Superb Oil Pump problem

Abbey Al

Hi all,

whenever I look at all the posts that are being made on the Superbs, a common theme sems to be the oil pump problem. It seems that everyone at some time has encountered this very expensive malfunction and I want to know is that common, or are there lots of Superb owners out there who have enjoyed thousands of milesof trouble free driving.

I ask this because as you are probably aware, most mini cab companies always have a few Skodas within their fleet as their drivers would go for cars that are mechanically reliable and fairly cheap to run. I would think if the oil pump problem was common they wouldn't be interested in them at all.

So are there any Superb owners out there who have never had an oil pump problem? It would be nice to know.

So are there any Superb owners out there who have never had an oil pump problem? It would be nice to know.

Yes all of the 1.9 owners, as the oil pump problem is only on the 2.0 140PD.

All of the 1.9 and V6 diesels are OK as are all of the petrol engines (although the 1.8T will sludge up if lubrication is not optimal).

I strongly suspect the oil pump drive coupling has been modified on the later 2.0 PD engines as this problem now seems to have "gone quiet". Typically, VAG neither admit to the problem ever existing nor give any info as to the serial numbers of the affected engines - leaving owners of 2.0 PD engines with a high degree of uncertainty - or a big bill.

Should we be doing business with people like this?

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

Anyone who is worried should get an oil pressure guage fitted.

Whilst it won't stop the pump failing it may give you enough of a warning to prevent other parts of the engine suffering from low oil pressure. If you wait until the oil pressure warning light it may already be too late.

A guy brought one to me on Monday. He was unaware of the problem but had boost, oil pressure and battery volts guage installed (because they looked cool). He noticed the oil pressure had dropped to about half normal over about 40 miles.

The oil pump shaft wasn't completely rounded, but if I wiggled it whilst turning it would rotate in the balancer shaft hole.

Anyone know how low the the oil pressure needs to go before the light goes on? Roto?

I suspect the oil pressure light is another issue that needs to be redressed. Personally i think it is set too high, and should of been fitted with one that comes on much sooner...as for the pressure switch to actually come on, i would have thought at most 0.2 bar.....but thats my guess. Personally by the time the oil pressure light did come on, oil would have stopped flowing around the engine longer than it took the light to come on!! and by then possible engine issues will already be present...take my car for example !!

Although i havent asked my independant to look at it just yet, i will when funds allow, as i think i am in for a little bit of expense....but nowhwere near the ammount suk wanted to charge me, and it is for that reason i am slowly saving up. It might take some time, but when i come to sell it looking virtually brand new and running as it should be, there wont be many superbs with 38k on the clock., and if i do manage to sell it, gonna treat myself and the wife to a decent holiday due to the stress involved..kind regards...skodanut

where exactly would be the best place to connect the oil pressure gauge to the engine? i was assuming where the oil pressure switch was?? Still think my superb will be off the raod for quite a while till funds allow grrrrrrrrrrr.

Forget an oil pressure gauge. You won't see it when it matters as there are far too many distractions in normal driving.

As I have outlined, these oil pump drives tend to fail suddenly and without warning - I've yet to see one partially fail giving low oil pressure. The only really effective pressure warning is an audible warning - which the VAG engines have. It could be argued that the threshold for this is set too low, but you have to allow for a worn engine at hot idle with thin oil - otherwise an audible system is useless.

There is no substitute for a properly driven oil pump. It's not rocket science and every other engine maker (apart from Land Rover) seems to be able to manage it. Once a pump drive fails, the damage is done quickly and a gauge will not help you unless you never look where you are going...

rotodiesel.

When this car came in the oil pressure was irratic and showing around 1 bar at 2k.

Before I saw this one I assumed they failed fairly quickly, but the guy who brought it in swears it took 40 miles. All the shafts I'd seen before were completely rounded off but this one wasn't.

Whilst this could be a fluke, I'm not convinced that they always fail suddenly - it's just that we don't usually see them until it's too late.

What drew his attention to the guage was that it was "jumping about" when he was driving at a steady speed.

I agree with everything you say about poor design and of course even if you do notice low oil pressure, you still have too take the car apart to replace the drive.

I've just been talking to a guy who owns his own small company. He bought five Audis as company cars. Three out of five (he sold the other two) had oil pump drive failures. His dealer was still telling him they hadn't seen this problem before as he took the third one in. Fortunately, all three cars were still under warranty.

Just to momentarily change the topic slightly – well quite a lot actually – it seems SUK aren’t the only ones not to have heard of common faults in their cars. I’ve been looking around for something to replace the wife’s Mini and got to fancying the idea of a Smart Roadster (she think’s they’re cute, I’ve heard they go round corners rather well ;) – and the insurance is good). Knowing how good the info is in this forum, I thought I’d check out a Smart forum for a nosey.

Guess what – water leaks aplenty, damaging the electrics module, causing mayhem and leaving bills of £1000 - £1800. The Smart/Mercedes dealers “don’t know anything about it†and there doesn’t seem to be anything going by way of goodwill.

Sound familiar? :yes:

Message seems quite clear – don’t buy German designed cars. Or if you do, get shot before the warranty runs out. :)

I’ve gone off diesels due to the potential DPF issues with the driving I do 90% of the time, so I see two jap cars coming into the fold soon – MX5 and Avensis/Accord estate.

I have to admit that i to do a lot of driving on the motorways, and tbh, i dont see that many smart cars myself...but i have noticed that i do see quite a lot of older cars...the ones that back in the 80's and tbh, i think they are on the road because they are more reliable !!. They are probably a lot easier to maintain, spare parts are still available, and easier to work on with no computer to fiddle with when the warning lights come on. and probably cheaper to insure.

where i work , there is a guy who restores mgb's, and has a yard full of the things.....and he told me today that he is seeing a lot of ppl enquiring about getting one and basically restored, for mondeo money.....not only does one drive a classic car, its also basically brand new when this guy strips the shell and re-works the engine and supplies them with mot's.Mind you i dont think i can squeeze into an mgb lol, but id make an effort to squeeze into the slightly bigger one that has the 3.6 ltr v8....what a beast that is !!

ok, can join the discussions about the Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI, 2007, 140km, engine BSS. I have it for two years. before I whad skoda superb 1.8t, wonderful, bestia. About tdi-at the moment the car has 45,000 miles and is in the servisce (Skoda garage)for general repair (oil pump, and what was associated with insufficient oil pressure , the engine). From the beginning, as I said car purchased in 2008 after a few weeks deid highlighting the doors and external mirrors, salon mention the module, this resulted in loosening the driver's seat and after re-tightening began move in the corners, I spent two months in the fight with skoda garage. after, every service done on time, etc., until March this year, began to strange noises in the engine, like drill-auto into the garage and get it started, the next few weeks (listed pump support, then the tensioner and it turned out that it bering on a ventilator). and the warranty expired the end of June, in August for 2 days before I should start holiday a lighted lamp oil pressure. I called the AA, as told in the book, and THE "mechanic" - let him sleep light will be, found that i can ride it, just do not exceed 1500rpm. conversation in the garage, and information that the oil pump and engine are damaged .I should not drive a car should be towed away!. The car is in the Skoda garage from 08/11/1910, I am without a car and the Skoda does not want to give me a replacement car. There is a problem with finding new engine.

The future of car ... I will not pay for parts, I pay only 70% LABOR

How long can hold servis car without incurring any liability?

all kinds of comments are welcome!!

sorry for the language.

Personally what it needs is a whole list of people on here for example, myself included and write off to WATCHDOG.....and complain bitterly.....that the engine is not fit for use. I didnt get anywhere with skoda.....same old senario......out of warranty, and as for solicitors, well if you can afford it, go for it, I personally wasnt prepared to pay 275 quid for the 1st hr. Maybe they might be interested in making a complaint to the manufacturer. After all, it isnt just skoda, its other VW marques as well.They should not get away with it.....as simple as that.

It's a bit out of date - the Superb never had the chain driven balancer shafts (eg. BHW engine) which was, predictably a complete disaster.

Rather than fix the job properly (all of their decent engine designers were probably working on the CR units) dear old VAG substituted a gear drive with a central idler for the abysmal chain drive, but left the oil pump coupling as it was. This is the build state of the PD140 Superb. Sheer genius.

This problem has cost a lot of people a great deal of money and inconvenience. Coupled with VAG's other stupidities and dishonesties such as not testing the Teves Mk 60 ABS controller properly, not recalling RHD B5.5s for rain water ingress etc., there is only one conclusion I can draw.

That these people are not honest enough to be worth doing any future business with.

rotodiesel.

The sales of goods act. OK. This can that be helpful.

Question: auto 3 years old, bought from Arnold Clark Motorstore, before 1 owner, the warranty is over in late April. They have to replace the motor - the problem with oil pump (Skoda- goodwill). To whom, to refer the complaint to the arnold clark(they sold a defective product) or Skoda(Because skoda, produced a defective product).?

You have to go back to Arnold Clarke as that is who your 'contract' was with. Good luck though!

If you are unsure what I mean by the 'good luck' bit then then Google "Arnold Clark problems" etc and read for yourself.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

whenever I look at all the posts that are being made on the Superbs, a common theme sems to be the oil pump problem. It seems that everyone at some time has encountered this very expensive malfunction and I want to know is that common, or are there lots of Superb owners out there who have enjoyed thousands of milesof trouble free driving.

I ask this because as you are probably aware, most mini cab companies always have a few Skodas within their fleet as their drivers would go for cars that are mechanically reliable and fairly cheap to run. I would think if the oil pump problem was common they wouldn't be interested in them at all.

the oil pump problems isnt common according to some people you speak to it only affects certain chassis numbers i have a skoda superb which has only done 78,000 miles with this oil pump failure ,im afraid Skoda were non v commital in there advice only saying they didnt know of any problem ??i contacted my local garage and theby said this oilo pump problem affected vw audi and skoda models i couls d appreciatete it if my Skoda had done 200,000 plus miles but not at 78,000 miles the reason i went for a skoda was the reliability quoted by all the taxi drivers i know . i have to say i am really s disappointed i now need to spend roughly 1700 pounds on a car which has only done very few miles i contacted Skoda and told them mine was an 07 plate so there would be no goodwill gesture towards the enormous cost of the 2011 update of the oilo pump mechanism ,i am seriously peed off with Skodas at the moment

the oil pump problems isnt common according to some people you speak to it only affects certain chassis numbers i have a skoda superb which has only done 78,000 miles with this oil pump failure ,im afraid Skoda were non v commital in there advice only saying they didnt know of any problem ??i contacted my local garage and theby said this oilo pump problem affected vw audi and skoda models i couls d appreciatete it if my Skoda had done 200,000 plus miles but not at 78,000 miles the reason i went for a skoda was the reliability quoted by all the taxi drivers i know . i have to say i am really s disappointed i now need to spend roughly 1700 pounds on a car which has only done very few miles i contacted Skoda and told them mine was an 07 plate so there would be no goodwill gesture towards the enormous cost of the 2011 update of the oilo pump mechanism ,i am seriously peed off with Skodas at the moment

the reason i bought my skoda was reliability as all the local taxi drivers have one . but unfortunately i have the chassis number with the rogue oil pump design it is very expensive to replace my Superp has only done 78,000 miles i expected a lot more

All of the 1.9 and V6 diesels are OK as are all of the petrol engines (although the 1.8T will sludge up if lubrication is not optimal).

I strongly suspect the oil pump drive coupling has been modified on the later 2.0 PD engines as this problem now seems to have "gone quiet". Typically, VAG neither admit to the problem ever existing nor give any info as to the serial numbers of the affected engines - leaving owners of 2.0 PD engines with a high degree of uncertainty - or a big bill.

Should we be doing business with people like this?

rotodiesel.

i contacted Skoda about my oil pump problem its an 07 plate they quoted me around a grand for the replacement part plus of course labour costs on top my Superb has hardly done any  miles at all 78,000 they also said the part was updated in 2011 ? so how many engines have been affected by oil pump failure ,i suspect there are a lot more than  we know about im not knocking Skodas but this oil pump problem seems to have been kept quiet i maybe wrong

i contacted Skoda about my oil pump problem its an 07 plate they quoted me around a grand for the replacement part plus of course labour costs on top my Superb has hardly done any  miles at all 78,000 they also said the part was updated in 2011 ? so how many engines have been affected by oil pump failure ,i suspect there are a lot more than  we know about im not knocking Skodas but this oil pump problem seems to have been kept quiet i maybe wrong

i would ad also that not many Skos da owners visit this site only the savvy ones

skodas