Folding Mirrors not working

IanLeeds

The mirrors have always folded in by keeping the "lock" button pressed on the remote for 2 seconds.

On Friday the mirrors refused to fold. There was no ice obstructing the mirrors and I've not altered any settings on the MDF.

The mirrors will still fold when operated by the knob on the door so I know they are still operational.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why they have stopped folding or is it a trip to the dealers?

The mirrors have always folded in by keeping the "lock" button pressed on the remote for 2 seconds.

On Friday the mirrors refused to fold. There was no ice obstructing the mirrors and I've not altered any settings on the MDF.

The mirrors will still fold when operated by the knob on the door so I know they are still operational.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why they have stopped folding or is it a trip to the dealers?

I had this also- press unlock on your remote for 2 secs I.e not long enough to open the windows. This should reset the function.

Then press and hold lock as usual to fold the mirrors

Tech1e is correct. You can also have the switch in the "R" position or the position for heating (I think). As long as it is not in the "0" position.

I figured this out when trying to find out why my mirrors folded with the remote and not with the KESSY sensor.

Still haven't got them to fold with KESSY, but the remote works! :)

/P

They fold in on mine OK in the "0" position.

Only issue I did find was if you disable the auto-window opening option, it also disable the mirror-folding too.

Thats strange. I have the convenient open function turned on and my mirrors do not fold in the "0" position when i hold the lock button...

/P

I always keep it in the "L" position so I get the n/s dropped mirror when reversing.

I've just tried the 2 second unlock and I'm on "auto window" but these haven't worked unfortunately.

Looks like I'm back to the dealers next week.

Many thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Apart from this very minor blip the car is perfect.

Thats strange. I have the convenient open function turned on and my mirrors do not fold in the "0" position when i hold the lock button...

/P

Strange "country" wide quirks then?

I was wrong. My mirrors do fold in the "0" position! :)

The strange thing is that they didn't when I was trying to figure out why they don't fold with the KESSY sensor.

Well, now I know! Sorry for the confusion!

/P

Is there any chance they don't fold if the outside temp is below a certain level? Mines fold, didn't fold for one day, then fold again without playing with any settings or resets :wonder:

Is there any chance they don't fold if the outside temp is below a certain level? Mines fold, didn't fold for one day, then fold again without playing with any settings or resets :wonder:

Could be... It has been quite cold here the last couple of days.

/P

Could be... It has been quite cold here the last couple of days.

/P

No, in fact the problem only started when the temperature started warming up (relatively!) and it will still fold when operated from the mirror control knob.

The upshot is that the dealer can't identify the problem so he needs the car in the workshop to rectify the problem.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your input.

Hi All

Had this problem myself 2 weeks ago.

Found a solution on a seat forum.

Simple solution; first open (fully) and then close (fully) all windows, and then try again.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi All

Simple solution; first open (fully) and then close (fully) all windows, and then try again.

Regards

Hi Miljan,

Just been out to try your suggestion and yes it worked.

That's just saved me a visit to the dealers next week. I'll take delight in pointing this out to their service department.

Many thanks.

Regards

• Like 2

Hi Miljan,

Just been out to try your suggestion and yes it worked.

That's just saved me a visit to the dealers next week. I'll take delight in pointing this out to their service department.

Many thanks.

Regards

Hi Ian

Glad to hear it worked for you.

The wealth of information in relation to cars from VAG, available on the internet, never cease to amaze me.

Afterall VW,Audi, Seat and Skoda uses a lot of common components, so a lot of the info is applicable across the VAG brands.

Regards

• 4 months later...

If your windows, or any 1 window is slightly open, they will be closed on the 1st push of the lock button on the key fob. A 2nd separate push is then required to fold the mirrors.

• 2 years later...

Miljan, IanLeeds, what exactly is working for you? Do your mirrors fold only with lock button on remote or also with KESSY sensor on door handle?

Aleš

Casar  - did you get the mirrors shutting with KESSY?

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Regards

Thank you, just had the same issue and the opening and closing of all the windows solved the problem.  Why are Volkswagen group cars so unnecessarily complicated when it comes to simple things?  Never had this with my previous Volvos.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the advice regarding the torque overload on the windows. I tried to open the windows using the key fob and noticed the OSR  window did not open. I then tried to open the window using the drivers door panel and noted that although the window moved the auto up & down did not work. I then operated the window up & down a number of times until the auto up & down worked every time. The door mirrors then folded.

Hope this may help others to look at all aspects of the window opening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think I can explain another part. Yes disconnecting the battery will cause the initialisation to be lost. The process of winding the windows to the end allows it to relearn the endstops, and keep track. The system looks at the speed of the window, and if it slows down before it gets to the end, it will back off.

I'm pretty sure mine has lost this initialisation when I have tried to open the window when its frozen shut. The system seems to decide that as it can't move down, but thinks its at the top, it can't trust itself. The clue will be the one touch up and down will be disabled until you re-initialise.