Fabia Diesel Particulate Filter

DKR

Hi Folks,

Have had my Fabia 1.9 TDi for a month or so now and very happy with it. One question I have is regarding the Diesel Particulate Filter. I need to know whether my car has one or not so I can get the correct type of oil (VW 505 01 or VW 507 00 according to the manual). Please can somebody advise me how to find this out?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Folks,

Have had my Fabia 1.9 TDi for a month or so now and very happy with it. One question I have is regarding the Diesel Particulate Filter. I need to know whether my car has one or not so I can get the correct type of oil (VW 505 01 or VW 507 00 according to the manual). Please can somebody advise me how to find this out?

Thanks in advance.

Check your handbook. It will show you what the DPF warning light looks like. This always flashes on briefly when you turn on the ignition. Mine is yellow.

If you use castrol 'edge' 5-40....or is it 5-30 ? I forget. Anyway, this oil meets the spec for all regardless of DPF so you can use that. Its what is in mine. Just read the bottle and it lists the VW specs.

Edited by raisbeck

Check your handbook. It will show you what the DPF warning light looks like. This always flashes on briefly when you turn on the ignition. Mine is yellow.

If you use castrol 'edge' 5-40....or is it 5-30 ? I forget. Anyway, this oil meets the spec for all regardless of DPF so you can use that. Its what is in mine. Just read the bottle and it lists the VW specs.

Cheers. I looked up that oil and it is really expensive. I hope there is a cheaper option. As long as it meets the spec I'm happy.

Cheers. I looked up that oil and it is really expensive. I hope there is a cheaper option. As long as it meets the spec I'm happy.

Hi DKR, just one thing I will mention, just because an oil may meet the correct VW spec, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good option to use in your PD engine. Surprising isn't it! Some cheaper VW spec oils are NOT FULLY SYNTHETIC. For example...go to Halfords and checkout what they have on the shelf and in my store there were two brands that were semi-synthetic, but they did meet the VW spec for my car. The price was cheaper than fully synthetic too, a lot cheaper! The main problem with that type of oil is life expectancy of the oil when inside your PD engine. A PD engine hammers it's oil into submission very quickly. It breaks down more quickly than the fully synthetic and in a PD engine you want the very best protection you can get. I use VW's own branded oil which is fully synthetic and of course does meet the spec. This is 'Quantum Platinum' 5-40w. It's a good price (£6.45 + VAT per litre from my Skoda dealer) and has a good shot of the 'extreme pressure' agent in it that PD engines need. But obviously, any good oil such as the one Raisbeck is suggesting will do the job. Oil is the one thing you must never ever economise on with a PD engine. Get good stuff and you will never ever have a problem with your PD engine. Use the wrong or cheap stuff and your PD camshaft will be plasticine in months. Safe motoring buddy!

To answer your question. I too have a 1.9TDI, 08 reg. Mine doesn't have a DPF .I understand they were introduced with the 1.6 diesels but not on the 1.9s.

Yep. As far as I know, the only pre-facelift (07-59 plate) fabia diesel with a DPF is the 1.4TDi Greenline. All the other Fabia 1.4 and 1.9 PD diesels lack them (fortunately).

Edited by MarginWalker

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a non DPF Fabia, 1.4 or 1.9. Is there any easy way of checking whether one is fitted? I see in this post the comment is not pre 07-59 plate except Greenline.

I would appreciate some help on this. Many thanks. Happy New year to everyone.