Windows open inexplicably

I haved searched for information without much success. Twice now all windows have opened while I have been in the house. First time they opened totally, and the second half way. About 6 weeks in between events.

I know that the key fob button if held in will activate the windows but I find it difficult to imagine this happening accidentally, for instance with the key in your pocket.

I have seen mentioned in forums mention of a controller situated in the drivers door getting damp. I have also seen advice to do with Maxidot. Don't know if I have one of these. Car is a 1.9tdi 07 Octavia.

Can anyone clarify what is the likely cause please.

The wifes Focus did this last week early on moring when it was really cold and did it once before about 7 months ago.

Not been able to find a fault and it has been on the computer.

Also heard of a couple of BMWs locally done the same.

I was thinking could be due to the really cold weather we had overnight but not sure.

That's happened twice to me. Both times in the morning I've found the windows all the way down and the car locked. The first time I flicked the wipers to clear the windscreen before realising that all the water was inside. :doh:

Strange thing is, neither time did the car alarm go off overnight. It's never done it while I was far away from the car, such as the office car park, and I came to the conclusion that while crouching or bending down I had pressed the button on the key long enough to wind the windows down.

I had this problem on my motor some time ago. Parked the car and whilst indoors was doing a bit of D.I.Y with a lot of bending and stretching, etc. (I think you may have realised where I'm going with this). Suddenly heard the car alarm going off and when I investigated found that the windows wound down and some leaves had blown inside obviously setting off the alarm.

Tried to figure out the cause and then realised the keys were in my trouser pocket and the button must have pressed whilst bending. I used the Maxi-Dot to switch off this feature as I don't use it anyway and no problem since.

Mac

My old Mk1 vRS had this problem and it was caused by water in the wiring loom of the drivers door. It was easy to spot in the Mk1 as the central locking would stop working on the drivers door and the deadlocks would not arm. I once had all of the windows open by themselves while driving home one night, very annoying but handy that it chose to do that while I was in the car.

Usual cause is sitting on the key,

You accidently press the unlock button, which if held in will open the windows. Then because no doors are opened they lock themselves, so you return to your car and find it locked with windows open. If you have maxidot you can disable the window open/close on continuous press of the keyfob using the menus.

Usual cause is sitting on the key,

You accidently press the unlock button, which if held in will open the windows. Then because no doors are opened they lock themselves, so you return to your car and find it locked with windows open. If you have maxidot you can disable the window open/close on continuous press of the keyfob using the menus.

Now this makes a lot of sense. I had wondered why the doors were found to be locked. I am still puzzled as to why the first time this occurred the windows were fully open and the next half opened.

Would I have Maxidot on a 07 plate Ambiente? What does it look like?

The amount the windows open depends on how long the button was pressed for.

I wouldnt think you have maxidot on an ambiente, but even if you dont a dealer can turn this function off.

The reason the alarm wont go off is when you unlock the car and the windows drop the car relocks if a door isnt opened but the alarm does not set.

A couple of options, your dealer can extend the time it takes to hold the button before the windows open up to six seconds(2 is factory setting) or the function can be turned off.

One thing you could do is if you know someone with vagcom get them to code the "global opening" out and see if it stops, weve had a few in where the customer has reported all the windows going down on there own, We simply code this out and usualy it works. it then means when you press and keep pressed your key fob the windows wont go down or up though, as far as i am aware there is no perm fix for this as yet but i could be wrong but i do know its not un-heard of with skoda. At the end of the day what have you got to loose cos if it isnt a fault with the "global opening" you can always recode it back in.

One thing you could do is if you know someone with vagcom get them to code the "global opening" out and see if it stops, weve had a few in where the customer has reported all the windows going down on there own, We simply code this out and usualy it works. it then means when you press and keep pressed your key fob the windows wont go down or up though, as far as i am aware there is no perm fix for this as yet but i could be wrong but i do know its not un-heard of with skoda. At the end of the day what have you got to loose cos if it isnt a fault with the "global opening" you can always recode it back in.

Well I thought I had to press the button in for six seconds but it is only two making it more likely to be accidental pressing while the key is in my pocket.

How much do dealers charge to change the coding? Can't see much use for the function in this country with it's cooler climate.

Well I thought I had to press the button in for six seconds but it is only two making it more likely to be accidental pressing while the key is in my pocket.

How much do dealers charge to change the coding? Can't see much use for the function in this country with it's cooler climate.

The job itsealf only takes 10 mins, its only a matter of changing the coding. If your car is under warranty it shouldnt cost you anything if you tell them that the windows are going down themselves even if you dont touch the keyfob. (well we dont charge anyway) but like i said get someone with vagcom to do it if your dealers wont help. We had one recently where the customer said his windows were going down themselves and we bought it in the workshop the night before and locked it up and put the keys on the roof and guess what the next morning the windows were down so we coded the global out and the customer hasnt had this fault reappear.

The job itsealf only takes 10 mins, its only a matter of changing the coding. If your car is under warranty it shouldnt cost you anything if you tell them that the windows are going down themselves even if you dont touch the keyfob. (well we dont charge anyway) but like i said get someone with vagcom to do it if your dealers wont help. We had one recently where the customer said his windows were going down themselves and we bought it in the workshop the night before and locked it up and put the keys on the roof and guess what the next morning the windows were down so we coded the global out and the customer hasnt had this fault reappear.

In view of what you said about the problem occuring with the keys on the rooof I think it's better not to wait to see if it happens again.

Will look into changing the coding. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have just had all my windows open at around 70mph on a motorway in dry weather. took a few atempts before I got them to close. Have contacted dealer and now awaiting a reply.

I have just had all my windows open at around 70mph on a motorway in dry weather. took a few atempts before I got them to close. Have contacted dealer and now awaiting a reply.

Happened to me today on my month old VRS cr dsg and last week. Got to the car park at work and all 4 windows partly open. Big worry, as could it happen anywhere and if car gets broken into who pays?

Also having intermittant problem with radio display. Twice activated front / rear parking sensors and got blank screen, since last week. Then changed heater temperature settings and no display

What next. Not what I expected. Will have to set maxidot and see what happens / book it into supplying dealer which is 70 miles away .

Edited by teebee

• 1 year later...

I am having the same issue today . Radio light flickering and front passenger window opening along with rear near side window opening on there own . They will not shut from drivers door only from the door control themselves . The windows also start going down with no ignition turned on etc . What do i need to do to fix this issues myself . As cannot afford a dealer to sort or is this the only option ???

Would appreciate any advice to help me out.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have a  solution, a bit late maybe, for an Octavia 1,2TSi model 2015. Open Setup followed by Opening <> Closing and Windows (in)Convenience OFF. I hope the nitwit at Skoda who conceived this idea realises that while the closing feature is Convenient, the full scale opening bit is a VERY bad idea indeed as renders any form of security more than a little useless. Also; hiding the route to being able to disable/enable the feature is a fault in the owners manual.