Folding Mirrors not working

IanLeeds

Had the same problem on my 62 plate superb  as orginally posted plus one of my rear windows would not open when the the key fob was used to open the windows. Miljan's solution (all windows lowered and raised using the driver's door window switches) cured both problems.

Thanks

Another very useful thread to add to an already significant list of 'quirks and settings' I've discovered since joining Briskoda and especially the Superb2 forum. So thanks for posting IanLeeds :)

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

I have the same problem with not folding mirrors on my superb 2011. Just stop working three days ago. I tried all the tips above but still not folding. All windows and roof glass working as expected dou. Any more suggestions/tips?

//Alex from Sweden

Hi all.

I have the same problem with not folding mirrors on my superb 2011. Just stop working three days ago. I tried all the tips above but still not folding. All windows and roof glass working as expected dou. Any more suggestions/tips?

//Alex from Sweden

Hi Alex,

The mirrors fold as normal from the door switch, yes? Try opening the windows by pushing down all four Windows from the drivers door switches and then pull them up together so they close and continue to hold the switches up for four or five seconds after they have closed. Try the door mirrors again.

Cheers... Rob

Hi Alex,

The mirrors fold as normal from the door switch, yes? Try opening the windows by pushing down all four Windows from the drivers door switches and then pull them up together so they close and continue to hold the switches up for four or five seconds after they have closed. Try the door mirrors again.

Cheers... Rob

Hi Rob.

Yes, the mirrors fold down normally from the door knob/switch. I opened all the windows fully and closed them as you said but still no function.

I tried to do this procedure a couple of times and guess what, it finally worked as expected :-)

Maybe I did not hold the switch up enough to do a reset the first time(s).

FINALLY, hehehe

Many thanks

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Rob.

Yes, the mirrors fold down normally from the door knob/switch. I opened all the windows fully and closed them as you said but still no function.

I tried to do this procedure a couple of times and guess what, it finally worked as expected :-)

Maybe I did not hold the switch up enough to do a reset the first time(s).

FINALLY, hehehe

Many thanks

Cheers,

Alex

Good, I'm pleased. It's really important to hold all the switches up for >5 seconds as this resets the window autostop positioning. I still have not fully established why the door mirror folding stops working from the keyfob, but it seems that if you interrupt the window auto closing/opening procedure, that can stop the mirror folding from working when you then lock the car. Anyway, you now know what to do if it does it again! LOL!

Edited by numskull

• 2 weeks later...

If you hold down the lock button the mirrors will fold if they have electric folding. Electric adjustment doesn't necessarily mean electric folding though - I'm not sure if the Fabia comes with this option. If all else fails you could fold the mirrors in yourself I suppose :p. Check the mirror adjustment knob for a 5th position (It will have L, 0, R and Defrost, but there will be another option that you can 't see from the driver's seat without bending forward for folding if you have it).

Edited by psycholist

Thanks for the advice. Worked a treat for me today. As stated, simply sat in the car in ignition on, opened all the windows fully, closed them again, locked car and mirrors folded, simples!  :clap:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about "unnecessarily" complicated.  It is a complex car but things usually happen in a logical fashion.

The reason is thus:  The windows have pinch protection.  This system measures the torque required to close the windows.  If the torque rises suddenly, the door controller assumes that something is blocking the window and reverses the window motor.  This something may be a child's arm for example.

The reason the mirror-fold-by-keyfob was disabled is because the same button closes the windows and then folds the mirrors.  If the windows closing operation does not complete successfully, then it never gets to the point where the mirrors fold in.

The adaptation for the window closing torque is lost when the battery is disconnected.  Quite a few things need to be re-learned by the car when the power is lost and returned such as power steering torque and position, ABS sensor calibration and the window (and sunroof) normal closing torque.

The relearn process requires you to hold the window switch up to close the window and then hold it down to open again.  Therefore you are right next to the window and can ensure that nothing is blocking the glass.

Thanks, I tried this and it worked. Now I understand the process.

Very helpfull! Better than the service of the brand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my experience too, tonight I tried to open my drivers side window but it was frozen shut. I quickly let go of the switch and forgot all about it until I got home and tried to fold the mirrors. They wouldn't fold.

Just been back out to the car, dropped all four windows and closed them all, keeping all four switches held up for a few seconds after the windows had all shut.

Locked the car and held the lock button on the fob and sure enough the mirrors folded successfully. All fixed.

Thanks all!

• 8 months later...

What a very good resource this site is. My mirrors stopped folding in when locking the car so went looking for info found this thread and hey presto my mirrors now fold.

Happy bunny. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I have a problem with the mirrors folding. I can't fold the mirrors neither from the key or from the door mirror joystick. Also I observed that the electric part of the mirror is not working (heating, blinker and the light under the mirror). Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

It sounds like there's an electrical connection problem rather than just a calibration issue as in previous posts. You can get into the mirror by pushing the inside of the mirror glass into the mirror housing and getting your fingers under the outside of the mirror glass and pulling it out until it pops off. Check for any disconnected or rusty looking wires. If that all looks good you'll have to probe the electrical connections to see if power is getting to them. If the indicator isn't working I'm surprised the car isn't giving a failed bulb warning.

Sometimes the wires break where they pass from the body of the car into the door across the door hinge, so if nothing is getting to the mirror this might be the problem.

The entire mirror can be removed by taking the plastic triangle on the inside of the door off and removing 3 bolts that hold the mirror to the door.

• 3 months later...

I've recently got the not folding mirrors problem and just tried the window fix. Thanks guys.

Unfortunately the rear offside window is not functioning and it appears no power is getting to the switch as it is not illuminated. Will search the forum for hints on fixing that then try again.

5 hours ago, wingnut1000 said:

I've recently got the not folding mirrors problem and just tried the window fix. Thanks guys.

Unfortunately the rear offside window is not functioning and it appears no power is getting to the switch as it is not illuminated. Will search the forum for hints on fixing that then try again.

VWs have always had trouble with the wiring loom in the flexible rubber thingy breaking.  This is the wiring between the car body and the door electronigs.  This would cause your symptom.    Prehaps prise back the rubber thingy and see if the wires are broken.

1 hour ago, wingnut1000 said:

Ok. I'll give it a go when back home.

The problem is bigger than the window - the door itself is not locking either !!!

it's all the same module, one module in each door has the window motor, locking servo, outputs for lights etc and for the front doors has further connections for the mirror adjust motors, heaters, blinkers etc.  So that module just has power and CAN bus to it and if any of those 4 connections are interrupted then every function of that module will stop working.

The module is right where a window winder would be in a manual window car and then drives the door locks via a Bowden cable.

I had one fail in a MY07 VW Jetta, replacement was $550AUD including labour at a dealer, however parts in the UK seem to be a lot cheaper as they're not subject to the 'Straya tax.

Turns out that 3 wires between the body and the driver's door are broken, and what i imagine to be the 12v line in (fat and red) is frayed. Thought about soldering but no room and others are likely go later so I've ordereda new loom  (120GBP) and will have a go at fitting it myself. 

I will add this is poor for a 5 year old car with just 60k on the clock. Would like to think Skoda are doing something about it.

I may take some pics of how to do it for others.

On 2/4/2017 at 03:19, wingnut1000 said:

I will add this is poor for a 5 year old car with just 60k on the clock. Would like to think Skoda are doing something about it.

Nah, VW has had a problem with this since the MKV Golf (A5 platform).  They've not done anything effective to solve it.

It's also apparently a common problem with the Superb 3T Combi boot lid loom.

I've also seen it on lots of other cars including Korean and Japanese. 

Mileage isn't really a factor or it. If you think that one person could of just short drives and be opening their door 20 times a day, yet the other does intergalactic on the motorway but only opens it 4 times. Which will wear more?

I had this on previous Superb but fixed my self by soldering with door in situ. 

Hi guys, recently bought my self a new skoda superb its only done 440,000km.

anyway the passenger mirror folds in fine. but then it folds out. it keeps on going. It was a bit tough the first couple of times i did the fold in - fold out.

Cheers

I've replaced the loom with a new one. All good now apart from the nearside mirror not dropping when in reverse; probably a different problem. The pic shows the extent of the damage 3 broken and every other wire was damaged with some badly frayed- I don't think soldering new wires in would have been the answer as it would have meant a lot of heat shrink and the whole thing would have got bulky and stiff.Hinge Section.JPG

Points for people to note if they want to do a replacement themselves (noting that I am no expert):

1. Prise up the panel of window switches on the handle. Free the 2 connectors and remove the 2 size 27 torque screws.

2. Undo the 2 smaller torque screws at the bottom of the door.

3. Remove the locking switch/connector and remove the remaining torque screw.

4. Pull the panel off from the bottom. There are 3 lugs on either side that will probably break so have new ones. When the lugs are out, lift the top off of where it hooks into the window well. The triangular bit covering the mirror was a bit of a pain but I think it should come off if you pull the top bit away into the car (by about 15mm) and then slide up.

5. Then undo the remaining cables and the door release. There's a video on YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-guVmuknM) showing the rear door removal. the front is similar but more plugs, 2 more screws and the mirror bit. Take a picture to remind you how it all looked.

6. All the connectors are different and have little catches that if found make disconnection so much easier. If you have the new one already, study it to work out where the catches are.

7. The hardest connector, by far, was the door lock as it is hidden inside the panel. I drilled out the speaker rivets to remove it to get my hand in but it still didn't quite work. In the end I took the little foam disc off and that enabled a small flat screwdriver in to press on the catch. I'm guessing that's what the hole is for.

8. With everything released, pull the whole loom out through the hinge hole. There you have to push the rubber boot into the door before twisting it to pull it back out.

9. Push/pull the new loom back in through the hinge hole. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Just push each dangly bit through is it comes and reach for it to pull it clear through the side hole. Just don't tug too hard and damage the cables.

10. To get the rubber boot located in the door it has to be pushed through entirely and then pulled back. I found this was easier when I put some washing-up liquid on it.

11. Reconnect all the sockets you can. Make sure all connectors latch properly esp the door lock connector. Cover up that hole. Put the speaker back in. I used 4mm rivets although i think they should have been 4.8mm.

12. Put new studs in the door panel. Hold it in position well enough to reconnect the door catch and the cables. Make sure the remaining cable come through the right holes to connect later. Don't press it home yet. Reconnect the cables to the car and and the door lock/window panel (without fixing properly) and try as much as you can without the door closed, including the mechanical door release. If happy press the studs home, replace the 3 small screws, replace the 2 big screws. Replace the locking switch and window panel.

13. Put the triangular bit back in - slide it down over the 2 lugs then push the 3 lug at the top home.

14. If it all works have a beer.

Thanks for your help guys.

• 1 year later...

Had similar problem after car went for mot, mirrors folded before but not when it came back, would fold manually on the mirror control panel

Did the hold and open all the windows and close again no change- then noticed the rear passenger side window would not go down off the key, worked off the driver control but not the door. Checked for child locks and there is a slot key fits turned this and the mirrors work of the key

Don't know if this is a crossover of the safety features, child lock disables the electric window on that door? Side effect is the window motor overload when closed doesn't confirm and so the mirrors don't fold? 

DSC_0245.JPG

20 minutes ago, Emberpup said:

Don't know if this is a crossover of the safety features, child lock disables the electric window on that door?

When I collected my 2014 FL car, the rear, drivers side door window would not close using the key fob but it would close using the drivers door switches. When I "unset" the child lock on that door after seeing it had been engaged, all was fine. So I think your guess may be correct.