That pesky DPF (again)

roguebrit

I spotted this leaflet at the dealers on Monday & quickly realised that this is useful information for those new to CR engines with DPF's.

As stated previously similar info is in the manual, & i suspect the leaflet has been produced for those that cant / dont want to RTFM. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif.

I personally think this is a good idea, as it would have been useful to have some info up front, so I wouldnt have called out the breakdown to trailer my Fiat 500 home one Sunday when the DPF finished & the engine light came on, only to find when I got to the manaul at home that I could have driven the car home but economy would have been worse than normal.

On talking to the garage about a manual re gen, they told me to drive it to them, & I got the car back within 30 mins of arrival , regen complete.

• 8 months later...

I've got a Octy vRS CR and it's done its first orange light led regen at 29k. I drove according to the manual - 60 kph (40mph ish) and between 2k and 2.5k for around 30 minutes and the light went out. No drama. I do around 12-15k a year using the car for work but it's only 12 mile round trip to the fun factory so maybe I've got off lightly....?

BTW, doing 40mph with the car in sportmode and the engine sounding as though it doesn't really like it, I thought this can't be doing it any good but the light cleared.

And then it came back today along with the exhaust pressure sensor light....here we go again... :doh:

Edited by Paul007

I have experience of DPF, I have owned an Audi a4 for the last three years and now have a Yeti 170 CR.

You state above waiting for the DPF warning light to come on before driving at set speed/rpm.

My Audi used to increase the RPM to nearly 1,000 on tick over when it was in regen and the electric fan would be on when the engine was turned off in addition to this the throttle response would be more sensitive, the Audi did it's first regen at 17,000 miles, I drove at 70 on the motorway in 4th gear and all was well after 5 to 7 minutes.

Now my Yeti, is three weeks old, travelled 3200 miles and has already done this increased revs scenario like the Audi did, no drama just a small regen/clear out of the DPF.

So my advice is keep an eye on your rev counter for early signs of regeneration, if you continually drive around without doing the full regen cycle then this will lead to the light coming on, if this is the case you can sit in the car without moving and hold the revs at mid range for 5 minutes as this can work also.

Finally the Audi has covered 120,000 miles in three years, by using ultimate diesel or similar regeneration of the DPF happened less frequently and improved mpg was observed. Audi also stated that nothing on the DPF is covered under warranty except the sensors IF they are faulty!

Since I'm am a soon to be yeti owner (early October) I picked up the DPF leaflet and tried driving my current car (SEAT Ibiza 130Bhp Tdi as if in regen mode trying to follow the 10-15 mins at min 40mph no less than 2000 rpm. In 5th out of 6 gears I was doing 80mph on a busy M5 at 2000rpm. Now I'm not sure of the gearing on the 110BHP Yeti but what's the chance of a speeding ticket? Cant think the police would wear a "I was regenerating my DPF officer"

Can anyone give me an idea of the gearing. Ranting down the M5 in 3rd doesn't sound like a great idea and we've too many 30 speed limits round here to do a better job on an A road.

Cheers

Gillian

Don't worry about it is my advice unless the light comes on which is probably unlikely unless you are doing a lot of short journeys. My experience is that it seems to sort itself out. I've noticed a few times the car has done a regen with no change of driving style from me and no warning light. I hope it continues to be the case.

My experience with DPF came within a few days of owning the car. It fired off the regeneration program, probably as part of an initial testing of the software. It has regenerated about four times in the life of the car and, I guess, is part of a mileage related sequence rather than a serious blocking of the filter.

My question is why buy a diesel Yeti for town work? Recently I have had cause to roam the Manchester roads with all its traffic problems and the Yeti is no advantage in these conditions. If I was (heaven forbid) to return to the urban sprawl, I woukd swap the Yeti for a petrol Octavia ASAP.

As it is, the Yeti is perfect for the muddy lanes around here and for the runs back to the big smoke via the moors above Bala and Llandegla and is just the car for these trips. ("Horses for courses")

Edited by Terfyn

Since I'm am a soon to be yeti owner (early October) I picked up the DPF leaflet and tried driving my current car (SEAT Ibiza 130Bhp Tdi as if in regen mode trying to follow the 10-15 mins at min 40mph no less than 2000 rpm. In 5th out of 6 gears I was doing 80mph on a busy M5 at 2000rpm. Now I'm not sure of the gearing on the 110BHP Yeti but what's the chance of a speeding ticket? Cant think the police would wear a "I was regenerating my DPF officer"

Can anyone give me an idea of the gearing. Ranting down the M5 in 3rd doesn't sound like a great idea and we've too many 30 speed limits round here to do a better job on an A road.

Cheers

Gillian

Don't worry about the revs.The diesel Yeti does a genuine 70mph at around 2200rpm.in 6th gear

No problems at all with my DPF in 10,000 miles.:yes:

Don't worry about the revs.The diesel Yeti does a genuine 70mph at around 2200rpm.in 6th gear

No problems at all with my DPF in 10,000 miles.:yes:

The CR140 DSG is the same.

4th at 50mph is fine as well, possibly 3rd at 30mph as well so you don't have to take it down the motorway or get a speeding ticket.

My question is why buy a diesel Yeti for town work? Recently I have had cause to roam the Manchester roads with all its traffic problems and the Yeti is no advantage in these conditions. If I was (heaven forbid) to return to the urban sprawl, I woukd swap the Yeti for a petrol Octavia ASAP.

precisely why I am heading back to petrol after 13 years of Skoda diesels. I mainly do short runs about town and twice a week a ten mile trip to the airport - diesel just didn't make sense and all the stuff about DPF just made my mind up for me.

Interestingly, I drove my wife's 10 year old audi A3, a 1.9 tdi immediately after the 1.2 tsi yeti and I swear the petrol yeti had more oomph for going up hills on the twisty back roads round here. Not as good as my 2.0 Octy but still more than enough. It was the fact that I had to work the Audi harder that surprised me.

• 2 years later...

... if the warning light comes on: "the vehicle should be driven at an even speed of at least 60 km/h at engine speeds of 1 800 - 2 500 rpm for at least 15 minutes or until the warning light goes out with the 4th or 5th gear engaged".

Most of my driving is on roads where that speed for 15 minutes would be dangerous, but I shouldn't be far from a faster road if I ever need it.  Does anyone know the gearing ratios of the 1.6 litre Greenline II ?  Then I can work out what the minimum rpm would be for my particular car.  I assume it's best to go at least at whatever rpm that is, and then be also at least at 60km/h (or 38mph), although I suspect these are quite approximate guidelines. 

I do drive with a light foot. I've only been 400 miles since collecting the car on 7th July, and have used exactly half a tank of Sainsbury's best diesel (6 gallons) making consumption 67mpg. The MFD says 66.8mpg. The extra urban is quoted as 67mpg.  So I'm happy with this, especially since still running in. Half my milage has been the 100 mile collection trip from Glasgow plus a 100 mile round shopping trip to Oban (the nearest big supermarket). Otherwise I'm on single track roads with passing places, lots of blind bends, sheep (some black), cattle, deer and tourists, but few snow monsters.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owning-a-skoda-faqs

quote name="dutyhog" post="3874381" timestamp="1406576749"]... if the warning light comes on: "the vehicle should be driven at an even speed of at least 60 km/h at engine speeds of 1 800 - 2 500 rpm for at least 15 minutes or until the warning light goes out with the 4th or 5th gear engaged".

Most of my driving is on roads where that speed for 15 minutes would be dangerous, but I shouldn't be far from a faster road if I ever need it. Does anyone know the gearing ratios of the 1.6 litre Greenline II ? Then I can work out what the minimum rpm would be for my particular car. I assume it's best to go at least at whatever rpm that is, and then be also at least at 60km/h (or 38mph), although I suspect these are quite approximate guidelines.

I do drive with a light foot. I've only been 400 miles since collecting the car on 7th July, and have used exactly half a tank of Sainsbury's best diesel (6 gallons) making consumption 67mpg. The MFD says 66.8mpg. The extra urban is quoted as 67mpg. So I'm happy with this, especially since still running in. Half my milage has been the 100 mile collection trip from Glasgow plus a 100 mile round shopping trip to Oban (the nearest big supermarket). Otherwise I'm on single track roads with passing places, lots of blind bends, sheep (some black), cattle, deer and tourists, but few snow monsters.

The proceedure you refer to is for the pd engine. The CR guidance is far less restrictive. You just basically drive as normal until the light goes out, BUT in 18 months of ownership I have never had a dpf light come on. Normal regens occur approx every 600 miles or when the soot build up reaches a certain level. You will see the tickover increase slightly and the exhaust may smell a bit hot, but apart from a temporary increase in fuel consuption that will be it so in most cases you won't evennotice it happening. If you turn off the ignition and the fans come on it will be because you've interupted a regen and its cooling the engine bay down. Its nothing to worry about as it will sort itself out, normally having another go at a regen the next time your engine is up to temperature. So far this year I've had 'the fans' once and as long as your not doing all stop start short journeys in towns when the engine doesn't get any longer trips the dpf issue is anon event. Don't worry, just drive and see the link above to skodas website.

Seems people are very confused out there! Just visited a VW dealership where the know it all Sales Executive told us that VW'S DON'T HAVE DPF's

and after I queried his knowledge (a bit put out) said he would consult the best technical person in the Dealership.

He came back with the "sorry I am not that technical but our 'super person' say's they have them", but "you only have to drive 1.5 miles up the road to clear it" Didn't persue it!!!

Coming from one of the largest groups of VW dealerships, I thought some Skoda Dealers were poor but this takes some believing.

Edited by kibby

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but yesterday I was alarmed to find the fan running for a long time after switch off and the Yeti doing a"bum burp"  :)  It was the first time I have ever had a diesel do a regen (that I noticed anyway) when stopped and was not sure at first what was happenng, then I got a whiff of the gases :(

Edited by Alan555

I remember being rather concerned, the first time.  Then I realised that m'Lady would always readily agree to me taking time off to clear it with a brief Italian Tune Up :angel:

• Like 1