Yeti Owners Google Map. ***Please read***

davehutch

**********Well, what a shame. Somebody called Marty went to the map on Nov 4th and moved everybody's pins around. Most of them are now in Greenland!

If you'd like the map to continue, please check the position of your car and adjust it if necessary. I seems people are still interested because there have been plenty of new posts lately.

Remember, don't make it TOO accurate if you don't want vagabonds to know where you live!

Hi all, I was trying to see if the Yeti I'd spotted locally was owned by anyone on the forum and it turned out to be pretty difficult so I had an idea...

I've created a Google Map which everyone can add to, showing their APPROXIMATE location in the Country. (Be as accurate or as inaccurate as you wish, but it should represent roughly where you can be spotted and Wave_smiley.gif at)

Hopefully, as time goes by it will be more and more full of little pins showing us taking over the World :giggle:

Joining Google

You will need to quickly set up a Google account to add your "pin".

Once you're logged in, you should see the "Edit" button.

Click on that and three icons will appear at the top left of the map.

One of them is a pin. Click it and drop the pin at the desired location.

You can then edit the text box to display your particular model of Yeti.

To add a picture, you'll need to click on the "Rich Text" option in your placemarker box so the list of optional icons appears, then you can add your image url.

p897678935.jpg

Adding a photo from Flickr

To link to your Flickr photo, click the "Share this" option and then the "Grab the HTML/BBCode code" option. Amongst the code you'll get to a bit that starts "src=". Copy the part starting in "http://" and ending in ".jpg" and that's the link you need to put into Google Maps for your photo.

Removing your pin from the map

You can of course, delete your pin by doing the following:

Click your pin

click edit at the top of the list of pins

Click delete in your placemarker box

...but hopefully you won't want to and this will lead to World Domination mwah mwah mwah

"SteveN" makes it 234 pins and counting...

The Map In Question

Please do NOT add ridiculous locations OR change the name of the map OR delete information other than your own.

Important! If you move somebody else's pin by mistake, hit the "Undo" button that appears at the top of the web page before you do anything else.

Dave

Edited by davehutch

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errm...... for those of us who are technologically challenged ,how do you "set up a quick Google account". :smirk:

I guess I should have said "quickly st up a Google account" ;)

Just go HERE to set one up

Dave

Sounds like fun!

Can you please give some short advice to a google illiterate on how to add a pin...:S

Click on that and three isons will appear at the top left of the map.

You can then edit the text bbox to display your particular model of Yeti and even link to a picture (see mine)

Dave

It has already been done, If you look at your profile on the left hand side where it says location, if you click on that it will show you where the member is from, in my case Cliffe woods.

It has already been done, If you look at your profile on the left hand side where it says location, if you click on that it will show you where the member is from, in my case Cliffe woods.

Unfortunately, not many people put where they are from, or even what car they drive on their profile........emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Mike

and I don't know about you, but I can't visualilse where everyone is from just by looking at a single user's profile.

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the map isn't more interesting and a better graphical representation of the distribution of Yeti owners in the area?

You might find that somebody drops a pin right next to yours and you may never have otherwise known that a like-minded forum member lived just around the corner!

OK, another one for the technologically challenged - how do I put a picture on?

When you first go into edit mode you will be editing in Plain Text, change to rich text and choose the add image option on rar right of options to add a photo. You'll need to be hosting that photo on Photobucket or Flickr or something similar and use the URL the hosting site gives the photo.

Stewart

Hi all, I was trying to see if the Yeti I'd spotted locally was owned by anyone on the forum and it turned out to be pretty difficult so I had an idea...

I've created a Google Map which everyone can add to, showing their APPROXIMATE location in the Country. (Be as accurate or as inaccurate as you wish, but it should represent roughly where you can be spotted and Wave_smiley.gif at)

Hopefully, as time goes by it will be more and more full of little pins showing us taking over the World :giggle:

You will need to quickly set up a Google account to add your "pin".

Click on that and three icons will appear at the top left of the map.

You can then edit the text box to display your particular model of Yeti and even link to a picture (see my entry)

If it doesn't take off, it can just stay online and you can of course, delete your pin but hopefully this will lead to World Domination mwah mwah mwah

30 pins and counting...

The Map In Question

Dave

Nice one, Dave, looks pretty impressive so far.

I'm in Cornwall at the moment, travelled here twice now over the holiday (from London). Just passed the 1k mark on the clock & am absolutely delighted with the SM so far. Have the 2.0 TDi 170 & am averaging around 45mpg so far. On the first Cornwall run, a round trip of 488 miles got 51.5 mpg, didn't go much over 60mph. This trip, so far has returned 41.5 mpg over 244 miles but this was with prolonged use of the cruise control on the m-ways holding steady at the legal limit.

Nice one, Dave, looks pretty impressive so far.

I'm in Cornwall at the moment, travelled here twice now over the holiday (from London). Just passed the 1k mark on the clock & am absolutely delighted with the SM so far. Have the 2.0 TDi 170 & am averaging around 45mpg so far. On the first Cornwall run, a round trip of 488 miles got 51.5 mpg, didn't go much over 60mph. This trip, so far has returned 41.5 mpg over 244 miles but this was with prolonged use of the cruise control on the m-ways holding steady at the legal limit.

Haven't used the cruise control that much so far, but when I do use it, I notice the average mpg for the current trip start to creep DOWN for me

I seem to be at the centre of a Yeti 'black hole' - perhaps that's why I've yet to spot a Yeti locally (except Johann's!)

Just added a pin not too worried about a pic we all know what a yeti looks like and in my own selfish opinion mines the best ! lol

I'm very happy with my choice and would not reconsider another car at the moment it's brilliant in every way including the additional wheels and snow tyres

but if you wanna see look here 2010_1106_082209