Fabia power steering problems?

Tech1e

So that would mean that the sensor is working? Or am I wrong, but when i move the steering wheel the values do not change. So at the moment i would be looking more like on the alternator failure or the Steering Pump?

I did check the plugs on saturday and they were a bit damp....but a quick hairdryer action cured that :rofl: . i also took out the silly sponge thing (was soaking wet). So it looks like I will be £250 lighter :sweat:

Do you maybe have any Idea if I could do some usefull test with VCDS and very basic tools which might help diagnose if it is the pump or not? I wouldnt like spending £250

Edited by peter2117

I've seen the high terminal 30 voltage before and it was a faulty controller in the pump.

Given that the terminal 15 voltage is OK and there is only one ground, you can't really have 18.63v at terminal 30.

• 1 month later...

The issue with the PAS light remaining on, which actually resulted in dangerously intermittent power steering, plagued me for a while and I thought I would post on here that in my case it seems to all be related to the battery. I'll summarise it rather than rambling:

The battery had been replaced with a slightly lower rating one (found this out too late), a Bosch 72Ah 680A CCA, after previous one died.

I was leaving my Fabia VRS for long periods of up to 2 weeks without using it.

The PAS light would only come on when starting from cold so was fine after driving around but I would notice it happening again if left to sit for days. Also if I restarted the car immediately after seeing the light come on it would normally go off and everything was fine.

A year ago now the battery ran completely flat a few times so I put in on an overnight battery charger (6Ah) and since then, although I use the car a little bit more, I have only seen the PAS light issue once.

To me this suggests if the battery is old or does not have high enough CCA then the PAS does not get the ampage required on startup to verify its all ok. I did not read this whole thread so apologies if this has been covered but I did notice some handy hints to verify the alternator that I will carry out if the problem re-occurs.

• 4 weeks later...

My problem is similar, my steering never feels the same, it changes between light and heavy all the time, i have to drive with both hands on the wheel otherwise i can't keep it steady with the constant change of feeling. When side parking the car, very often i can't go from lock to lock without loosing total assistence at least once. (Good arm workout though...)

The light only comes on sometimes during small runs but i do a 150 mile trip every other weekend and it never comes on then.

Edited by vaguel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have no power steering and need some help. I did a VCDS Scan and the results are below. I have no warning light on the dash.

12173o6.png

15pnx8z.png

The only thing I can see on the scan is Group 004 which says to Too Low which I think is the steer aid sensor reference voltage. What does this mean? Any help would be really appreciated. I have already changed the battery as I was hoping that was the issue.

Thanks Kev

• 3 weeks later...

hi , im having problems with my power steering intermittantly, i got kts on it today and the codes that are coming up are , 463a ecu is disabled and 0331power steering thermal protection faulty, im just wondering if any one has experianced these before and how they resolved them ? cheers, steven

• 2 weeks later...

thought i would share this with you all.

daughter has a Fabia vrs 1.9 tdi on an 05 plate.

last friday, loud beep from the dash and the PAS warning light came on. followed by a loss of PAS, no speedo. the traction control warning light, and ABS warning light came on along with i think the red light for the brakes.

turning the engine off then restarting would cure it for a minute or so then it would go off again.

took it to an independent garage who examined car, test drove it and said can't find a fault.

next day i drove it and same thing happened to me as happened to daughter.

i took it to a main dealer Pulmans at Framwellgate Moor Durham.

Diagnosic check showed the fault as a failed ABS hydraulic pump, which i was sceptical about because it went in for steering.

During the process of beingb relieved of £700 for the repair i spoke to the mechanic who worked on it and he explained how speedo, abs, traction control, and PAS are all linked.

My message is dont believe your eyes when you see the PAS warning light, go to the professionals and have it properly diagnosed, at the end of the day you dont have to use them, just their diagnosis.

• 3 weeks later...

thought i would share this with you all.

daughter has a Fabia vrs 1.9 tdi on an 05 plate.

last friday, loud beep from the dash and the PAS warning light came on. followed by a loss of PAS, no speedo. the traction control warning light, and ABS warning light came on along with i think the red light for the brakes.

turning the engine off then restarting would cure it for a minute or so then it would go off again.

took it to an independent garage who examined car, test drove it and said can't find a fault.

next day i drove it and same thing happened to me as happened to daughter.

i took it to a main dealer Pulmans at Framwellgate Moor Durham.

Diagnosic check showed the fault as a failed ABS hydraulic pump, which i was sceptical about because it went in for steering.

During the process of beingb relieved of £700 for the repair i spoke to the mechanic who worked on it and he explained how speedo, abs, traction control, and PAS are all linked.

My message is dont believe your eyes when you see the PAS warning light, go to the professionals and have it properly diagnosed, at the end of the day you dont have to use them, just their diagnosis.

i eat my words.

the car drove ok for 8 day then the same initial problem came back.

taken to an independent garage (couldnt go back to the place where it was repaied because daughter had moved to Bournemouth) who diagnosed a faulty alternator.

apparently the PAS pump needs a certain level of electric current to function correctly and was getting 20% less than needed due to faulty alternator.

the alternator has been removed and reconditioned and up to now the car is working ok.

the mechanics at the independent place rubbished Pulmans diagnosis, and remedy, and claims that abs, pas, traction control, and speedo are all linkd. other than electronically. they also made the point that their mechanics seem to have lost their practical skills relying too much on computer diagnostics alone

Not sure if my experience will help or not, but it might. I used this thread to compile a shortlist for my mechanic to run through as we had the PAS/dimming lights issue. He reported back that all was good and no fault found through initial investigations (steering ECU shows no faults - steering angle sensor all good - voltages/fuses/earth points all good - PAS fluid clean and good level - battery/alternator good etc...). Fault didn't show whilst he had it and worked on it. The following day the PAS failed after a 26 mile drive (light on and no assistance). Switched off and back on - all good as usually happens. This was about 6 weeks ago and it has not done it since even in the extremely cold/wet weather recently. Before the PAS would fail every few days, and exterior lights dimming most of the time, even whilst driving in a straight line (lights).

The day prior to the car going in for the list of checks I had completed the rear door carrier repair on both rear doors because I had wet floor wells in back (definitely carrier problem). Is it possible the water retention in the car could have caused the problem? It would have taken a few days for the car to start to dry out (whilst in workshop and the day it failed after) and now has dried completely with no damp smell anymore. Might be two birds with one stone (and cheap fix) for others if it is related. Check rear footwells for damp/water - if they are wet then do the carrier repair anyway. Could the water be causing earth/short type problem somewhere and causing the PAS and light dimming issue?

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Check rear footwells for damp/water - if they are wet then do the carrier repair anyway. Could the water be causing earth/short type problem somewhere and causing the PAS and light dimming issue?

Hope this helps.

That's interesting you're saying that because I'm having problems with my PAS while I'm having damp footwells too! I've described my problem here, in a seperate topic.

I'm also having battery problems. I replaced the battery since I thought it was bad, but I have a feeling that the new battery isn't holding up too well either.

My PAS problem is not intermittent though and I have no dimming lights issue either as far as I know.

Also, I already have the rear door repair applied, thought something is still getting wet there since the panel was moist when it rained a lot.

I have really no clue what's going on here...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2003 skoda fabia classic 1.2 petrol car month ago. and after one week I saw the pas warning light sometimes when I switch on the engine.it goes off if I switch off and switch on again. when I start the engine at once the warning lights comes on.but if I do it in two steps,( battery first and after few second switch on the engine) then the warning lights wont come up. so it was fine for few weeks. but it yesterday after a cold night I started the engine.did my two steps.switched off and on, but the warning light stayed on.and I felt the steering is heavy for the first time.but after 10 or more tries warning lights were off. but every time time I switch on the engine it takes longer for warning lights to go off.

Can anybody tell me whats happening. do I have to get rid of this car. or is it easily fixable. and HOW MUCH IT WILL COST to repair this fault.

Thank you.

Hi

I have noticed mine flickers on and off for about a second on cold mornings, not had any problems with battery until november when i went on holiday and we had a cold snap and the battery was flat when I returned. The car starts usually first time and still does but sluggish with the PAS light flickering, I am going to change battery and see if this is he issue as I have read elsewhere battery issues can cause PAS fault and it s is the original battery since 2004 so probably due one any way

Many thanks Techie1.. you saved me a fortune.

51 plate fabia 1.4 16v

Intermitant pas failure, intermittant pas warning light, headlights and interior lights flicker as pump audibly fires-up with or without steering wheel movement.

Auto-sparky said i need a new pump without having done proper diagnosis.. told him to leave it. thanks to reading this page first.

time for your check list: healthy battery, check

getting good charge from alternator, check

cleaned battery and pump earth connections, check

pas fluid level, check

followed sensor lead back to sensor... ah haaa... old type plastic case.

fitted new type sensor ( 6Q2 423 291 AX ) and bobs your uncle... sorted.

part cost £135 from skoda but being an exchange part (signified by the "X" at the end of the part num) i get £35 back when i take the old sensor back (within 10 days). The "A" in the part number means it is an ammended part, i.e. not the original bag of **** that has cost countless hundreds of pounds for people who were told they needed a new pump.

Fitted the new part myself in 45mins with the help of this page: http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/pas-sensor-change/

for which i believe you are also responsible for techie1... you freakin legend..

I think the problem is that an auto electritian looking at this prob for the first time wont be able to translate the diagnosis without some research, and it takes a dedicated tradesman to sit down and read the tinternet for an hour or two.

in retrospect i think the tell-tale signs of a faulty sensor as opposed to the pump are the flickering lights coinciding with the audible whiiring of the pump firing up when the steering wheel is not in use.

hope this helps some1 as much as Techie1 and this website have helped me.

wolf (soon to be skoda lover).... (hopefully)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2003 skoda fabia classic 1.2 petrol car month ago. and after one week I saw the pas warning light sometimes when I switch on the engine.it goes off if I switch off and switch on again. when I start the engine at once the warning lights comes on.but if I do it in two steps,( battery first and after few second switch on the engine) then the warning lights wont come up. so it was fine for few weeks. but it yesterday after a cold night I started the engine.did my two steps.switched off and on, but the warning light stayed on.and I felt the steering is heavy for the first time.but after 10 or more tries warning lights were off. but every time time I switch on the engine it takes longer for warning lights to go off.

Can anybody tell me whats happening. do I have to get rid of this car. or is it easily fixable. and HOW MUCH IT WILL COST to repair this fault.

Thank you.

I had exactly the same symptoms and used to go the same routine most mornings, especially when it was cold. The odds are that the battery has never been changed and it's long overdue replacement (even though it will still start the engine, it can't deliver enough current to start the power steering system as well). A new battery will only cost £40 or so online, and will probably sort out the problem. Halfrods will probably charge you about £80-£100 to supply and fit a new one, but you can swap the batteries yourself in five minutes. I changed mine 15 months ago and have not had a warning light since, whereas beforehand it had started to stay on almost constantly - as yours will certainly do before much longer!

Edited by Dave1953

• 2 months later...

I'd like to contribute to this thread after having a whole lot of trouble with my PAS lately. The seperate thread is here, but to cut a long story short:

• One morning, PAS light came on, no PAS. No previous history of PAS problems.
  • Read the OBD with a VAG cable, no signal from sensor, weird low voltages from pump.
  • Checked sensor, seemed fine.
  • Removed the foamy jacket, which was soaking wet.
  • After some weeks, PAS light disappeared, still no PAS.
  • Read the OBD, now voltages were normal and a normal signal from the sensor.
  • Removed the pump from the car, dismantled it and found a blown voltage regulator.
  • Appearantly, water and salt had entered the pump through the silicone seal due to the foamy jacket holding moisture and then destroyed the electronics.

IMG_5339_edit.JPG

IMG_5342_edit.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My problem is the same with PAS and lights flickering (on every 3-4 seconds maybe), when PAS light is on, lights and dashboard stop flickering. Changed alternator relay, but old one was ok, don't know if new one caused problems, but since i've changed it, started problems with revolutions - up and downs, battery is new, but i don't drive very often, any ideas? My sensor is plastic one, no water in it, checked fuses on top of battery, earth ...

multimeter shows from 13,2 to 14,6 (can't remember exactly, but big difference every 3-5 seconds)

sensor error was smth like G250 open or close to plus?!

help pls

(fabia 1.9 sdi 2003)

Edited by f1reblade