Official Vehicle Jacking Points

Bodge

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

sneaking this one in in this topic as I guess it's related...

Read about the hockey-puck thing so ordered one, cut out a slot in the middle but still doesn't really feel ok...

I have the feeling that with the original jack, the real jacking point is just behind the sill-lip, not the sill itself if that makes any sense.

With the hockey-puck it feels like all the pressure is on the sill-lip.

pic:

20140326_160333.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So why shouldnt you jack on the front subframe? I've always used subframes/chassis rails over sills. As others have mentioned the ideal jacking spot is also the ideal axel stand spot and assuming we dont have Geoff Capes to hold the car up as we swap them over can we agree on an alternative point for jacking at the front?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

On the front jacking point is there room to jack, place an axle stand then lower the jack? Or should I jack and place axle stands in different locations? If the latter, I would assume it is safer to jack on the sill and place the stands under the frame?

• 3 weeks later...

Are you using the trolley jack under the subframe there where the main bolt is and then placing the stand on the main frame?

My sills are like butter and have been mostly squashed by tyre changes (not me).

Unless I can use the trolley jack under the main frame also. How much of the main frame is strong? Feels pretty feeble in some places.

Looks like the place is just before the visible join.

Is there also a small area just behind the sill rail that is reenforced? A slice of wood behind there so the trolley jack sits on the rail and is also supported behind by the wood like on the supplied jack.

Edited by Brit24

Are you using the trolley jack under the subframe there where the main bolt is and then placing the stand on the main frame?

My sills are like butter and have been mostly squashed by tyre changes (not me).

Unless I can use the trolley jack under the main frame also. How much of the main frame is strong? Feels pretty feeble in some places.

Looks like the place is just before the visible join.

Is there also a small area just behind the sill rail that is reenforced? A slice of wood behind there so the trolley jack sits on the rail and is also supported behind by the wood like on the supplied jack.

Yes, the main frame is only strong towards the front, there is nothing visually to mark where is strong and where isnt just keep as far forwards as possible and its okay, anything around the middle or rear section might cause it to give. I've now bought a polyurethene puck thingy that sits on the jack and aborbs some of the pressure so im back to using sills.

• 7 months later...

Towards the back there's a marker on the sill. The jacking point is at this point but behind the sill itself, you can feel it.see diagrams on page 1.. :p

Post #30?

Unfortunately post#1 is unavailable.

Also How can we jack it up and get a stand under it if there is only one point?

The main frame chassis must be an option from the picture above. The main attachment for the rear suspension arm is attached to this with the 4 bolts which takes a lot of abuse.

• 1 year later...

Lol after reading all that still doesnt explain how to jack the rear and then place a stand while its held up as only seems theres one spot to jack it up

am i being a noob or is this just like the chicken and the egg question

• 2 months later...

These are all the pictures I have saved.

http://imgur.com/a/qGsTA

I think the main point is to use the jack stands at the designated points. Jacking should be done (in the case of the front) just behind the designated points, and (in case of the rear) use the tyre change sill lip. I would say never use the sill lip for axle stands, especially if you are working under the vehicle.

• Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Every time I take my car in for puncture repair or tyre replacement I always ask for the car not to be lifted by the sills and so far so good. I had a BL Mini lifted by the floor pan on both sides and on a secondhand Ford Orion sills were flattened on both sides front and back. When I had a puncture the sill would not slot into the supplied jack so I bent the sill back causing more damage for it to fit the jack. Too many cowboys about!!