Auxiliary heating

Foz

The only time I regularly used to come into contact with Webasto/Eberspracher types heaters was at work with some of the older Radio recording vehicles. I do remember that the only downside was the strong smell of paraffin. Not sure if modern car systems smell a bit too. Anyone got one?

I have an Eberspacher 5kW model installed into my FL Combi Octavia 1.8TSI DSG MY2010. It's been now a month after installation and could not be happier about it! Usually some 20-30minutes of heating time is enough if the outside temp is not absolutely freezing cold.. I have also the radio controller R+ which operates 1km away so it is very handy to start the thing from breakfast table and jump into warm car briefly afterwards. Only downside is the cost of the installation which was 1600euros for whole set but life is.. :)

Not any bad smells coming from the heater which is installed inside the front bumper, in front of left tire (on LHD models, UK models have an windscreen fluid reservoir there and therefore installation is inside drivers side bumper)

Most of my Canadian friends have a remote controlled heater in their cars. I was really impressed when they told me. Mind you, they really need it!

• 4 months later...

What is it?

My previous car was a Rover 75 Diesel and I paid for the "parking heater" option on it when I bought it from new. It was a catalytic heater that used the diesel fuel to pre-heat the engine and cabin.

It was great to get in the car on a frosty morning and not have to scrape the windows. Even better was coming back to a warm car after watching a winter football match.

I was disappointed not to be able to specify the same thing for my new Superb.

JLP

The other morning I was behind an oldish Seat Alhambra TDi which was belching clouds of thick black diesel smoke. I was wondering what on earth could be wrong with a TDi to make it smoke so badly when I realised the smoke wasn't actually coming from the exhaust at all but somewhere under the mid/rear of the car.

I can only assume it was some sort of auxiliary heater in its death throes? Either that or the car was on fire !

I have been mislead when I was ordering my Superb, and didn't order electric heater. I had option for Webasto heating 1000 EUR and electric heating 150 EUR. When I asked about second option dealers explained to me that it was just for heating of diesel motors during extra cold temperatures.

But now after reading little bit more, I have realized it is cheap alternative for Webasto heating, it can't be programmed and it works automatically whenever needed without any control. Now I am curious can this be installed as aftermarket option?

I have big problem during winter, because I am doing very small trips, and engine almost never get warmed enough.