Fan only works on higher speeds?

ap0gee1978

I found if you put a small amount of grease along the fitment edge of the new resistor it will turn more easily and you'll get it to lock into position no problem

• 2 months later...

Another thumb up for this guide. 

Replaced mine yesterday.  As the guide says getting to the resistor is a PITA.

I found it easiest to extract with the wires attached  because I couldn't unclip the wiring connector.

It was easier to put it back in without the wires attached and then clip the connector on last.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the detailed write-up - I used this and http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/skoda-fabia-blower-motor-resistor.html to replace mine. I'd noticed intermittent operation on position 1 for several days (and the AC light coming on then going off after a few seconds) and thought it might be this problem. It finally gave up completely when being driven to the dealer for its annual service. I left it on "2" when dropping it off and they didn't spot the problem - so I didn't even ask them for a quote.

A few points on what's outlined above:

I've not got ready access to a TPS so resorted to eBay and finally decided to risk one offered at £7.56. It certainly looks virtually identical.

IMG_1154Small_zps01b24c60.jpg

IMG_1153Small_zps0fab17e4.jpg

The old one was showing signs of distress:

IMG_1155Small_zpsc4261e45.jpg

Put the passenger seat right back before you start (sounds obvious but you need all the space you can get).

I started off using a T20 driver for the bottom two glovebox screws, but it was too long for the top ones - so I resorted to a T20 bit in a 1/4" socket in a 1/4" ratchet.

IMG_1157Small_zps3962eb4b.jpg

When I dropped the glovebox I took it right out rather than leave it in the footway - you need the room to get in there.

The rubber hose is a right PITA getting in the way all the time - in the end I pushed it right in as far as I could get it to gain space. Here it is before pushed back - the resistor is behind the visible top of the tube:

IMG_1149Small_zps00841d91.jpg

IMG_1151Small_zps47227897.jpg

The old resistor didn't seem to be clipped in place - it just rotated readily when I pushed the top.

Getting the plug off before extracting the resistor proved impossible.

I decided to try putting the new resistor in first then putting the plug on - no way could I get the plug on once insitu - spent at least 15 minutes trying. I also despite having a bit more room to manoeuvre couldn't get the new one to clip into place either.

Finally realised that the only way was going to be clipping the wire back on - at which point I briefly tested it - then readily inserted the resistor into the housing which took all of 20 seconds!

I then tested it again, then popped the glovebox back on having extracted the rubber hose prior to so doing.

Stationary it now sounds a bit quieter on "1" than it did previously but it's definitely working now and the AC light stays on.

If the cheap replacement fails, at least I now know that I could probably do the whole replacement in about ten minutes (GB out 2 min, res out 2 min, res in 2 min, test 1 min, GB in 2 min, test 1 min). I wonder what the dealer standard time is...

I'd also just replaced the pollen filter (recommended since a blocked filter can cause the resistor to fail) which usefully the garage hadn't done at the service but rang me to ask whether I wanted it doing. They quoted £17 + £7 to fit (1/10 hour = 6 min) so I said no and sourced one from Euro Car Parts for £5.18 delivered. I've previously inspected pollen filters so knew I could replace it in 5 minutes...

• 4 months later...

Hi guys my name is Bryan and new to the forum

I've been reading this post and hope you can help me

The flaps that regulate hot/cold air are stuck. Also the a/c light dosnt work but as a quick fix I've closed the flaps so it's not bringing in cold air is this relevant to this topic can you guide me to fix the problem

How do you send picys if needed

Regards Bryan

I bought a cheap replacement part off eBay for like £8 and its lasted me 3 months.  Moral of the story, buy cheap buy twice.  Off to TPS in the morning for me as fan speed 3 is like a hurricane. 

• 3 months later...

On my mk2 ive managed to burn my pollen filter after replacing both filter and resistor? do i need to rotate the resistor 180 degrees just asking before i rip my airbag out again to have a look?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the very detailed instructions, once I have the part I will attempt a repair, as I also have only 2 fast speeds on my blower. A bit on the noisy side.

Just checking before I purchase the replacement resistor for my Fabia. I notice that you all seem to drive VRS models, I drive a standards X reg 1.4 16v. will the part you specify fit my car please?

Cheers,

Jo.

Hi,

Thanks for the very detailed instructions, once I have the part I will attempt a repair, as I also have only 2 fast speeds on my blower. A bit on the noisy side.

Just checking before I purchase the replacement resistor for my Fabia. I notice that you all seem to drive VRS models, I drive a standards X reg 1.4 16v. will the part you specify fit my car please?

Cheers,

Jo.

Yes, it will.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bit of a bumper, tonight my blower suddenly stopped working on ALL speeds. Have checked the fuse which is fine. Gave the motor a good whack which achieved nothing.

So I removed the resistor which looks in reasonable shape, certainly no obvious broken wires.

Am I right in saying the blower would work on speed 4 even if the resistor is goosed? If so I guess it's time for a new motor!

Ps this is great guide, was easy peasy to do.

Bit of a bumper, tonight my blower suddenly stopped working on ALL speeds. Have checked the fuse which is fine. Gave the motor a good whack which achieved nothing.

So I removed the resistor which looks in reasonable shape, certainly no obvious broken wires.

Am I right in saying the blower would work on speed 4 even if the resistor is goosed? If so I guess it's time for a new motor!

Yes, as long as the switch contacts are not burnt out, and the wiring is all OK. You could feed (use thick wire) 12V directly to the fan motor from the battery to rule out those things. Not sure if the brushes are replaceable on a Fabia fan motor, probably not worth the hassle compared to chucking in another from a breaker's yard or similar.

The resistor can go completely. So obviously it it the cheaper, easier of the two to change first. You can test the motor for resistance with a multimeter to be doubly sure.

The resistor can go completely. So obviously it it the cheaper, easier of the two to change first. You can test the motor for resistance with a multimeter to be doubly sure.

Yes, the resistor (N24, below) can 'go' completely, but even if you completely remove it, the fan should still work on switch position 4, as long as the switch contacts aren't burnt out, and the wiring is all intact. Look at the current flow diagram, there's a direct link between switch(E9) and fan (V2) when position 4 is chosen, just under where it says L13:

Cabin%20fan%20speed.png

Edited by Wino

Update: Got a new motor off of the Bay for a tenner, fitted it tonight and all is well again!

I did hardwire it as suggested before I bought it and it wouldn't run, so I was pretty convinced the motor had gone.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just posting to say thanks for the guide.

Fan speeds 1&2 packed up on mine the other week, got the part online for £20 and just fitted it.

The guilty party :

2016-05-08%2018.04.55.jpg

First thing that's failed on my car since it went out of warranty. She's 11 in a couple of weeks!

Edited by MagicBoy

Funny story... boshed the new fan motor in which sorted my issue (as noted above), a week or so later fan speed 1 stopped working!

Not fitted a new resistor yet out of stubbornness but I shall probably give in shortly, mainly as the A/C doesn't work unless the fan is running!

Edited by GoddersVRS

Unlucky! Did you change the pollen filter at any point during all this?

Poor flow due to a blocked filter could contribute to fan failure and resistor-pack burn-out I'd imagine.

• Like 1

Unlucky! Did you change the pollen filter at any point during all this?

Poor flow due to a blocked filter could contribute to fan failure and resistor-pack burn-out I'd imagine.

As could excessive current draw as a result of the previously knackered motor :)

• 3 months later...

I've got a 2012 1.2 SE and yes I need to change the blower resistor,unfortunately what I've seen on this site does not relate to how my car is configured. I can get the top glove box out but that's it I've got a Haynes manual and that say's that the whole dash has to come off,which is something I could do but obviously if there is an easier way I would take that route.So I'm asking for help its the first time I've posted anything so I'm hoping there's someone who can help me out.Its occurred to me that something that fails so often there's not an easier way to get to it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this guide :)
Mine went earlier this week, got a replacement and had it changed in 20 mins, like most say, the hardest part was getting the sod out, and putting it back into its "slot" for a tighter seal, but an easy job with no tools required :) (other than removing glove box)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the instructions, replaced on my Fabia resistor pack  (€17) in 20 minutes and even made a video.... 

I found that pushing the rubber aircon hose right back behind the resistor pack kept it out of the way while fiddling about in the small space.

• Like 1