Ignition Live Circuit

Great Yeti

Finding an "Ignition Live" circuit on a modern vehicle can be difficult! Many people for years have used a connection at the rear of the radio or head unit as they are often now called. This, in many cases, is no longer possible as the radio "on" function is performed by the CAN-BUS [a digital communications and control system found in most modern vehicles].

This is how I overcame the problem in our Skoda Yeti: Ignition Live Terminal

I hope this helps.................The Great Yeti

Edited by Great Yeti
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to add to this that, having tried it, the plug in "add a circuit" type fuse holders as mentioned at the end of the article fit easily under the Yeti fuse box cover and make adding a fused circuit remarkably simple.

The Skoda approved approach of cutting into the loom and crimping back together with an additional wire in place didn't appeal if I'm honest.

Or you could buy a repair wire and fit it into an unused switched live slot in the fusebox.

I did just that on my Octy II, but the Yeti fuse box is different do there are no unused switched live slots available.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to totally agree with Gyp. A really simple and effective way to add a feed for sat nav or camera.

Great post , Great yeti.

Thank you Billhook for your most kind comments. I hope it helped in some small way.................Tony   :hi:

• 1 year later...

can anyone tell me where I can get a suitable lead to use with the piggy back fuse connecter to use as a mini usb into the camera.  I don't want to cut up the orginal camera usb power lead

think I should have put this another grin.......my camera has a mini usb socket that goes into the camera...on the other end is the cigarette socket fitting.....I was looking for  a spare one that I can butcher and connect to the piggy back fuselead thus keeping the original lead intact that was supplied with the camera

could get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-male-to-mini-USB-5-pin-male-cable-Power-Data-Lead-1-5m-/131510223809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9e9ec3c1

and cut off the larger usb lead then feed the cable from behind the interior roof lights at the front of the roof lining then feed it to the camera on the windscreen,then find an  ignition feed from roof console to switch camera on / off

could get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-male-to-mini-USB-5-pin-male-cable-Power-Data-Lead-1-5m-/131510223809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9e9ec3c1

and cut off the larger usb lead then feed the cable from behind the interior roof lights at the front of the roof lining then feed it to the camera on the windscreen,then find an  ignition feed from roof console to switch camera on / off

NO! - MOST DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!! - Do not do this unless you want to "Fry" the camera!

USB is a 5 volt supply to any equipment that it supplies NOT 12 volts. Connecting the lead directly to the 12 volt (13.8v) of the car will cause irreparable damage to the circuits in the camera and may well damage the cars electronic circuits / modules.

A USB connector has four pins inside it. Pin Nos. 1&4 are positive and negative (5 volts!) and Nos. 2&3 carry the data signal. In many cases, 2&3 will need to carry a small voltage (less than the 5v) in order that the device (camera etc) thinks that it is connected to an intelligent source or it will not accept the supply and not charge.

The only way to get the supply you desire is to use a method similar to that outlined by domhnal (see post no 9 above) or use a dedicated USB supply module. You can see how I provided a USB supply for my Sat-Nav here. That was my answer - I'm sure others will have there own.

I hope this helps in some way - I really hope this is in time to dissuade you from a very unwise course of action.............Tony

• 1 month later...

hi again

Sorry I haven't been back in a while, I found a better solution to fitting my dash cam....a nextbase dashcam fitting kit from Halfords for £10

all fittings to plug into fusebox for an ignition live feed ....done it all today inside 1 hour

• 6 years later...

Hi Everyone. A quick update to this somewhat ancient and rather outdated thread…..

Recently some members have contacted me to let me know that some of the links to PDF Guides that I did some time ago for the Škoda (Technical) Guides section have stopped working! It would appear that Google Sites, where the original guides were saved for viewing online, last year changed the way it operates, and that some of the links to the PDF guides are no longer operative. It’s all a bit haphazard as about 50% still work, but the remainder don’t. So if this has caused you any inconvenience I do sincerely apologise. I think the best way forward for these to be enabled for viewing is to upload the relevant files directly to Briskoda, where I am sure they will be safe for future reference. So here, attached to this post, is the PDF Guide that this thread refers to.

When this Post was originally written (2010), piggy-back fuse connectors had just about started to be spoken about let alone be available. Thus this was my attempt at providing a method of connecting to the ignition live terminal. The piggy-back fuse is now readily available and provides a much improved solution to achieving that connection.

As things change and time has passed, some of the information may seem a little dated. However, so are our vehicles, but some of the information contained in the guide is still relevant and may still be of use & help others. Should you come across any other guides (of mine) please let me know and I will do my best to update them.

Hope this helps………..Stay safe & happy motoring………Tony

PDF File Attached:

Škoda Yeti - Ignition Live Terminal

Škoda Yeti - Ignition Live Terminal.pdf