Auxiliary heating

Foz

Ok, I've read about auxiliary heating in the manual, but when scrolling through my MFD the option for Aux Heating isnt there.

Is this an optional extra as such or should I have this standard?

p.s - I've got a 2007 Octavia II vRS.

On my VAG car, Auxiliary heating is an electric heater that helps give you a bit of warm air while the car is warming up. I think it only works at temperature around 5 degrees and below. You don't get a button or a tell tale light to tip you the wink that is doining anything, but you should feel warm air pretty quickly on a very cold day if you have one. There is a Supplementary heater that is an option in colder countries and I think that is like a Webasto or Eberspracher (sp?) type of thingie

On my VAG car, Auxiliary heating is an electric heater that helps give you a bit of warm air while the car is warming up. I think it only works at temperature around 5 degrees and below. You don't get a button or a tell tale light to tip you the wink that is doining anything, but you should feel warm air pretty quickly on a very cold day if you have one. There is a Supplementary heater that is an option in colder countries and I think that is like a Webasto or Eberspracher (sp?) type of thingie

Diesel Cars will have an Auxiliary Heater which is electrical and helps warm the interior quickly as diesels take a while to warm up.

The Auxiliary heating relates to a webasto heater which use fuel from the fuel tank and runs before you get in the car. Its purpose is to warm the cabin and warm the engine

Diesel Cars will have an Auxiliary Heater which is electrical and helps warm the interior quickly as diesels take a while to warm up.

The Auxiliary heating relates to a webasto heater which use fuel from the fuel tank and runs before you get in the car. Its purpose is to warm the cabin and warm the engine

Thats my point. The OP has a diesel car, so if diesels have an aux heater then he has an aux heater? On Audis the Webasto/Eberspracher heater is called a supplementary heater.

Its an auxiliary heater that uses the car's fuel to allow the car to start off "warmed-up" so that it defrosts much quicker and has a more comfortable cabin temperature. As we have fairly moderate winters in the UK presumably there's little demand.

They fit them in other Skoda markets and you can retrofit one I'm sure:

http://www.parkingheater.co.uk/products/parking-heater/compact-car.html

They seem to have UK dealers too....

Edited by juan27

I thought the MkV Golf diesel had the Aux heater (electrical type) as standard and if so, does that mean that Skoda take it out for their cars? Seems a bit of a shame and must be VWs way of keeping their car a little bit more 'special' (and expensive). As I said earlier, my Audi has the Aux heater as standard (the electrical type) but they don't offer the supplementary heater (as they call it) as an option over here :( I love a toastie car on a cold morning :)

Thats my point. The OP has a diesel car, so if diesels have an aux heater then he has an aux heater? On Audis the Webasto/Eberspracher heater is called a supplementary heater.

Sorry but that is incorrect

Auxiliary heating that the OP refers to the Webasto

in the CAN-Gateway that would be Address 18

The other Auxiliary heater is Electrical and that is Address 7D

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Golf5.html

Auxiliary heating that the OP refers to the Webasto

The other Auxiliary heater is Electrical and that is Address 7D

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Golf5.html

So you are saying there are 2 different systems both called 'Auxiliary heaters' ?

I do know what the difference between the 2 types of system are as I have one of them and have come across the other in various forms. Me saying 'thats my point' referred to you talking about the electrical heater which I had already mentioned earlier.

So you are saying there are 2 different systems both called 'Auxiliary heaters' ?

The manual only refers to the ,optional, separately fuelled heater. This can be programmed to run on a time clock when the engine is not running.

There may be an electrical heater in the cooling system to speed up the warm up time when the engine is running only. My old Passat was alleged to have this, not sure about my current car. The heater warm up time is not very different in the Skoda.

The manual only refers to the ,optional, separately fuelled heater. This can be programmed to run on a time clock when the engine is not running.

There may be an electrical heater in the cooling system to speed up the warm up time when the engine is running only. My old Passat was alleged to have this, not sure about my current car. The heater warm up time is not very different in the Skoda.

When I first read about the heater in my A4, it was a little confusing at first, as to which heater was which. it wasn't easy to tell if Supplementary or Auxiliary, referred to the electrical hear.

My previous car (123D) had a couple of clever tricks to help warm up. It had a blind that closed over the radiator until the engine was fully warmed up and also even though it was a diesel, it was an all alloy engine, so it warmed up surprising quickly. I don’t think it had an Aux heater, but it could blow warm air within the first mile on a day of freezing conditions. BMW didn’t trust me with a water temp gauge, so I don’t know how quickly the car actually warmed up though emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Edited by Lady Elanore

Hello there

the aux heater system is an optional extra in Norway and its quite expensive.

its basicaly an extra little diesel engine next to the main engine. its probally 40X20X40 cm big.

it works in three different ways and price classes if you get it original and installed with a new car.

the cheapest option is conected with the maxi dot , called auxilary heater and you can set up to three diferent pre set times (of course you can change the times) you can also set the time for how long you want it to stay on for, (up to 1 hour)

it then starts up the little engine, using diesel from the main tank , heating the coolant fluids. it also starts the cars own interiour fan system that blows hot air inside the car for the time you set the timer for.

which means when you start the car its allready hot inside and the motor is kind of varm as well. NICE!!

the second system is the same as above but you get an additional remote control so you can start the aux heating from inside your house up to an hour before you plan to use your car. they say the remote works from as far as 600 meters away from the car.

the most expensive system is you get the same as the two above pluss its conected through a sim card in the car. that means you can call or send a msg from your mobile phone and start the aux heating or set up the timer.

i have the first one and its a life saver. no more scraping of ice from the windscreen. actually all the windows are ice free and almost dry after one hour :rofl:

the only drawback is the price aprox 880 pounds!! so i doubt it comes as standard in any car to be honest

the electrical heater you are mention ive never heard about

heres a link if you want to read about it

webasto uk

by the way its -25 celsius here at the moment, so its a must have :rofl:

Edited by kongvidar

I had a pleasant surprise today. Driving the car from cold in about 7 degrees outside temp, I noticed the car was putting warm air out of it’s window clearing vents within the first mile! Very nice, if a little feeble at first. Not sure how the car does it as it has a big heavy engine to heat and the Aux heater isn’t supposed to come on till the temp drops below 5 degrees.

I had a pleasant surprise today. Driving the car from cold in about 7 degrees outside temp, I noticed the car was putting warm air out of it’s window clearing vents within the first mile! Very nice, if a little feeble at first. Not sure how the car does it as it has a big heavy engine to heat and the Aux heater isn’t supposed to come on till the temp drops below 5 degrees.

I would say that you have the electric version, you would know if you have the other as there would be a section in the Trip computer and you would have a remote for it too.

I would say that you have the electric version, you would know if you have the other as there would be a section in the Trip computer and you would have a remote for it too.

Thanks Eddie. But I already know what I have (see my earlier posts), I was more surprised about the cars speed in warming up in cold weather today. I can't be bother to dig my manual out, but I think I read the Aux heater (electric)comes on at 5 degrees and lower. So the warmth I felt today shouldn't have come from the Aux heater at first and the water temp was cold for some time (I guess it's because I have a 3.0 diesel to warm up). Perhaps there is a different temp sensor for the Aux heater? Anyhoo thanks for the thought :)

I thought the MkV Golf diesel had the Aux heater (electrical type) as standard and if so, does that mean that Skoda take it out for their cars? Seems a bit of a shame and must be VWs way of keeping their car a little bit more 'special' (and expensive). As I said earlier, my Audi has the Aux heater as standard (the electrical type) but they don't offer the supplementary heater (as they call it) as an option over here :( I love a toastie car on a cold morning :)

According to Kev @ Jabbasport ... "The Mk4 golfs, leons etc with climate i believe have a bank of 3 glow plugs in a water housing leading to the water matrix to warm up the cold water coming to the heater. I had thought about ordering all the necessary parts to "retro fit" this to the fabia to at least get the air in the cabin warm.. Always have a pair of gloves in the car these days as it seems to be my hands that get cold the most.."

Not really answering a question, but I don't know if it's of interest at all..?

Wow, cheers everyone for the replies - after posting this I had a few internet problems so havent been able to check the thread properly (just in case anyone thought I was just an ignorant so and so!).

Everything everyone has said answers my question, so thanks.

p.s - I love starting a little debate emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

According to Kev @ Jabbasport ... "The Mk4 golfs, leons etc with climate i believe have a bank of 3 glow plugs in a water housing leading to the water matrix to warm up the cold water coming to the heater. I had thought about ordering all the necessary parts to "retro fit" this to the fabia to at least get the air in the cabin warm.. Always have a pair of gloves in the car these days as it seems to be my hands that get cold the most.."

I am just tyring to think if my MkIV Golf GT TDi heated up it's air quickly or not. I can't remember there being an issue, so perhaps it did :):thumbup:

What you have described here was fitted to quite a few diesels before the widespread use of PTC heaters.

Stewart.

Edited by StewartM

Thought I'd post as I've been doing some research into this.

If you want to retrofit the auxiliary heating it is possible, but pricey. Basically you need a Webasto Thermo Top E heater with a choice of remotes.

These are:

- 60 Minute timer £752.47 + vat

- T91 Remote blip £938.02 + vat*

- HTM100 Programmable remote £998.88 + vat*

*allows operation up to 1/4 mile away from vehicle. Prices are for the complete kit. Kits includes IPCU Relay to allow vehicles heater fan to operate.

- Carriage Cost £10 + vat

- Installation labour £585 + vat, 2 days labour

Information from Philip from CCL Vehvac. They can fit the heating system for £585 + vat. He also has loan cars available for use during the installation period if required.

Hope this is of some use to someone. It's a feature I'd absolutely love to have because my car is barely warm by the time I get to work, but unfortunately it's just a bit too expensive for me.

The only time I regularly used to come into contact with Webasto/Eberspracher types heaters was at work with some of the older Radio recording vehicles. I do remember that the only downside was the strong smell of paraffin. Not sure if modern car systems smell a bit too. Anyone got one?