Battery Booster Pack

HotRod

I have been looking at Battery Booster packs (Mainly for SWMBO's Punto), but it will need the capacity to start a higher powered car (such as my diesel Octy - hey, you never know).

I have noticed a number of them state they will turn over a 2.5 or 3.5 Petrol engine, but are not recommended for diesels.

Is there any reason they are not recommended for diesel engines? My Laguna, was a diesel and the battery died a couple of times and was sucessfully started by jumper cables.

Isn't starting using a booster pack, the same as using a jump leads?

Also - can someone point me help me out with understanding the Amp and Amp/Hours? Some packs state they will do 400 Amp but 900 Amp Peak (whats the difference?)

Any help on choosing a booster pack for my 1.6 CR diesel would be appreciated.

cheers

Rod

Hi Rod

I have never used these "booster packs" I just use a good quality set of jump leads.

The problem is you need to make sure they are charged up, and ready for use, where as all you need with jump leads is to have them in your boot and connect to the starting car, and you can used on any car.

Radiotwo

I'm guessing that the power taken by the glowplugs would be too much for it.

Heres a little question for you:

Which draws more power, a starter motor, or four glow plugs ?

Radiotwo

Never looked at the amperage, but I would say the glow plug. Don't forget you then have to factor in the starter motor as well.

So does;

glow plugs (x4) plus starter motor = petrol starter motor.

The glowplugs take about 8A each so that it is about 32A and continue to draw this current after the glowplug light goes off. The light indicates that the preheat time has elapsed and not that the glowplugs are switched off.

The diesel starter motor is 2kW so that is about 165A

A total of about 200A

A petrol starter motor is just over 1kW so that is about 90A

Never looked at the amperage, but I would say the glow plug. Don't forget you then have to factor in the starter motor as well.

So does;

glow plugs (x4) plus starter motor = petrol starter motor.

As been said, a lot less for glow plugs than the starter, so before you guess, please get your facts right

Radiotwo

Edited by RADIOTWO

As been said, a lot less for glow plugs than the starter, so before you guess, please get your facts right

Radiotwo

Pardon me!!

I think I do have my facts right.

4 glow plugs plus a diesel starter would be more than a simple petrol starter. See rwbaldwin's reply.

You cannot try to start the diesel without the glowplugs coming on; they do it automatically.

I suppose an apology is unlikely?

Guest Tsi Fly

Pardon me!!

I think I do have my facts right.

4 glow plugs plus a diesel starter would be more than a simple petrol starter. See rwbaldwin's reply.

You cannot try to start the diesel without the glowplugs coming on; they do it automatically.

I suppose an apology is unlikely?

I think RADIOTWO was berating himself ! well thats how I read it anyway.

Ref the booster box, go for the highest capacity with the largest cross section boost cable.

Only buy one that the leads are switched so you make your connection to the dead battery without any sparks.

Thanks for the info - if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, would be good.

Will start google shopping for one at lunch and weigh up my options.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 'RING Powering PowerPack 120' which has a 20AH battery instead of the normal 17AH and this has started my neighbours BMW 2lt Diesel twice when his battery was flat last week with no problems.

It is an expensive bit of kit as it has a built in 300 Inverter but no tyre pump - but to start a Diesel I strongly recommend a 20AH battery pack rather than the 17AH variety

I have a 'RING Powering PowerPack 120' which has a 20AH battery instead of the normal 17AH and this has started my neighbours BMW 2lt Diesel twice when his battery was flat last week with no problems.

It is an expensive bit of kit as it has a built in 300 Inverter but no tyre pump - but to start a Diesel I strongly recommend a 20AH battery pack rather than the 17AH variety

Thanks.

I think the missus has bought me one for Xmas - but she wont tell me.. Hope she's kept the receipt if it's not a 20Ah pack :giggle: