When were 2.0 tdi oil pump problems fixed?

Hi guys,

does anyone know if the oil pump problems have ever been resolved by VW on the 2.0 TDi engine? I read on the internet that Audi drivers claim that they have information from Audi HQ that their issues with the oil pumps on the transverse 2.0 tdi installations were resolved late 2005 or early 2006 MY. Does anyone know if the MK1 Superb has ever been gifted with a good series of longitudinal 2.0 tdi engines, or are they all to be avoided in favour of the 1.9 tdi as its nearest "equivalent" in terms of performance and economy? And is there any reason to believe that MK2 Superb 2.0 tdi engine is any better? Thing is I am thinking about changing up to a MK2 Superb in a couple of years' time once my current MK1 2.5 tdi has had some more use, and the engine choices are a bit daunting: there is the 105 PS tdi which frankly just isn't enough for me in such a big car, but obviously chipping it is one option, if the turbo will take it. Furthermore, there is the 2.0 tdi which gives reasonable performance, but I have concerns over reliability, and I think they all have a DPF too (or do they?). Petrols are just as grim, there is the 1.4 tsi which looks on paper OK, but in practice the low torque figure will just mean it will need revving to get it going and that is likely to kill the fuel economy that the engine offers on paper, plus frustrating and noisy. Then there is the 1.8 tsi which is probably OK, and those engines take chiptuning quite happily too, but even without any the 160 PS seems adequate and is actually more economical on paper than my current 2.5 tdi! Then there is the V6, but oh so thirsty.

So really it would only be a choice between the 2.0 tdi and the 1.8 tsi. My preference would be 2.0 as around 70-80% of my fuel burn is in Europe where the fuel price is still a big differentiator, and diesel being cheaper (and the pound being so weak), TDi is the obvious choice.... But then I come back to the dreaded oil pump....

It's looking pretty obvious that VAG were aware early on that they had c o c k e d up the oil pump drive on the 2.0 PDs and made a conscious decision not to fit them to the high profit transverse models such as the Golf/Octavia. Audi would be covered by dealer support in line with a premium product (as long as you had paid for it twice over in servicing) and Skoda customers with the Mk I Superb could just take a running jump - as we have seen.

It's very unlikely that this problem would be carried over to the CR engines - even VAG would find it hard to do that - although I believe the CR engines have their own can of worms in terms of HP fuel pump destruction and dubious piezo injectors.

In the literature supplied with my car, it states that your Skoda dealer is there to supply you with any information you may require relating to the running of your car. Why don't you ask them which are the dud 2.0 PD engines - by engine number?

Best of luck.

rotodiesel.

It's looking pretty obvious that VAG were aware early on that they had c o c k e d up the oil pump drive on the 2.0 PDs and made a conscious decision not to fit them to the high profit transverse models such as the Golf/Octavia. Audi would be covered by dealer support in line with a premium product (as long as you had paid for it twice over in servicing) and Skoda customers with the Mk I Superb could just take a running jump - as we have seen.

It's very unlikely that this problem would be carried over to the CR engines - even VAG would find it hard to do that - although I believe the CR engines have their own can of worms in terms of HP fuel pump destruction and dubious piezo injectors.

In the literature supplied with my car, it states that your Skoda dealer is there to supply you with any information you may require relating to the running of your car. Why don't you ask them which are the dud 2.0 PD engines - by engine number?

Best of luck.

rotodiesel.

Siemmens piezo's are in the VW 2.0 PD, and they fail, Bosch seem to be ok, the whole issue ia a bone of contention, I feel if everyone whose had the pump fail, or inj fail got together and issued VAG with a summons there is a good chance they would win in court, as the engines are clearly not fit for purpose, and as this problem is only 5 yrs old, even if ppl have paid for repairs there is still a good chance in court to get refunded.

Don't mix up the two engines - PD engines don't have a high pressure pump as a separate item.

The early PD engines were fitted with solenoid controlled injectors which were reliable. In order to improve emissions performance, they were changed to piezo controlled injectors, I think around '05. 2.0 PD engines are likely to have piezo controlled injectors as an addition to their other desirable features. I have only ever seen Bosch injectors of either type fitted to PD engines.

CR engines have a separate engine driven high pressure pump. All injectors in these engines are piezo controlled. There is gathering evidence that the pumps are less reliable than the unit injector system fitted to the PDs and that the piezo injectors are also failure prone. Not a good combination if you are running one out of warranty. My experience also indicates that the Siemens electronics are also rather more failure prone than the earlier Bosch units.

Probably the VAG bean counter department in operation again - remember the LuK tandem pumps?

rotodiesel.

The trouble is supurbia, is that suk simply will not budge over the 3yr/60,000 mile warranty....so if the car has done like mine for example 38k over the 3yrs they dont give a toss....even if it done 15k miles and over the 3yr warranty they will not budge, and no matter how you word it to them, like i'll see you in court, they will actually gladly accept the offer, and basically rubbish the claim for repairs to be done.....simply because the car has gone beyond the terms of the warranty.

The only way to get round the problem is to purchase an extended warranty...and hope so god something very expensive does go wrong and then one can make a legitimate claim without all the bull***t they come out with...ive learned the hard way, and others have too...its a pity there is no organization that actually has the power to make these manufacturers repair their cars and acknoledge that the customer is not expected to be ripped off with engines that have a fault, that the manufacturer knows about, and decides to do nothing....they should be bought to book !! And publicy shamed !!

Best of luck.

rotodiesel.

So are all MK2 Superbs CR? Many on autotrader are labelled 2.0 PD, but I think many people do not really understand the difference between common rail and pump-duse. Or is it just the 170 PS which is common rail?

I believe that part of the problem is the poor concentricity of the drive with reference to the bearing surface on the balancer shaft. This is a poor design that is poorly implemented.

They seemed to have got better at implementing the bodge as time went on, so failure rates have reduced, but not eliminated.

One owner, who works for a high tech engineering company, told me that the centre of the drive was almost a tenth of a mm off centre with reference to the bearing surfaces! He produced is own fix and that Superb has done 140k miles since.

As for Audi vs Skoda...

One local business owner had 3 out of 5 company cars (Audi) die with oil pump failure. His wife's Superb also had an oil pump failure. On all three occasions, Audi told him they hadn't seen the problem before. He says the only diiference between Audi and Skoda was that "Audi gave him a cup of coffee before they told him the same lie".

I still think VW,Skoda and Audi user's need to get together and issue a lawsuit on behalf of all of them, this company needs taking to book over this, nevermind them blagging you off in the showroom, it's VAG that needs exposing not the dealer, I think the dealer would gladly fix the car, but as VAG won't pay them they can't, think about it ppl, I know a Passat owner who is actively on to watchdog about the VW experience.

Life's too short. You either do your research and avoid the absolute lemons that this Company produces or put right the remaining c o c k ups they keep making as you find them. I've done the latter - thanks to the Internet.

I resent the amount of time I've spent on my Superb sealing pollen filter housings, removing plenum bungs and greasing suspension bolts etc. It's all done now and I'll keep it for a while because it's well made, potentially long lasting and does its job very well.

Not again though - VAG have shown no signs whatsoever of acting in my interests and I do not find them to be honest and straightforward people to do business with.

Imagine how I'd feel if I had bought a 2.0 PD Superb (failed oil pump) with a blocked DPF and a failed ESP unit (although the Teves Mk 60 was never actually fitted to the Superb). Add to that blocked pollen filter housing drains, a soaked interior and damage to the CCM electronics, transmission control (if auto) and the wiring and connectors. That combination could write off your purchase after 3 years with no redress from VAG.

Other than the ESP unit failure which applies to the transverse models, this lot could actually all happen to a late diesel Superb.

Consumer protection legislation in the UK is no match for VAG - so VAG get themselves off the hook even when safety issues arise - as with blocked plenum drains. The Americans do it far better.

Vote with your cheque book - it's the only language these people understand.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

Maybe its about time we follow the american way.....after all they seem to get the manufacturers by the nuts when issues arise, and its about time we shud do the same....and maybe if watchdog does listen to consumer affairs, then maybe they can put a few awkward questions to the head of vw and on behalf of the group of companies that vw own and get something done about it...because they have got away with it for foar too long now and the cost to their customers is mounting up.

What were hearing over here in the uk and uk spec cars dropping dead like flies with oil pump problems is only the tip of the ice berg , and i'm quite sure the same problem is happening around the world as well....so its about time that the seemingly bullet proof legal side of things should take a turn for the better on the side of the consumer, and if one thinks about it, the number of cars vw produced throughout the vw range for the year 2005-2007, then that is a lot of cars with impending faults, and if thats not a recall problem then i dont know what the hell is !!....i'm going to fire off a message to watchdog and see what they say.....might be fruitless, but one wont know till they try, and if they get a few complaints concerning the same problem, then they might just do something about it.

So are all MK2 Superbs CR? Many on autotrader are labelled 2.0 PD, but I think many people do not really understand the difference between common rail and pump-duse. Or is it just the 170 PS which is common rail?

Nope, my superb2 is a PD engine. The CR engine was only used in the 170BHP version until very recently, until a few months ago. Before that all the Diesels with the exception of the 170 were PD.

Nope, my superb2 is a PD engine. The CR engine was only used in the 170BHP version until very recently, until a few months ago. Before that all the Diesels with the exception of the 170 were PD.

Do the CR engines have a different oil pump drive system which is more reliable?

• 1 month later...

Hi, first time on here and already very useful!

I have a 2007 SEAT Alhambra 2.0 PDI and was going to buy the same engine in a 2nd hand Superb for work.

I have now seen all the posts ref the oil pump. Oh dear.

So now looking at a 2004 - 2006 1.9 diesel instead.

Questions is, will my SEAT be prone to the same oil pump issue?

Thanks in advance.

And based on the previous frank and honest posts on other threads I fully expect a one word 'Yes' answer. :S

I would imagine the Alhambra will have a transverse layout and hence should not suffer from the oil pump issue. However, I would await someone else who knows for certain to tell you the layout before you let yourself off the hook! :S

He said no without being 100% sure.

PM rotodiesel, he knows everything and can give you a yes or no.

Which reminds me i need the lottery numbers for the next drawing... roto where are you?

• 4 months later...

Did anyone ever get an answer to this question? Does the Alhambra have transverse mountings whatever they are and therefore isn't affected by this? (I take it the Skodas in question had longitudinal?)

About to buy an Alhambra and hav gone looked at Honest John's website which has led to more Googling and led me here...not not so sure spending 14 grand on a car which might go pop is such a good idea....

Trans or long makes no difference, if it's the same lump it's the same faulty lump, a 1.9 is a safe bet, if you must have a 2.0 then make sure it's not any earlier than a 57 plate.

I nearly went for a Passat a few days ago with a CR engine, then googled it a bit, seems they still block the DPF up, and if Roto is correct with the injector's still being weak, I chose not to go after it, I'll see the next two years out on the current Passat I have and then I think it's an Insignia for me, I know a VX like any car can go wrong, but I owned an a lot of reliable VX car's over the years, and the real reason I shall go back is because VAG is plain nasty to deal with, where as I know VX will sort my car out if need be without the VAG denial, that or a petrol Avensis, by then there should be enough info on the CVT they use as to whether to chance it or not,

Yeah quite fancy the vauxhall insignia 160 ps diesel next time...think it's time to take my business elsewhere when present motability car lease expires.

What happened after the 57 plates? The one I am looking at is an 08 plate.

Modded pump, you can actually get 07's that are ok, it's all down to chassis number's, but VAG aren't forthcomming about releasing the data, if it's a B6 Passat, avoid any chassis number below 60000 iirc, these are the likely to die BKP and BMR engines.

Just buy a 1.9 or a 2.5, I don't see any sense in taking the risk. It's not like they're rare or anything.

They are fairly rare with low mileage, I am getting an 08 Alhambra with 10K on the clock. I have got them to throw in 3 years warranty too so should be okay.