Alarm Goes Off

I don't know if anyone can help me on this...

My car has Maxidot and the doors are set for auto locking when I drive away and reach c. 5 mph. I have also set the door opening to one "click" of the key fob. Apart from these two I believe everything else is as per the original settings. So on to the problem.

Drive to supermarket with passenger.

Park car and leave passenger in car.

Remove keys and shut drivers door and walk to supermarket. I do not lock the car.

Whilst in supermarket, car alarm goes off (much to distress of passenger waiting in the car) .

It is as if the car "sets" the alarm even though I have not operated the central locking to lock the doors. This has happened on more than one occasion.

Any ideas?

There is a button next to the drivers seat on the pillar in between the front and rear doors.

If you press this as you leave the car it is supposed to disable the interior motion sensors if you leave a dog in the car etc.

However I understand this is for when you want to lock the car.

The fact that your alarm is sounding without locking the car certainly sounds to me as though you have a fault somewhere.

Maybe trying pressing the button without locking the car and see if the problem still occurs, this at least may help to isolate the fault?

There is a button next to the drivers seat on the pillar in between the front and rear doors.

If you press this as you leave the car it is supposed to disable the interior motion sensors if you leave a dog in the car etc.

However I understand this is for when you want to lock the car.

The fact that your alarm is sounding without locking the car certainly sounds to me as though you have a fault somewhere.

Maybe trying pressing the button without locking the car and see if the problem still occurs, this at least may help to isolate the fault?

Thanks for your advice. I'd forgotten there was that isolation button.

There are a few security features in the car. My manual states:

"An electronic chip is integratedin the head of the key. The immobiliser is deactivated with the aid of this chip when the key is inserted in the ignition lock. The electronic immobiliser is automatically activated when you withdraw the ignition key from the lock."

I'd always assumed that it just set the immobiliser, but it looks like, if you remove the key (and associated chip) from the car completely it may also set the motion detector. This would be a nice feature in case you forget to lock it.

I've taken the key out of the car regularly (paying for petrol etc) - I just suppose the wife doesn't move fast enough to set the alarm off.

I don't know if anyone can help me on this...

My car has Maxidot and the doors are set for auto locking when I drive away and reach c. 5 mph. I have also set the door opening to one "click" of the key fob. Apart from these two I believe everything else is as per the original settings. So on to the problem.

Drive to supermarket with passenger.

Park car and leave passenger in car.

Remove keys and shut drivers door and walk to supermarket. I do not lock the car.

Whilst in supermarket, car alarm goes off (much to distress of passenger waiting in the car) .

It is as if the car "sets" the alarm even though I have not operated the central locking to lock the doors. This has happened on more than one occasion.

Any ideas?

I could be wrong but, as you've set one click to open all doors I suspect what is happening is the car is arming itself (and locking) once you've left the car.

Its easy to test to see if this is the problem.

If it is then you'll need to go back to two clicks if you plan to leave someone in the car again. The isolation button is something different and although it can be used it still locks your passenger in!

"If it is then you'll need to go back to two clicks if you plan to leave someone in the car again. The isolation button is something different and although it can be used it still locks your passenger in! "

iirc this will stop the doors from being opened from inside the car with the doouble pull of the door handle, but does disable the ulrasonics inside

hth

Edited by uscouter

It sounds more like you have a fault as the alarm should not sound if you have not set it with the remote or key in the ignition. There is a light on the drivers door capping that will flash when the alarm is set. I would count the number of flashes, both slow and fast this light makes as I think this may give an indication of any fault, if there is one.

Ian

When locking the car, my understanding is as follows

1 press of the remote - locks the doors, sets the alarm, operates the deadlocks. If anyone is inside the car they CAN'T open the doors from the inside.

2 presses of the remote - locks the doors, does NOT set the alarm, does NOT operate the deadlocks, does NOT lock the fuel flap. If anyone is inside the car they CAN open the doors from the inside.

This is how mine works anyway, I do two button presses when filling up at the petrol station. With the kids in the car the alarm does not sound and I can open the fuel filler flap, but the doors are locked but not deadlocked as my wife has opened the passenger door with two pulls of the interior handle. Kids can't escape anyway as the reaer door child locks are on.

Have you tried doing it this way, actually locking the car with two presses of the remote?

Still doesn't explain why your alarm seems to be auto arming without you locking the doors though.

For the record, anti-hijack is enabled on mine (doors lock at 10mph) and I have one press opens driver door only. Also, mine is set to unlock doors to the last unlocked state when the ignition key is removed.

1 press of the remote - locks the doors, sets the alarm, operates the deadlocks. If anyone is inside the car they CAN'T open the doors from the inside.

I'm sure the doors can still be unlocked by pressing the lock/unlock button on the centre console?

Not sure, my owners manual states that if the deadlocks are operated the only way of opening the doors is by using the remote or the key in the drivers door. Kind of defeats the object of deadlocks if you can open them by breaking a window and pressing a button :S

Edited by andyvee

Should set the alarm, just not interior monitoring.

True, should have been clearer - the alrm is set but the monitoring of the passenger compartment is turned off.

Still don't understand the OP wanting to leave their car unlocked in a car park, even if someone is inside.

Not sure, my owners manual states that if the deadlocks are operated the only way of opening the doors is by using the remote or the key in the drivers door. Kind of defeats the object of deadlocks if you can open them by breaking a window and pressing a button :S

I guess if after you've broken the window and reached the button to unlock the doors you'll also have been able to reach any valuables stored inside the car?

If they are determined to steal your car I'm sure climbing through the smashed window won't be too much of a hardship for them.

Still, any additional deterrent helps...

So if you...

1) Leave someone in the car.

2) Press the interior motion deactivation button.

3) Then lock the car with the remote activating the deadlocks and walk away.

How does the person inside get out of the car in an emergency if double pulling the door handle or pressing the unlock button won't open the doors?

Is smashing the window the only way?

Hi

Just press the key lock boutton twice on your remote when you go to lock the car, this will turn off the dead locks and enable people to get out or in easy.

Try it with window open!

James

Thanks James, my question was aimed more towards a worse case scenario whereby you dead locked someone in the car and they had no way of getting out easily.

Seems kind of strange for this unlikely but very possible situation to be designed into the car...

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but... I've just had similar today.

Was loading/unloading the car earlier and when I'd finished left it unlocked for 5 minutes with all the doors shut. Opened the drivers door to get in and the alarm went off.

Now, what I have noticed using Carista is a setting that says

"Delay alarm activation

*YES* / NO"

It's set to yes, I haven't touched it.

So my alarm is re arming itself with the car unlocked, which seems unusual.

Can anyone shed any light?

Right just been out and annoyed the neighbours with the alarm again!

Opened car, sat in it for 5 minutes with doors closed looking at some bits, opened door, alarm went off :o

So clearly it's not activating the internal sensors, just the door sensors I think.

Any ideas, it's getting a bit annoying.

Cheers

1) Does the door open light on the dash come on when you open the driver's door?

I ask this because if the micro switch in the door lock does not tell the central controller that the door is open then it will set the alarm after a delay from being unlocked with the remote.

2) Have you tried setting the delay alarm activation to NO with Carista just to see what effect it has?