Possible leaking driveshaft seal?

Evening all...

I noticed on Friday after doing my dogbone that it was covered in oil along with the surrounding area. It seems to be coming from the passenger side driveshaft seal to the gearbox... Is this common? If so does anyone know how much roughly I am looking at to replace?

Cheers again

tarmacsurfer

replaced mine when i did the clutch as mine where weaping

passenger one is about £3 and the other about £13.00 because it comes in a housing,

easy enough to change,and can be done with the box still in situ.

Once the shaft is unbolted from the joint there is a splined bolt in the middle of the box flange. undo that bolt and pull the flange out.

pull the old seal out and then tap the new seal in carefully so not to damage it.

bolt the flang back in and then the shaft back onto the flange.

don't forget to top the gear oil up when done.

the drivers side is a bit more fiddly but essentially the same proceedure.

when the drivers side one leaks it sprays oil onto the turbo which isn't nice!!!

replaced mine when i did the clutch as mine where weaping

passenger one is about £3 and the other about £13.00 because it comes in a housing,

easy enough to change,and can be done with the box still in situ.

Once the shaft is unbolted from the joint there is a splined bolt in the middle of the box flange. undo that bolt and pull the flange out.

pull the old seal out and then tap the new seal in carefully so not to damage it.

bolt the flang back in and then the shaft back onto the flange.

don't forget to top the gear oil up when done.

the drivers side is a bit more fiddly but essentially the same proceedure.

when the drivers side one leaks it sprays oil onto the turbo which isn't nice!!!

Wow you make this sound easy! ;-) Is there any special tools I need, like ones to remove the spline bolt?? Cheers again!

• 2 weeks later...

just seen this reply, yes car will need to have the wheels off the floor to allow you to rotate them, you will need to jack the wheel up when your doing the drivers side to allow the shaft to sit higher to get the joint out. a univerasl multi spline kit will be best so you have all the different types of splines needed to do the job.

just seen this reply, yes car will need to have the wheels off the floor to allow you to rotate them, you will need to jack the wheel up when your doing the drivers side to allow the shaft to sit higher to get the joint out. a univerasl multi spline kit will be best so you have all the different types of splines needed to do the job.

Cool, as I suspected. Cheers Furry

• 3 weeks later...

Ok just been to Skoda and they don't seem sure on the part....I have been told it is 02J409189A and it was £2.74 with the VAT. Does this sound right?? ETKA shows it as part 11 on illustration 409-25 for my model OCT 2003 MG(4) SG (09)

Cheers guys

• 4 years later...