti! Here is the LINK

It looks like a set of 10 covering each individual section of the car - Well done Mike! :clap: :thumbup: (Arkaig) 

I do hope they help you, all thanks really go to Mike!..............Enjoy your "Sneeuw Monster" as we often affectionately call it here........de jouwe in vriendschap (Yours in friendship)     Tony

PS: I hope that my Google Dutch is correct

PPS: Whenever I drove our Yeti, & we had him 7 years! he put a smile on my face! Now even just the name makes me remember and I smile.....Thank you - Dank Je Arjen :blush