Skoda Yeti - Removing the Glove Box

Great Yeti

Removing the Glove Box on a Skoda Yeti is simple but not obvious! Four Torx headed screws are easy to find but there is a fifth hidden behind the Push-Button release.

This link will load a PDF file which details how to do it.......................Skoda Yeti - Removing The Glove Box

Take your time - it's quite simple really!.......................................................Great Yeti

(With grateful thanks to Kasha for the original tip!)

• 11 months later...

Removing the Glove Box on a Skoda Yeti is simple but not obvious! Four Torx headed screws are easy to find but there is a fifth hidden behind the Push-Button release.

This link will load a PDF file which details how to do it.......................Skoda Yeti - Removing The Glove Box

Take your time - it's quite simple really!.......................................................Great Yeti

Great Yeti.. Thank you very much I could not have done it without your excellent guide. The SD card holder for the SWING Radio now sits discretely in the Glove Box

Great Yeti.. Thank you very much I could not have done it without your excellent guide. The SD card holder for the SWING Radio now sits discretely in the Glove Box

You are most welcome - glad it helped emoticon-0148-yes.gif........Tony

• 3 months later...

You are most welcome - glad it helped emoticon-0148-yes.gif........Tony

thanks great yeti, one question, is it possible to just remove the 'door' of the glove box as it has some scratches id like to spray.

cheers

Edited by dawnbringer

thanks great yeti, one question, is it possible to just remove the 'door' of the glove box as it has some scratches id like to spray.

cheers

Hi. If my memory is correct, and after a quick inspection of "Tigger". I believe that the glove box is a one piece unit that cannot be disassembled other than its complete removal from the vehicle.................... "Milied Kuntenti" - Tony

• 1 year later...

Rather excellent guides, thanks Great Yeti. A question, if I remove the glove box on my S spec would I have access to the underside of the moulded centre non-removable dashboard 'tray'? Only need to reach the left hand side as I want to fit a powerpoint for my Sat Nav and check clearances and obstacles under the tray. I'm going to go for the standard flush fitting lighter type which will also hold a neat almost flush fitting 5v dual USB adapter, giving a point that offers both types of connection.

Hi "Jeep"

It's such a long time since I did this I honestly cannot remember! BUT - if you check out the picture (Fig:11) in the SatNav Guide ( LINK ) I think you will find it very difficult. From memory there is an dashboard airbag in the way and Fig: 11 shows ventilation ducting adjacent to where I think you are talking about. 

I remember at one point needing to get a very small cable down from the "Top Box" area, to the switch panel below the radio. I could not route it other than by removing the radio and working it down through this area as there was so much stuff in the way. Removing the radio is relatively easy.........LINK

Should it prove not possible to do what you are proposing. Consider:

1. Passing the SatNav charging cable through a small hole into the tray. Feeding the cable via the glove box and rear of the radio. This will involve a little luck and some fishing.
  2. Installing the proposed circuit in the "Cubby Hole" in front of the gear stick. Not quite as good, as you will still have cables about but better than them trailing across the gear stick from the existing power socket.

Removing the Cubby Hole is easy .....LINK

Anyway, I hope some of this helps and that you are successful in your endeavours! Let me know how you go on....................Tony

• Like 1

Thank you for quick response. Now that I look at the glove box it seems to be of a different design also and the front flange also incorporates an on/off switch for the passenger air bag, hidden when the lid is closed, so best left alone me thinks. I suppose the cubby hole would be a compromise. I was wondering if any of the vents could be temporally removed.

I was wondering if any of the vents could be temporally removed.

I would not think so as you cannot gain access to them as I could through my removable top box. I don't think there is enough room to drop the ventilation distribution matrix from below. I suspect that it can only be achieved by removing the dashboard.

You could try posing the question in the Yeti Forum [general section] LINK. You will probably get a good response there if you tell them what you are trying to get at and that you are trying to gain access to the underside of the dashboard tray as opposed to a "Top Box" as many describe it. There are some exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful members there. Some of which have access to the electronic  "Workshop manual". If you are lucky, you will get a reply from someone like Tim, aka "The Plumber" or "TP" with exploded diagrams of the area in question from that manual which will allow you to assess the problem better. You will probably need to stress the fact that it is a tray as all the other models feature a Top Box and it has caused confusion in previous threads on other subjects.

In hindsight, and after having done a few modifications in the area in question. I think I would locate a SatNav charger within the glove box and feed it's cable through a small hole, in and to, the tray. I would drill the hole just big enough to get the SatNav [Mini USB?] plug through and then insert a small grommet which would prevent the cable falling back through the hole. When you eventually came to the disposing of the vehicle, you can remove everything quite easily and put a small blanking grommet in the hole.

Hope you soon find a good resolution to the problem..............Tony

PS. I don't think there is any difference in the glove box design. It sounds just like mine and all the others I have seen. I was able to drop the glove box without getting near or affecting the airbag at all. Though I did disconnect the battery just to be safe and prevent any airbag warning lights appearing.

Edited by Great Yeti

I've thought of a much simpler solution and a black cable will be almost invisible, and should involve no drilling. Using a 12 volt lighter adapter in its own housing. This can be fixed with double sided adhesive facing forward between the two small grills in front of the open tray. The black cable will be almost invisible running around the bottom edge of the window recess and down into the fuse box area. It also means it can be easily removed to return to original condition. Using my dual 5v USB adapter in this will give a nice short lead to the Sat Nav and also an iPhone charging point.

Edited by jeep

• 11 months later...

I would like to remove my glove box to run a USB cable from the back of my double din stereo, which I plan to fit soon, into the glove box to use as a phone charger etc.  

When my glovebox is open there is a switch for the passenger airbag which will come with it when I remove it. Will this cause me any problems i.e. will the airbag go off or will it be ok if I switch the airbag off?

I would like to remove my glove box to run a USB cable from the back of my double din stereo, which I plan to fit soon, into the glove box to use as a phone charger etc.  

When my glovebox is open there is a switch for the passenger airbag which will come with it when I remove it. Will this cause me any problems i.e. will the airbag go off or will it be ok if I switch the airbag off?

Hi Mark - I presume that the airbag switch for the front passenger is the one to which you are referring.

You can drop the box sufficiently to gain "access" without having to worry about the disconnecting anything. BUT as a precaution I disconnected the battery and waited 10 minutes before dropping the box. This allows internal capacitors to discharge & ten minutes should be regarded as a minimum.

I would always recommend disconnecting the battery when working in the vicinity of an airbag! Should one go off when your face was very near you could be severely injured! and disconnecting the battery will prevent airbag fault lights which can be generated if you disconnect the Airbag whilst the vehicle is still "alive" as it were. Don't forget to reset your powered windows after reconnecting the battery - the traction control system etc resets itself.

The good news is that it is a relatively simple matter to route a cable from the rear of the ICE to the glove box. I have installed a couple of USB chargers for friends and found that the centre storage box below the ICE / heating controls, and just in front of the Gear selector, is a very convenient spot to place a USB outlet for access from the drivers position (See LINK for how to gain access) or as in my own vehicle - the Top Box (See LINK for details) I just mention them as possible alternatives and perhaps they may help in some small way.

Best of luck........................Tony

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

If I just want to remove the glovebox LID... anyone know how to do this? Im hoping its simple.

Sadly I have dropped the Air control pull / push control at the top of the open glovebox down the back of it, so need to get the lid off to remove it and put it back!

Thanks in advance. 

Hopefully.

Paul

• 3 years later...

Despite Great Yeti’s excellent pdf, I’m struggling with the removal of my glovebox on my 2016 Yeti.  All five screws are well and truly out, but the glovebox just hangs down on its pivots/axle and won’t budge. What am I missing (apart from some self-esteem after hearing everyone say how “simple” it is :) ?8B0432AA-1328-43B4-AA01-FC3950FDF7AA.jpeg.e6c62aee63b6e15e186f75113a22403e.jpeg

Sorted. The two screws at the bottom are very hard to see and go almost vertical up into the glovebox housing. The two I originally removed were the adjoining trim screws which are clearly visible. I’m adding a photo of the ones you DON’T want to remove!  

image.jpg

Hi Sjrcass

Glad to see that some of the PDFs I created such a long time ago are still helping members here. 

The technical section is a great place to share information and has helped me tremendously in the past! Anyway, Thank You for the kind comment. It is much appreciated.....Yours in friendship...Tony

Tony, your pdf saved me the two hours of head scratching that I was then able to devote to solving the mystery of the wrong screws :) !  Much appreciated indeed.   

New Pioneer micro amp installed with the stock Amundsen MIB2, and all sounds amazing!  Thanks again, Tony. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks Great Yeti, I just disassembled the glove box following your directions.

I needed to fix the lock mechanism, I'm attaching a picture to show how it's made to whoever could find it useful:

image.thumb.png.63e2022b2d4f8c3eec9c19dafaae2b75.png

In my case, the two latches were remaining inside, preventing the box to stay closed.

I just cleaned up everything, oiled anew and shortened by 2 or 3 mm the spring visible on the right of the pic.

Great Yeti.

I am pretty sure I used your resource amongst others nearly all on this site when I had to remove the entire dashboard due to deployment of airbags.

I remember becoming stuck on the glovebox because there was one screw hidden behind the latch and it was clear that without the knowledge of how the latch handle was removed I was going to breal it attempting, as always I had launched into something and then looked for info after coming unstuck.

perhaps some of the other guides I used were yours.

I extend my thanks to yourself and all the others who have contributed articles like yours.

Hi J.R.

Thank you for your most kind comments. As you correctly pointed out, I was only one of many who attempted to assist other Yeti owners in the Technical Guides Section. Some may be gone from here, but are not forgotten!

I must say that when I first discovered Briskoda back in 2010, I was most encouraged and impressed by the people who contributed to the Yeti section. It always has been an amazing place to find new friends and exchange ideas and information, especially in the Yeti Technical Guides section. I have always found it to be not only informative but exceptionally helpful and especially friendly! I still drop in to Yetiland now and again. often just for something to make me smile and see what old friends are upto!

Sadly I (we) are now Yetiless and have been since we took delivery (August 2018) of our new Karoq. I miss the friendly banter that you can always find here in Yetiland. It's not quite so prevalent in other sections in my humble opinion. I put that down to the Yeti's ability to always put a smile on your face whenever out and about in a Yeti.

On a different note, when we first went, somewhat reluctantly, to test drive a Karoq. We were not expecting to be impressed, as in our prior opinion, NOTHING could possibly compare with a Yeti! Boy, were we wrong. We have a 1.0 litre DSG SEL Karoq now and it is an amazing car. Many of the attributes of the Yeti were carried over and some new ones added. The result is a very good family car. Lots of room and the 1.0 Litre engine is so quite and surprisingly powerful. Paired with the DSG the engine is amazing! Due to my wife's poor health we only manage a few short runs these days but they do cover all types of road. We seem to average around 48 MPG overall (Tank Full to Full). Who knows what we would get on a halfway decent run.

Anyway, thanks once again for your comments. And to all the other people who inhabit Yetiland.......Please keep smiling and helping each other - My best wishes to all, new friends and old........Tony

• 8 months later...
On 13/09/2010 at 05:26, Great Yeti said:

Another thanks - had to remove glove box to fix latching issues. 

I would never have found the hidden screw - thanks again. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Wimw. 👍 Glad the guide helped in some small way.

In answer to your question, “will that go away”. Unfortunately it will not I am sorry to say. However it can be reset by someone with VCDS or an OBD scanner that has the reset capability. Your best bet is to post a request for someone local to you that has the kit and is willing to help. Fortunately the general YETI section (LINK) of Briskoda is populated with a great many members who will be willing to help you. If you are due a service in the near future, most garages would reset it for you during the service if you ask. It only takes a few seconds.

Alternatively, you might want to purchase one of these OBD dongles for yourself. They are not expensive, anywhere between £10 & £20 will get you one that can do lots of things including resetting the airbag warning light. A quick Google search and you will find dozens. For more information & advice on these dongles just include the word Briskoda in your search term (Search: Briskoda - OBD - reset airbag warning) and you will find a great many references where Briskoda members have used them for just the job you are trying to do.

For future reference, should you need to work around or disconnect the air bag, It is MOST ADVISABLE to disconnect the vehicle battery to avoid the bag deploying and causing considerable damage and very possibly serious personal injury! Trust me, I was a firefighter for many years and have seen the results of accidental deployment of airbags and it very often leads to quite serious and often life changing injury!

You can avoid future warnings when working on / around the system by disconnecting the vehicle battery. This will prevent the cars monitoring systems seeing the airbag has been temporarily disconnected whilst you work! It’s good standard practice in the industry so don’t worry about it. Just disconnect the battery as normal and wait for about 5 to 10 minutes to allow any residual power to drain from the capacitors in the engine management system. That’s it, you can now disconnect the airbag without fear that the warning will display when you reconnect everything. When you re connect the battery it auto resets the cars systems. If I remember correctly, all you lose is the current trip mileage record, though with some makes, of which Škoda is one, you need to drive a few yards to complete the systems reset.

Hope this helps……Tony

PS: To all that read this post; Please take this as a friendly warning that working on or around any airbag has potentially lethal consequences! The very least you should do is to disconnect the vehicle battery when working in proximity to an airbag and NEVER under any circumstances attempt to dismantle one! They carry an explosive charge!

Edited by Great Yeti
  • Like 1