1.9 4x4 Clutch Problems

For some time now its been a little difficult to select 1st and reverse - occasionally needing a couple of goes.

More recently the clutch pedal occasionally doesn't fully return to the top of its travel and its now often very difficult to get into 1st or reverse and even harder if stationary to get out of these gears. Also sometimes when stationary in 1st it'll try to creep as if the clutch is dragging.

I've taken it to a garage but they say a) the clutch needs replacing, B) so does the DMF, c) either the slave or master cylinder is dying and that they're buried in the gearbox so its definitely a gearbox off job to replace either of these- is this correct?

I don't believe there's anything wrong (hopefully!) with my DMF or clutch and I'd really like to know which of the slave or master is normally the culprit in these cases and is it really a gear box off job to resolve?

Thanks for any help!! - Andrew

Thanks for the reply - Not really what I wanted to hear though!

Sure its been said before but what a dumb place to put it - on my last car it was bolted on the outside of the gearbox. How easy/costly is the master cylinder to replace as I might try this first if its cheap.

Finally any rough ideas of cost for the slave cylinder as the garage I went to was talking thousands.

Thanks - Andrew

Thanks for the reply - Not really what I wanted to hear though!

Sure its been said before but what a dumb place to put it - on my last car it was bolted on the outside of the gearbox. How easy/costly is the master cylinder to replace as I might try this first if its cheap.

Finally any rough ideas of cost for the slave cylinder as the garage I went to was talking thousands.

Thanks - Andrew

Numerous manufacturers now put the slave cylinder in the bellhousing - its the modern trend.

Slave cylinder is cheap - so cost is mainly that of R&R'ing the gearbox. Few hundred should cover it. The higher cost you quote presumably inclues a new clutch and flywheel?

Yeah the cost I was quoted was clutch, DMF and slave cylinder etc. I'm going to ring round a bit and see what price I can get. The cost quotes was very high as it's a 4x4 so apparently much harder job.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the Nottingham / Derby area to do this work?

I'm left to decide now whether to replace dmf and clutch while I'm at it, but I'm about to sell car and it's not worth a lot as it's done 144k

Thanks - Andrew

Find out where the taxi drivers go they are normally the cheapest, and if the DMF is on its way out fit the single system for a quarter of the price, whole job with single system and new slave cylinder £500, could even be below that

Yeah the cost I was quoted was clutch, DMF and slave cylinder etc. I'm going to ring round a bit and see what price I can get. The cost quotes was very high as it's a 4x4 so apparently much harder job.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the Nottingham / Derby area to do this work?

I'm left to decide now whether to replace dmf and clutch while I'm at it, but I'm about to sell car and it's not worth a lot as it's done 144k

Thanks - Andrew

If Peterbourough isnt too far try Jabbasport, they will be cheaper than a main dealer & know what they are doing as well. They could also recomend alternatives to the std Skoda parts. Theyve had the boxes out of both my 4x4's in the past http://www.jabbasport.com/ They are a briskoda sponsor as well so there may be a bit of discount to be had

I've arranged for a small garage nearby to replace the clutch master cylinder to rule that out of the equation. If this fails its time to remove gear box and replace slave cylinder etc :doh:

If Peterbourough isnt too far try Jabbasport, they will be cheaper than a main dealer & know what they are doing as well. They could also recomend alternatives to the std Skoda parts. Theyve had the boxes out of both my 4x4's in the past http://www.jabbasport.com/ They are a briskoda sponsor as well so there may be a bit of discount to be had

Thanks for that tip - I'm based in Uppingham most of the time so Peterborough is ideal. Roughly what did they charge in the past to remove gearboxes from your 4x4's?

Edited by klu99apm

I've arranged for a small garage nearby to replace the clutch master cylinder to rule that out of the equation. If this fails its time to remove gear box and replace slave cylinder etc :doh:

Thanks for that tip - I'm based in Uppingham most of the time so Peterborough is ideal. Roughly what did they charge in the past to remove gearboxes from your 4x4's?

You will need to ask them as mine were always part of other jobs so dont have a clue how costs could be broken down

• 5 months later...